Topics

C&BT Santa Fe reefer question

Tim O'Connor

I've got C&BT Shops kit R700, with 6' plug door,
4/4 ends, Preco fan plate on the side -- C&BT calls
this version "C1" whatever that means. The kits were
produced with the help of the SFMO and included is a
cross reference but -- I can't figure out exactly
which car is represented by this kit.

Looking through the Santa Fe reefers book, this body
looks very similar to some Rr-34, Rr-35 and Rr-40 cars
but none of the photos shows the exact combination of
ends and fan plate and door gussets.

So... any one know exactly what this kit represents?

Tim O'Connor

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

According to a chart I have from Cc7BT, it's an Rr-35. The C1 just indicates
which C&BT body it is.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

I've got C&BT Shops kit R700, with 6' plug door,
4/4 ends, Preco fan plate on the side -- C&BT calls
this version "C1" whatever that means. The kits were
produced with the help of the SFMO and included is a
cross reference but -- I can't figure out exactly
which car is represented by this kit.

Looking through the Santa Fe reefers book, this body
looks very similar to some Rr-34, Rr-35 and Rr-40 cars
but none of the photos shows the exact combination of
ends and fan plate and door gussets.

So... any one know exactly what this kit represents?

Keith Jordan

I've got C&BT Shops kit R700, with 6' plug door,
4/4 ends, Preco fan plate on the side -- C&BT calls
this version "C1" whatever that means. The kits were
produced with the help of the SFMO and included is a
cross reference but -- I can't figure out exactly
which car is represented by this kit.

Looking through the Santa Fe reefers book, this body
looks very similar to some Rr-34, Rr-35 and Rr-40 cars
but none of the photos shows the exact combination of
ends and fan plate and door gussets.

So... any one know exactly what this kit represents?

Tim O'Connor
Tim and Others,

Here's the "key" to the C&BT versions: A,B,C,D,E all represent SFRD
classes with similar body styles, a "1" suffix denotes the body style
modernized, typically with six foot sliding doors.

A Classes Rr-19, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 32
B Classes Rr-33, 34
C Classes Rr-35, 36, 39, 40
D Class Rr-43
E Classes Rr-45, 46

Thus a C1 is an Rr-35, 36, 39 or 40 after modernization with six foot
sliding doors and electric fans. I hope this helps.

Keith Jordan

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 7, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I've got C&BT Shops kit R700, with 6' plug door,
4/4 ends, Preco fan plate on the side -- C&BT calls
this version "C1" whatever that means. The kits were
produced with the help of the SFMO and included is a
cross reference but -- I can't figure out exactly
which car is represented by this kit.

Looking through the Santa Fe reefers book, this body
looks very similar to some Rr-34, Rr-35 and Rr-40 cars
but none of the photos shows the exact combination of
ends and fan plate and door gussets.

So... any one know exactly what this kit represents?

Since plug doors are way out of my modeling era, I don't have any of
these C&BT kits. But if you could shoot a couple of digital images
of the car body and send 'em along as attachments, I can probably
answer your question.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Keith, Jim and Richard, that helps a lot.

Do the circular fan plates (Preco?) in the car sides
represent the final version of the rebuilt cars, or an
earlier version? I notice that many of the photos show
cars without the fan plates, but it looks like cars of
both kinds (with & without) lasted into the 1960's.

Tim