Topics

Prototype Rails/Cocoa Beach 2009 update

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Those making or planning to make reservations at the Hilton Hotel for Prototype Rails may notice that they are not guaranteed the bed accomodation they may ask for. Instead, the reservation system...not now located in the hotel...will only note that the type of room is accepted as a request. Fear not. The hotel will be able to accomodate room requests. If you have a concern, however, call 321-613-9040 for Paulette or Maggie and you will be able to specify exactly what you need...and get it.

You might also be told at some point that the Prototype Rails room block is full. Again...fear not. Go ahead and make your reservation, let me know, and I'll make sure you get the Prototype Rails room rate and I'll increase the room block.

BTW...current temp is 79�, sunny [ for those in the Northwest, that means if you look up, you can see the sun ], wind out of the SE at 10 mph [ cool breeze ].

The current clinic schedule can be found at:

http://www.prototyperails.com/PR%2709_rev05-mr.html

Here's the latest flyer:

PROTOTYPE RAILS

COCOA BEACH, FL, JAN 8-11, 2009

AN NMRA SANCTIONED EVENT

A RAILROAD PROTOTYPE MODELING MEET FEATURING
MODULAR LAYOUTS IN O, HO AND N SCALE

OVER 400 MODELS ON DISPLAY, PROTOTYPE BASED LAYOUTS
PLEASE BRING MODELS

Clinicians:

Larry Kline Richard Hendrickson Tony Thompson Bill Darnaby Mike Rose

Roger Hinman Mont Switzer Bruce Smith Ted Culotta Tony Koester Jim Eudaly

Andy Sperandeo Bob Webber John Roberts Bill Schaumburg George Eichelberger

Calvin Winter Alex Conta Brian Carlson John Greedy Lou Ullian Clark Propst

John Golden Ted Pamperin Bob Karig Andy Harman Jim Singer Lance Mindheim

Greg Martin Tom Bissett Joe Oates Greg Komar Barret Johnson Jon Addison

Harold McGee Gene Trescot Frank Peacock Tom Wilson Jim Murrie Dan Zugelter

John Wilkes Dave Nelson Scott Mason Bob Miller Brian Nolan Mike Brock

Manufacturers/Dealers: Walthers, Branchline, Intermountain, Broadway Limited, Southern Car & Foundry, Speedwitch Models, Tangent Scale Models, Westerfield, 5th Avenue Shops, Dave Hoffman, F & C, Trolleys N' Dollies, Bob's Photos, John C. La Rue Photos, Jay Williams Photos, Mainline Photos, ACL/SAL HS,

HILTON HOTEL, 1550 N. Atlantic Ave. [ highway A1a ], COCOA BEACH, FL, 1-800-526-2609 or 321-799-0003. $99 Room Rate. Refer to Prototype Rails. Preregistration $35, payable to Prototype Rails, to Marty Megregian, 480 Gails Way, Merritt Island, FL 32953.

There will be op sessions available on Thursday Jan 8 at John Wilkes [ 863-604-4854 ] and Mike Brock's [ 321-453-4140 ] layouts. Those wishing to join in a session should indicate their choices in preregistration and make direct contact with the layout owner. Selection will be on a first come basis. Layouts including Lou Ullian's On3 and Dan Zugelter's C&O will be available for visitation on Sunday. For early arrivals, there will be a dinner at Durango's in Cocoa Beach Thursday evening Jan 8, at 7 PM. We will meet in the Hilton lobby at 6:30. Following the dinner we will return to the hotel for slide shows and clinics.
A special dinner on Saturday, Jan 10, for Prototype Rails attendees only will be available for $ 20/person. Tickets are required and must be purchased no later than Saturday morning. Tickets may be purchased and reserved in advance and included with the cost of registration. Registration plus dinner is $55/person. Spouses not attending presentations do not have to register.

There will be a bulletin board available just for listing items that an attendee might wish to sell. The name and room number of the seller must be included. Potential buyers can list their name and/or contact the seller. Selling in the ballroom will not be permitted except for approved dealers.

FOR INFORMATION: Contact Mike Brock at: brockm@brevard.net or 321-453-4140.

Mike Brock

cinderandeight@...

Hey, you guys might laugh, but last weekend I spent an evening riding behind
and enjoying a DR&W K26 mudhen in fresh snow. It's steam was great, and the
first car in the train was a EBT hopper car. All 10 minutes from my house in
Michigan.
Weather is what you make of it.
Rich Burg

Greg Martin

Mike Wrote:

BTW...current temp is 79°, sunny [ for those in the Northwest, that means if
you look up, you can see the sun ], wind out of the SE at 10 mph [ cool
breeze ].

Mike,

Your temps appear to about 76 on Monday, we here in the PNW from Ashland north should see temps no higher in the daytime than 32 and lower in the Columbia River Gorge... Those freight cars heading out to Hinke might have a small snow pack on the roofs. Were getting our first Nor-wester this weekend with perhaps a little snow on the valley floor...

Richard are your headed up to Mt. Ashland for some skiing?

Greg Martin

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Mike Brock wrote:

BTW...current temp is 79°, sunny [ for those in the Northwest, that
means if
you look up, you can see the sun ], wind out of the SE at 10 mph
[ cool
breeze ].

What's with this gratuitous sneer at weather in the Northwest???
Today in Ashland it's clear, sunny, and dry (i.e., no Florida-style
high humidity), the wind is calm, and the temp is around 52. Ideal
weather for outdoor activities. I just got back from an hour of
flying aerobatic practice in the Citabria. What's not to like?

Richard Hendrickson

Andy Carlson

Everybody who is considering moving to the West coast, from Southern California to the Puget Sound, please consider moving to Florida, instead! (Consider Texas, too) Much better weather, and no fires and earthquakes to threaten your lives. People who move to the west wish they had instead moved to Florida. It is not too late--you must stay away from the WEST!!!!!!!!

-Andy Carlson
shivering from thoughts of the next dreaded catastrophe coming our way.

________________________________
BTW...current temp is 79°, sunny [ for those in the Northwest, that means if
you look up, you can see the sun ], wind out of the SE at 10 mph [ cool
breeze ].

Mike,

Your temps appear to about 76 on Monday, we here in the PNW from Ashland north should see temps no higher in the daytime than 32 and lower in the Columbia River Gorge... Those freight cars heading out to Hinke might have a small snow pack on the roofs. Were getting our first Nor-wester this weekend with perhaps a little snow on the valley floor...

Richard are your headed up to Mt. Ashland for some skiing?

Greg Martin

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Greg Martin says:

" Those freight cars heading out to Hinke might have a small snow pack on the roofs. Were getting our first Nor-wester this weekend with perhaps a little snow on the valley floor...

Richard are your headed up to Mt. Ashland for some skiing?"

Skiing? On a mountain.?..whatever that is. Is their some kind of lake up there...heated by volcanic activity? Odd...

Mike Brock

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Richard Hendrickson writes:

"What's with this gratuitous sneer at weather in the Northwest???"

Sneer? Hardly. A guy living in western Oregon visited here a few yrs ago arrived at night and, awaking the next morning, was seen to wander outside, look up and, evidently stunned, aclaimed...The Sun!!! We couldn't figure out what the problem was until he mentioned later that he had not seen it in several yrs.

"Today in Ashland it's clear, sunny, and dry (i.e., no Florida-style
high humidity),"

Well, of course, in the summer the humidity does seem a bit high...but not now.

"...the wind is calm, and the temp is around 52."

Geeez. Isn't that below freezing?

"Ideal
weather for outdoor activities."

I can't play golf in an overcoat...or do much else. I don't even go seek out steam era frt cars at the local shops.

"I just got back from an hour of
flying aerobatic practice in the Citabria. What's not to like?"

Well...I CAN see the advantage of not having to worry about cooling one's beer. Other than that...??

Think I'll take a dip in the pool...before lunch outside.

Richard Hendrickson

Aley, Jeff A

Shall I start up the "My Weather is Nicer than Your Weather" Yahoo!Group? [Hint: THIS Yahoo!Group is about Steam-Era Freight Cars.]

Regards,

-Jeff Aley
[Soon to be Ex- ] Deputy Moderator, STMFC

P.S. Those of you who ARE interested in Steam-Era Freight Cars are encouraged to attend the various Prototype Modeling meets around the country, especially Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beach, FL. See http://www.prototyperails.com<http://www.prototyperails.com/> for details.

[...]

CJ Riley

"What's with this gratuitous sneer at weather in the Northwest??? "

I don't know what you mean, Mike.  I have lived here long enough that I haven't worn a raincoat in several years. I did put my down vest on last night as a left for a meeting, thinking it might be a cool night. I didn't need it as it got down to only 45.  Seemed almost balmy compared to many nights in Pittsburgh.
CJ RileyBainbridge Island WA

CJ Riley