Coaling Towers & black STMFCs

al_brown03

Detail will show A-O-K on a black STMFC if it's weathered a little. I
like to use "grimy black" or "weathered black" as my base color (as
opposed to "engine black", which will obscure detail) and go from
there. I imagine detail on a black coaling tower would behave
similarly.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Mateyko" <rattler21@...> wrote:

I am scratch building a free lance wood coaling tower. Was any
wood
coaling tower a color other than flat black? With all the detail
in a
coaling tower that is hidden when a coat of black is applied, I am
thinking of painting the skeleton Santa Fe red and the walls of the
coal bin either yellow or staining the boards with diluted Min-
Wax.
Either one would bring out the details of the walls of the bin and
hopefully draw visitors' eyes to the structure.
One disadvantage is that it might look too 'Lionelish'.

Raymond Young

Hello,

You might try a black or Santa Fe Mineral Brown wash to stain the wood rather than painting it an opaque color.  You can always come back with the paint applied in protected areas only for variable effects.  Or, if you don't like that result, use a subdued black such as Floquil Weathered Black.  Above all, don't use an intense black such as Engine Black.

If you search the web, you can find pictures of the Chama, NM coaling tower, or other wooden coaling towers.  Use these photos as painting guides.

Regards,

Virgil Young
Amarillo, TX