ATSF 1300-Series Wood Cabooses

Paul Hillman

Walthers is selling their ATSF 1300-series wood cabooses in 2 types,
either as the 1938 to 1943 version, or 1943 to Retirement version.

Their pictures for the 1938 to 1943 version, show the "right-side"
(offset cupola to the left) with 3 side-windows, & the ATSF lettering
with periods.

Their pictures for the 1943 to Retirement version, show the "left-
side" (offset cupola to the right) with 4 side-windows, & the ATSF
lettering without periods.

I couldn't find prototype pictures or drawings of the 1300's on the
ATSF historical site or elsewhere.

What were the 1943 changes? Just the lettering or the addition of a
4th window? The lettering style looks the same for both versions,
just the periods missing after 1943.

Also, always, the main question,...is this an "accurate" physical
model?

Walthers part #'s, 932-27582 & 932-27583

Paul Hillman

Steve SANDIFER

The only difference is the lettering.
It is an accurate model.
http://atsfrr.net/Reviews/HO/Freight/WalCab/Index.htm
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

[...]

Thanks Steve,

Good info. Would like to see some prototype photos. Still looking.

[...]

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Hello Paul,

The only changes were to the lettering. The ampersand was omitted beginning in 1938 (A.T.S.F.) and the periods were omitted (ATSF) beginning in 1943. The windows, three on one side and four on the other, stayed the same. There are photos of a caboose of this series on the Santa Fe society Web site at http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/sfr42.html.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@mrmag.com
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-1142

Steve SANDIFER

If you can find them (out of print), the best resources are the Priest book and the Ellington book on Santa Fe Waycars. Ebay and bookfinder.com are two good resources. Their use depends on the era you model. I model 1951-53, so they were on branch line and MOW by that time. The steel cars were the primary waycars during my era, and rumor has it that a major manufacturer is coming out with those soon, a substantial upgrade to Athearn.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

The steel cars were the primary waycars during my era, and rumor has it that a major manufacturer is coming out with those soon, a substantial upgrade to Athearn.<
Intermountain has plans to do the back-dated version of this car that was originally produced by Centiala. They had drawings but not samples at the National in SoCa. Supected date is '09 but then we know how dates are!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

atsfsd26 <davenorth@...>

Hi Paul,
Here is a link to some pics of 1426 taken in 1955.
http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/sfr42.html
cheers
Dave

[...]

Thanks Andy & all, for the links & info.

I guess I had found a photo on the SF-HS site of the 1300 series, under Links-Waycars-Caboose Photos by Don Ross, of #1430 in Chicago, ILL July 1969. I didn't know that it was of the 1300-series.

Looks like the Santa Fe had at least 131 cabooses of the 1300-series. What was the complete series numbers?

Paul Hillman