1925 photos around Omaha

proto48er

Guys -

Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>

A.T. Kott

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

A.T. Kott wrote:
Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era. The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!
<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>
Obviously you don't have the new Billboard Reefer book, or you'd know all about it--and also that the Old Dutch advert was only on one side of the car.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 10, 2008, at 3:22 PM, proto48er wrote:

Guys -

Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>

A.T. Kott

Interesting photos, A. T. Thanks for the reference. But you
obviously haven't seen the recent book on Billboard Refrigerator Cars
by Ed Kaminski and myself, in which several Cudahy cars with Old
Dutch Cleanser advertising are shown. The book points out that most,
if not all, cars with ODC advertising on one side had some other type
of Cudahy advertising on the other side, and also that ODC
advertising came in different forms; not al the cars that had it were
alike.

Richard Hendrickson

Charles Morrill

There are some great yard trackwork photos in that series. I was particularly fascinated by the three way point switch. What a fun project to build in 1/48 scale.
Charlie

Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>

A.T. Kott

S hed <shed999@...>

Excellent photos especially showing the end of one of the Wilson stock cars, which I have had a hard time finding a photo of a complete car. This is the only picture of one of the ex-LLT stock cars (see attachment).

The Wilson stock cars were ex-Lackawanna Live Stock Transportation Co cars built sometime before 1915 and they lasted until sometime between 1935 and 1940. Lackawanna Live Stock was headquartered in Chicago.

Lackawanna and Cold Blast Transportation Co were somehow linked together and were purchased sometime between 1915 and 1919. CBT reefers were used by S&S to transport their meat products (see the other attachment). Control of S&S went to Thomas Wilson in 1916, who was the former president of Morris & Co. The name of S&S was changed to Wilson & Co and joined Armour, Wilson, Cudahy, and Swift as one of the country's big five meat packers.

Another large meat packer was Morris & Co which was bought by Armour in 1923. Morris was considered one of the "Big 5" monopolistic meat packers that the government tried to break up. They were also called the "Beef Trust".

Armour ended up divesting itself a large portion of its assets in 1919 which resulted in the formation of Fruit Growers Express but did manage to hold onto its meat business. The Big 5 was made up of Armour, Morris, Wilson, Cudahy, and Swift. Which you can see that they had a big infleunce in Omaha by the pictures on the website.

A 1922 New York Times article that I have reports that Armour had total assets worth $480 million dollars, Morris ($91 million), Swift ($361 million), Wilson ($192 million), and Cudahy ($61 million). This is in 1922 dollars so I have no idea what it is in today's dollars.

A combined value of the Armour / Morris merger would give them a total worth of $571 million compared to the combination of the other three companies of $524 million. I am sure a lot of people were surprised that the merger was approved by the US government. But then we are talking about Armour and Morris having their headquarters in Chicago. And we know what Chicago politics are like.

You can also imagine how much Armour was worth before the 1919 breakup if their meat business was worth $480 million dollars in 1925.

Anyway, one of the pictures on the website show the Morris & Co packing plant, which in 1925 is technically now Armour & Co. It is a good assumption that Armour hadn't gotten around to repainting the building since Morris owned several meat packing plants around the country. Morris lettered reefers, tanks cars, and stock cars lasted until sometime between 1930 and 1935.
Thanks AT for posting this.

Steve Hedlund
Everett, WA

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.comFrom: atkott@swbell.netDate: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:22:35 +0000Subject: [STMFC] 1925 photos around Omaha

Guys -Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era. The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>A.T. Kott

Schuyler Larrabee

Guys -

Here are some nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579
<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579> >

A.T. Kott

A. T., those are not nice photos, those are GREAT photos.

A few remarks:

Photos 14 and 23: I've never seen that many double slip switches except in the passenger yard leads
for the DL&W in Hoboken! And each one has a single switch lamp. Sure, that makes sense after
thinking about it, but it seems counterintuitive.

Photo 30: Model that steel structure and you'll be laughed at. What a contrivance to hold up the
upper level!

Photo 38: Someone else mentioned this three-way switch. Pretty fancy stuff for an industrial
siding. Neat view into the gon at lower right, too.

SGL

prgm_mgr

Great Pics - I like the gate on #16 and the way the model Ts are parked on #37.Thanks

Mark

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

Larry Kline

Photo 14 was taken in 1926 or later. The P&WV gondola at the left was
built in 1926.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "proto48er" <atkott@...> wrote:

Guys -

Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>

A.T. Kott

proto48er

Guys -

Thanks for the nice comments!

Richard and Tony - We do not have a real hobby shop here (San Antonio,
9th largest city in U.S.), two recently closed in Houston (where I have
been buying books), and the good one in Austin is supposedly closing in
January! Looks like I will have to resort to ordering books on-line!
Was hoping to pick up the reefer book and the latest SP freight car
book at Papa Ben's in Houston last week, but it is not open at the new
location.

The photos are really wonderful. I would love to have wet prints of
all of them! The trackwork was amazing! It would be interesting to
have seen those times, but I'll bet there was some hard work done in
bad conditions at some of those buildings.

A.T. Kott

Ted Schnepf

Hi Everyone,

Also notice, no hoppers, only gons for open tops in all the photos. there might be one hopper in photo #12.

Ted

At 01:17 PM 12/11/2008, you wrote:
Photo 14 was taken in 1926 or later. The P&WV gondola at the left was
built in 1926.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "proto48er" <atkott@...> wrote:

Guys -

Here are som nice photos from around Omaha in the 1924 to 1925 era.
The link was posted on the Railway Bull Shippers Yahoo group. I never
knew that the Old Dutch Cleanser reefers really had a prototype!

<http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26579>

A.T. Kott
Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@sbcglobal.net
847-697-5353 or 5366
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used. HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 4% added).

Paul Hillman

Hello A.T.,

Which 2 hobby shops closed in Houston, where I live north of?

I knew about the Houston Roundhouse closing, but what was the other one?

Paul Hillman

Richard and Tony - We do not have a real hobby shop here (San Antonio,
9th largest city in U.S.), two recently closed in Houston (where I have
been buying books), and the good one in Austin is supposedly closing in
January! Looks like I will have to resort to ordering books on-line!
Was hoping to pick up the reefer book and the latest SP freight car
book at Papa Ben's in Houston last week, but it is not open at the new
location.

The photos are really wonderful. I would love to have wet prints of
all of them! The trackwork was amazing! It would be interesting to
have seen those times, but I'll bet there was some hard work done in
bad conditions at some of those buildings.

A.T. Kott

Steve SANDIFER

Pappa Bens is moving. They closed about 6-8 months ago but should be open again in a week or two. I have no idea if the stock will be as extensive or not. The Houston Roundhouse had nearly everything I ever needed, so I miss Wayne. G&G is the scratchbuilder's paradise.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

[...]

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I need to clear up the fact that
Pappa Ben's is indeed OPEN again, and at their new location! This is
real good news for a lot of us STMFC types down here. They were not
open as quickly as they thought because of some city code-required
modifications to their new quarters.

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@...>
wrote:

Pappa Bens is moving. They closed about 6-8 months ago but should
be open again in a week or two. I have no idea if the stock will be
as extensive or not. The Houston Roundhouse had nearly everything I
ever needed, so I miss Wayne. G&G is the scratchbuilder's paradise.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort,
Houston, TX 77025, 713-667-9417

Was hoping to pick up the reefer book and the latest SP freight
car
book at Papa Ben's in Houston last week, but it is not open at
the new
location.

Charles Morrill

Well A.T., don't keep it a secret! Where did Pappa Ben's move to?
Charlie