BCK boxcar roof color?

Bud Rindfleisch

Hi guys,
I'm trying to help a friend with info on the roof color of the Buffalo Creek boxcars, does anyone have that info? I am guessing when new they were unpainted galvanized, but Champ's lettering book calls for b.c. red sides and roof and black ends. I know that many times those sources are inaccurate.
My own experiences when I was a brakeman on the Buffalo Creek (1968) was at that period in time none of the roofs were "color" distinguishable they all were "grain spillage and pigeon dropping" grunge (defintely not a Crayola color choice for the kiddies!)
My friend models the mid fifties if that helps.
Thanks,
Bud Rindfleisch

Ed Hawkins

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Bud Rindfleisch wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend with info on the roof color of the
Buffalo Creek boxcars, does anyone have that info? I am guessing when
new they were unpainted galvanized, but Champ's lettering book calls
for
b.c. red sides and roof and black ends. I know that many times those
sources are inaccurate.
Bud,
According to AC&F bill of materials for series 1500-1999, sides were
brown. Ends, underframes, brake parts, and trucks were black. There is
nothing specified for the roof, so it's presumed it was left unpainted.
Photos of PS-1 BCK cars and the 1956-built AC&F cars show the roofs
were unpainted.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Bud Rindfleisch wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend with info on the roof color of the
Buffalo Creek boxcars, does anyone have that info? I am guessing when
new they were unpainted galvanized, but Champ's lettering book calls
for
b.c. red sides and roof and black ends. I know that many times those
sources are inaccurate.
Unpainted galvanized roofs. Some high angle shows appear to show black car
cement seam caps, may just be shadows, see pages 68 and 69 of the Morning
Sun book BR&P Vol 1.

You could have asked me this Saturday Bud.

Brian carlson

armprem

There was considerable "overspray" from the sides also.Armand Premo

>> On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Bud Rindfleisch wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to help a friend with info on the roof color of the
>> > Buffalo Creek boxcars, does anyone have that info? I am guessing when
>> > new they were unpainted galvanized, but Champ's lettering book calls
>> > for
>> > b.c. red sides and roof and black ends. I know that many times those
>> > sources are inaccurate.
>
> Unpainted galvanized roofs. Some high angle shows appear to show black car
> cement seam caps, may just be shadows, see pages 68 and 69 of the Morning
> Sun book BR&P Vol 1.
>
> You could have asked me this Saturday Bud.
>
> Brian carlson

> --

B.T. Charles

Along with brown/black over spray, I would imagine that rotting
feed/flour would make the roof appear to be black as well.

Romi Romano

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bud Rindfleisch <BlackDiamondRR@...> wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm trying to help a friend with info on the roof color of the
Buffalo Creek boxcars, does anyone have that info? I am guessing when
new they were unpainted galvanized, but Champ's lettering book calls
for
b.c. red sides and roof and black ends. I know that many times those
sources are inaccurate.
My own experiences when I was a brakeman on the Buffalo Creek
(1968) was at that period in time none of the roofs were "color"
distinguishable they all were "grain spillage and pigeon dropping"
grunge (defintely not a Crayola color choice for the kiddies!)
My friend models the mid fifties if that helps.
Thanks,
Bud Rindfleisch

Bud Rindfleisch

Ed,
Thanks for the info. I knew I would get accurate information on this list.
Bud Rindfleisch

Bud Rindfleisch

Brian,
Thank you also for the BCK roof info......I couldn't have asked you Saturday, the question wasn't asked of me until Monday! Now those M&W Ball line cars......that's where I need more help (plans?)
Bud Rindfleisch

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Bud Rindfleisch asked:
"Now those M&W Ball line cars......that's where I need more help
(plans?)"

Which ones - the Mather cars or their secondhand rebuilt boxcars?

Ben Hom

Bud Rindfleisch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bud Rindfleisch asked:
"Now those M&W Ball line cars......that's where I need more help
(plans?)"

Which ones - the Mather cars or their secondhand rebuilt boxcars?

Ben Hom
Ben,
I've been trying to find scale plans for the Mather patent Ball
line cars in either 1100 or 1200 series. I'd like to build at least
one in S scale.
Bud Rindfleisch

Thomas Baker

Bud,

In O scale, the San Juan Car Company makes a Mather kit. If a person on this list has assembled such a car, he might be willing for a price to photocopy the plans which could be scaled down to S. On the other hand, the plans might be just text and isometric drawings which will help but not as much as elevation drawings. Is this the type of Mather car you're talking about? I would like to build one of them, too. I think C&IM also had some Mather SS cars.

Tom