Gons w/wood floors

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 11/11/2008 3:55:36 PM Central Standard Time,
bierglaeser@... writes:

This may not have passed because I can't recall ever seeing a gondola
or a picture of a gondola with an 8 inch ring with the letter W in
the middle.

Gene,

Sure it did...look on pages 487 and 494. The proposition was adopted (via
letter ballot) as "recommended" practice and became effective March 1, 1957.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Brown Deer, WI
Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

Quoting from the 1956 Proceedings of the AAR's Mechanaical
Division, "IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS FOR GONDOLA CARS EQUIPPED WITH
WOOD FLOORS

"The General Committee, Operating-Transportation Division,
unanimously adopted the provision to the effect that all gondola cars
equipped with wood floors should be so designated by a symbol "W"
stencilled on the side of the car in order to save time in switching
as well as protect the placing of cars with wood floors where they
are not desired or required.

"The Mechanical Division was instructed to provide for a location on
the side of the car and a type of designation symbol so that
stencilling on all such cars would be uniform.

"A new plate as shown in Exhibit "M" of this report has been prepared
covering this request and is respectfully submitted as a letter
ballot item for approval by the members."

This may not have passed because I can't recall ever seeing a gondola
or a picture of a gondola with an 8 inch ring with the letter W in
the middle. Has anyone else ever come across such a stencil on a
gondola?

Gene Green

Scott Pitzer

I can't recall ever seeing a gondola
or a picture of a gondola with an 8 inch ring with the letter W in
the middle.
I've seen it on C&O gons, circa 1960 (roughly.)
Scott Pitzer

George Hollwedel

I've seen pictures of WP gons with the W

Prototype N Scale Models (TM)
by George Hollwedel
310 Loma Verde St
Buda, TX 78610-9785