Topics

Photo of cheap pipe load

James SANDIFER

The link is to a photo of a Santa Fe emergency war gondola (Tichy) with an el-cheapo pipe load of coffee stirrers from What-A-Burger. They measure out as 10" diameter pipe. They are also 50' long, which may be too long for prototype.

I laid a normal drinking straw on top of the load (not normal practice) and it measured 20" in diameter.

From prototype photos I have seen, both are of useable size for realistic loads.

The straps are chart tape. It is for show only and does not hold anything together.

You don't glue the straws together with any plastic glue that I have found. I use barge cement.

http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/Lay/PipeLoad.jpg

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...