New Bulkhead HO scale 70-ton flatcar

Andy Carlson

Intermountain Railway Co.'s dealer newsletter stated that following the may/June delivery of the 70t flat will be bulkhead flat car versions. Perhaps they will model the Santa Fe version????
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 15, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Andy Carlson wrote:

Intermountain Railway Co.'s dealer newsletter stated that following
the may/June delivery of the 70t flat will be bulkhead flat car
versions. Perhaps they will model the Santa Fe version????

Probably not, Andy. When the Santa Fe's Ft-V class were rebuilt as
pulpwood cars, they got an entirely new steel deck that sloped inward
towards the center, as well as end bulkheads. Modeling all that
would require a lot of new tooling.

Richard Hendrickson

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

The InterMountain bulkhead flat car will be the B&O version. Some
enterprising B&O guy sent them the drawings and photos they needed.

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of popular
car types come out because of some consultant's favorite railroad, it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Intermountain Railway Co.'s dealer newsletter stated that following
the may/June delivery of the 70t flat will be bulkhead flat car
versions. Perhaps they will model the Santa Fe version????
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Peter Ness

Hi Richard,
I was one of several that attempted to provide feedback to IM on the
New Haven NE-5 caboose two years prior to production based on the pilot
with no result.

While there are published photos of one type of NH 19000-series
bulkhead flat (low bulkhead), I have a rare image of the high bulkhead
version.

Do you think it's worth sharing with IM or are they better off just
going on their merry way?

I had another dismal experience with True Line Trains on the New Haven
FM CPA24-5...but that wasn't a freight car so is off topic...

Regards,
Peter

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

Probably not, Andy. When the Santa Fe's Ft-V class were rebuilt as
pulpwood cars, they got an entirely new steel deck that sloped
inward
towards the center, as well as end bulkheads. Modeling all that
would require a lot of new tooling.

Richard Hendrickson

SUVCWORR@...

Jim:

What is the B&O class, number series and build dates or rebuild dates for
these anticipated cars?

Rich Orr

In a message dated 10/15/2008 1:57:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jmischke@worldnet.att.net writes:

The InterMountain bulkhead flat car will be the B&O version. Some
enterprising B&O guy sent them the drawings and photos they needed.

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of popular
car types come out because of some consultant's favorite railroad, it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Intermountain Railway Co.'s dealer newsletter stated that following
the may/June delivery of the 70t flat will be bulkhead flat car
versions. Perhaps they will model the Santa Fe version????
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

NHJJ4@...

Jim,
Went to FF B&O site there are 2 types of Bulkhead cars ??? Which one is
being made ??
the flat plate with Braces or the Big Box type ??
Jim ( in the PNW)

In a message dated 10/15/2008 10:58:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

--- In _STMFC@yahoogroups.STM_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) , Andy Carlson

On Oct 15, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Peter Ness wrote:

Hi Richard,
I was one of several that attempted to provide feedback to IM on the
New Haven NE-5 caboose two years prior to production based on the
pilot
with no result.

While there are published photos of one type of NH 19000-series
bulkhead flat (low bulkhead), I have a rare image of the high bulkhead
version.

Do you think it's worth sharing with IM or are they better off just
going on their merry way?

At this point, I think it's a waste of time. Since they have the
drawings for the B&O bulkhead, that's doubtless what they will model,
and they're certainly not going to tool two different bulkheads. At
least they're following the B&O prototype and not inventing something
that's totally bogus.

Richard Hendrickson

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, jim_mischke wrote:

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of popular
car types come out because of some consultant's favorite railroad,
it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee
Jim,
Uhh, what I don't quite understand is why there wasn't a similar vague
reference to the obscure Accurail triple offset-side AAR 70-ton hopper
car that was ONLY correct (albeit poorly rendered Z-sections on the
ends) for 1,000 B&O W-7 cars produced in 1947. I've often wondered how
that "rare" car happened to be selected when there were other superior
choices. Surely the decision wasn't made by some self-interested B&O
modeler. At any rate, I'm glad you have learned the process of how to
get self-interest models produced. Among other good choices, could the
B&O version of the AAR 50-ton hopper car (a car that was built in huge
numbers) be far away? <g>
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SUVCWORR@...

Does anyone make a Duryea underframe conversion kit? Or is the best thing
to fake it by extending the coupler pockets?

Rich Orr

In a message dated 10/21/2008 3:21:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jmischke@worldnet.att.net writes:

Prototype B&O W-7's had Duryea underframes, so the Accurail triple
bay offset side hopper is not quite right.

I did not help with that one. Nor the 1956 Athearn quad hopper.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

[...]

I am not near my library, so I am winging this from memory.

InterMountain was provided photos and documention for B&O class P-31c
bulkhead flat cars.

Further, I believe the B&O class P-25d bulkhead flat car is close in
structure and apprearance.

jmischke@... writes:

The InterMountain bulkhead flat car will be the B&O version. Some
enterprising B&O guy sent them the drawings and photos they
needed.

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of
popular
car types come out because of some consultant's favorite railroad,
it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@> wrote:

Intermountain Railway Co.'s dealer newsletter stated that
following
the may/June delivery of the 70t flat will be bulkhead flat car
versions. Perhaps they will model the Santa Fe version????
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
destination.

SUVCWORR@...

Jim,

Thanks for the info. But I think you may have inadvertently compounded my
problem. I am attempting to convert a few cabooses.

Rich Orr

In a message dated 10/22/2008 4:32:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jmischke@worldnet.att.net writes:

Ted Culotta's Speedwitch makes a Red Caboose M-26 to M-26d/e
conversion fkit and one bundled with a boxcar kit.

The troubles are:

(1) patent research by Bob Witt and myself show that the Duryea
underframe product evolved over time, and B&O always bought the
latest version.

(2) versions for hoppers and boxcars differ a lot.

jmischke@... writes:

Prototype B&O W-7's had Duryea underframes, so the Accurail triple
bay offset side hopper is not quite right.

I did not help with that one. Nor the 1956 Athearn quad hopper.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@> wrote:

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, jim_mischke wrote:

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of
popular
> > car types come out because of some consultant's favorite
railroad,
it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee
Jim,
Uhh, what I don't quite understand is why there wasn't a similar
vague
reference to the obscure Accurail triple offset-side AAR 70-ton
hopper
> car that was ONLY correct (albeit poorly rendered Z-sections on
the
ends) for 1,000 B&O W-7 cars produced in 1947. I've often
wondered
how
that "rare" car happened to be selected when there were other
superior
choices. Surely the decision wasn't made by some self-interested
B&O
modeler. At any rate, I'm glad you have learned the process of
how
get self-interest models produced. Among other good choices,
could
the
B&O version of the AAR 50-ton hopper car (a car that was built
in
huge
numbers) be far away? <g>
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
destination.

SUVCWORR@...

Thanks Jim.

Rich Orr

In a message dated 10/22/2008 4:44:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jimandlisa97225@verizon.net writes:

Sunshine sells "4 General American Duryea underframe parts/details for
modification of plastic & resin 40' boxcar kits" which might be useful.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>