From: ed_mines
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:15 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Bronx photo

--- In STMFC@..., "John Hile" <john66h@...> wrote:
.....page also includes other new photos: (1) a 1948 b&w photo showing
a 25-car trainload of Chateau Martin wine after arrival in the Bronx,
NY,

I'm surprised to see wine arriving in what appears to be regular,
single dome tank cars. I don't think those cars could have been used
for anything previously except to haul wine.

Ed

Larry Jackman <Ljack70117@...>

Back in the 40/50s Gallo made a blue grape wine called TOKAY. You could buy it for 50 cents a bottle. It tasted very bad but the Winos bought it by the case. We nicked named it I. W..Tokay. That was probably one of the wines shipped in the cars with insulation. Between Tokay and Bay Rum we kept the winos pretty well hooked.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...

Ed - NYC is a big place with lots of drinkers. :) - Al Westerfield
.....page also includes other new photos: (1) a 1948 b&w photo showing
a 25-car trainload of Chateau Martin wine after arrival in the Bronx,
NY,

I'm surprised to see wine arriving in what appears to be regular,
single dome tank cars. I don't think those cars could have been used
for anything previously except to haul wine.

Ed

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., " Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:
NYC is a big place with lots of drinkers. :) - Al Westerfield

Al I think you misunderstood my comment. I'll bet even winos prefer
their cheap wine without kerosene in it. Maybe the government too.

Cleaning 8000 gallon tanks is a big job.

Did wineries make any other products that weren't consumed? Like paint
remover?

Back in the day when I knocked down a few I decided to do some work on
a N&W Quality Craft caboose I was building after a night of drinking. I
didn't notice that one of the spacer blocks is behind the small window.

Ed