Piedmont & Northern Caboose

Eric Hiser <ehiser@...>

I am looking for a photograph of a Piedmont & Northern Caboose, preferably
during the early part of the 20th Century. I have checked the P&N book, but
the photo in it is not very helpful. I know that there is a preserved
caboose at the Railroad Historical Center in Greenwood, SC, but they do not
have a photo of any of the equipment on the webpage. Does anyone have a
photo that they could share or a reference to where one may be? It would be
appreciated!

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

Bob McCarthy

Eric,

     How about we go to Greenwood and get some pictures for you.  What else do you need.

     We are in Columbia, SC and not that far from Greenwood.  Luckily I am married to a woman who has riddden in steam engine cabs as a child.  She likes and understand railroads.

     Want a show of hands for those married guys who have a wife who will say while having dinner, "You know we need to start a communter line from Newberry, SC to Columbia, SC."
I submit I am very lucky, she even has relatives, Uncle Shelby Lowe, who wrote the book on Southern steam, a Grandfather E.E. Lowe who was the Senior Conductor on The Southern Cresent when he retired, with a Great Grandfather Alonzo Lowe who was an engineer for a line that the Southern absorbed.

    So she will say 'road trip' if you send me the website of the museum.  We will get everything we can for you.

     Are you in HO?

Bob McCarthy
Modeling in Scale S the Mighty Central of Georgia in the 1950's

I am looking for a photograph of a Piedmont & Northern Caboose, preferably
during the early part of the 20th Century. I have checked the P&N book, but
the photo in it is not very helpful. I know that there is a preserved
caboose at the Railroad Historical Center in Greenwood, SC, but they do not
have a photo of any of the equipment on the webpage. Does anyone have a
photo that they could share or a reference to where one may be? It would be
appreciated!

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

Eric Hiser <ehiser@...>

Bob:
That would be fabulous. My wife's father is a railfan for the
Piedmont & Northern and my wife has asked me to build him an O scale caboose
of his favorite line to put on the mantle of his fire place. Hence, I am
trying to get a good photo so I can find a close caboose and then build the
requested model, helping me with both wife and father-in-law!
Your help would be deeply, deeply appreciated!
I model HO an extension of the Santa Fe's Clarkdale branch circa
1926, but am happy to learn more about the P&N and the railroads of the SE.

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

I am looking for a photograph of a Piedmont & Northern Caboose, preferably
during the early part of the 20th Century. I have checked the P&N book, but
the photo in it is not very helpful. I know that there is a preserved
caboose at the Railroad Historical Center in Greenwood, SC, but they do not
have a photo of any of the equipment on the webpage. Does anyone have a
photo that they could share or a reference to where one may be? It would be
appreciated!

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

destron@...

I too would be very interested in seeing photos of the P&N caboose (as
well as the P&N office car that's at Greenwood museum, the "Carolina", and
the interurban car), especially if there could be detail photos to make a
good model with!

Eric, if you want info on the P&N's freight cars, please look at not the
last but the issue before last, that has part one of a P&N freight car
article, covering boxcars; part two will follow in the next issue to come
out, and will cover all other freight cars plus MoW - no cabooses though.

Regards,

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

[...]

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos
http://trolleyworld.hostwq.net/index.html - Trolleys and Busses...

Bob McCarthy

Eric,

   Send me a lead on the museum address and website.  I will get startedon the research immediately.

Bob
803-429-1811  1000-2300hrs daily
The mighty Central of Georgia in scale S.

I am looking for a photograph of a Piedmont & Northern Caboose, preferably
during the early part of the 20th Century. I have checked the P&N book, but
the photo in it is not very helpful. I know that there is a preserved
caboose at the Railroad Historical Center in Greenwood, SC, but they do not
have a photo of any of the equipment on the webpage. Does anyone have a
photo that they could share or a reference to where one may be? It would be
appreciated!

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

The Greenwood Railroad Historical Center
(http://www.themuseum-greenwood.org/train.shtml)

is at 106 Main Street in Greenwood, SC. According to the website,
they're open Saturdays 11 to 4 April through October, "weather
permitting", $5 for adults, $2 for kids/seniors/students.

I too would be very interested in seeing photos of the P&N caboose (as
well as the P&N office car that's at Greenwood museum ("Carolina"),
and the interurban car #2102), especially if there could be detail

--- In STMFC@..., Bob McCarthy <thesupplycar@...> wrote:

[...]

Frank,

     Thanks for the lead on the site.  We will go up there next week.  Can you and Eric send us a list of shots you want on each freight/passenger/caboose/locomotive?

Bob McCarthy

I am looking for a photograph of a Piedmont & Northern Caboose,
preferably
during the early part of the 20th Century. I have checked the P&N
book, but
the photo in it is not very helpful. I know that there is a preserved
caboose at the Railroad Historical Center in Greenwood, SC, but they
do not
have a photo of any of the equipment on the webpage. Does anyone have a
photo that they could share or a reference to where one may be? It
would be
appreciated!

Eric Hiser
Phoenix, AZ
ehiser@...

Walter M. Clark

Bob,

OT, but I could not resist<grin>. When I went to pick up my wife for
our first date, she invited me in to meet her parents. I knew I was
in the right place because the current issue of Trains magazine was on
the coffee table.

When SP 4449 was going from southern California to the World's Fair (I
think) in 1984 our daughter was only a few months old. She went with
me, brought the kid, took photos, fed, changed and even stood close to
the track with our daughter in her hands so I could get a photo of
them as SP 4449 went by.

Time stopped in November 1941
Walter M. Clark
Pullman, Washington, USA