"Blister panel" terminology

Marty McGuirk

Can anyone point to a definitive industry (not model railroad) term for "blister panels" - the bulging panels used on some hopper cars???

I've heard the term "offset panels" used but can't find a verifiable source for the real name.

Should have picked up the hopper car history book when I had the chance . . .

Thanks,

Marty

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Martin McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Can anyone point to a definitive industry (not model railroad) term
for "blister panels" - the bulging panels used on some hopper cars???

I've heard the term "offset panels" used but can't find a verifiable
source for the real name.

Should have picked up the hopper car history book when I had the
chance . . .

Thanks,

Marty
Marty,

There was, IIRC, only one supplier of these, Union Metal Products
which later became part of Standard Railway Equipment Manufacturing
Co., so I would suspect what they called them was their proper name. I
have in my files two pages copied out of the CBC, 1940 I believe, and
they are titled "Paneled side with bulbed angle stakes as applied to a
50-ton hopper car", and, "Paneled sides with integral stakes as
applied to a 50-ton hopper car." The Accurail car models the later.
Lacking any further information, I'd say the proper name is "paneled
sides."

Dennis

Ed Hawkins

On Dec 31, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Martin McGuirk wrote:

Can anyone point to a definitive industry (not model railroad) term
for "blister panels" - the bulging panels used on some hopper cars???

I've heard the term "offset panels" used but can't find a verifiable
source for the real name.
Marty,
I don't know how official this terminology is, but MoPac had some twin
hopper cars rebuilt in 1936 with what the MP diagram specifies as
"Paneled Sides." The diagram further states that some cars were rebuilt
with "Straight Sides."
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

If I remember correctly Stan Rydarowicz offers resin parts for modifying a 2-bay hopper with these panels. He even cuts the
openings in the car and sells a kit.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Douglas Harding wrote:
"If I remember correctly Stan Rydarowicz offers resin parts for
modifying a 2-bay hopper with these panels. He even cuts the openings
in the car and sells a kit."

To clarify, Stan offers two different HO scale coversion kits. The
first uses the Bowser Class GLA kit and models the one-of-a-kind PRR
Class GLF. The second uses the Athearn twin and models the cars built
new (NOT rebuilds) for the Wabash.

Ben Hom

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:
To clarify, Stan {Rydarowicz} offers two different HO scale coversion
kits. The
first uses the Bowser Class GLA kit and models the one-of-a-kind PRR
Class GLF. The second uses the Athearn twin and models the cars
built
new (NOT rebuilds) for the Wabash.
At one time someone (Pikestuff?) offered a sprue of solid bulges that
fit the Athearn twin car. Tichy has USRA hoppers rebuilt with these
panel sides.

Ed

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
"At one time someone (Pikestuff?) offered a sprue of solid bulges that
fit the Athearn twin car."

Pikestuff 541-4000. According to Stan, these aren't quite right for
the Wabash cars, which is why he cast up correct ones in resin to go
with his conversion kits.

Ben Hom

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

January, 2009 RMC, Page 123, has a photo of one of the Wabash cars. Do
you know if the kits which Stan Rydarowicz offers come with decals?

Thanks,
Phil Buchwald