GTW 11/2 door Single sheathed boxcar--segue to CN steel auto box cars...

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

CN Lines Vol. 6/4 has a couple of photos of interest. One is of CV
41099, built by Pressed Steel Car Company in March, 1929, and is also
on the National Archives of Canada/CN Images of Canada website. You
may have to copy and paste the link into your browser--

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-389222185&id=55

It clearly shows the use of a "Dreadnaught" 3/3/3 end on this car.

The article in CN Lines also has a builder's photo of GTW 34620, built
by AC&F in 1920/21. It was a steel-frame car, built with "Murphy" 7/8
ends. An Accurail car might be a starting point for this car?

But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
modelling this one??

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-135752854&id=55

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "rdietrichson" <Rdietrichson@...> wrote:

Hey all;
On the SS 1 1/2 door automobile boxcar that GTW ran, what type of an
end did this car have? I believe that a model of this class of cars
were done as a resin kit in HO, but I'm doing in N scale hence the
question.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 1, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:

But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
modelling this one??

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?
photoid=-135752854&id=55

Since the car was originally built with 10'0" IH and 4/5 square-
cornered Dreadnaught ends, a Red Caboose auto car kit with square-
cornered ends would be a good starting point (if you can find one).
You would then have to jack up the roof by 6", which is exactly what
was done on the prototype cars.

Richard Hendrickson

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

CN Lines Vol. 6/4 has a couple of photos of interest. One is of CV
41099, built by Pressed Steel Car Company in March, 1929, and is also
on the National Archives of Canada/CN Images of Canada website. You
may have to copy and paste the link into your browser--

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-
389222185&id=55

Steve, can you explain how to search the National Archives of Canada
web site for freight car photos like the one above on line? In other
words how did you find this link? (it's a nice one too).

Ed

Ian Cranstone

On 1-Jan-09, at 11:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
modelling this one??

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm? photoid=-135752854&id=55
There was an article by Brian Pate in Canadian Railway Modeller some years back on how he modelled one of these cars. CN raised the roof on these cars in late 1946 according to ORER entries.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@nakina.net
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi List Members,

Nice view of GT 40' flat 69638(?) with trolley car as a load on this site.

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=1022519810&id=49

- Claus

[...]

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Claus,

Not a trolley... but a street railway power unit often referred to as
a steam dummy.

Nice photo. Thanks for sharing.

-- Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

wrote:

Hey all;
On the SS 1 1/2 door automobile boxcar that GTW ran, what type
of an
end did this car have? I believe that a model of this class of
cars
were done as a resin kit in HO, but I'm doing in N scale hence the
question.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi William and list members,

So then this is really a small steam engine disguised in a trolley-like carbody? I think I get it now. The wneels have
counterweights and a place to mount a connecting rod, and I think I see a tiny steam cylinder for the main drive... also a
smokestack!

Thanks - Claus

wrote:

Hey all;
On the SS 1 1/2 door automobile boxcar that GTW ran, what type
of an
end did this car have? I believe that a model of this class of
cars
were done as a resin kit in HO, but I'm doing in N scale hence the
question.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi William and list members,

So then this is really a small steam engine disguised in a
trolley-like carbody? I think I get it now. The wneels have
counterweights and a place to mount a connecting rod, and I think I
see a tiny steam cylinder for the main drive... also a
smokestack!

Thanks - Claus
Here is a bit more information. Wikipedia was surprisingly unhelpful,
saying only:

"Steam dummies had some popularity in the first decades of railroading
in the U.S., from the 1830s but passed from favor after the Civil War.

It was thought that the more familiar appearance of a coach presented
by a steam dummy, as compared to a conventional engine, would be less
likely to frighten horses when these trains had to operate in city
streets. Later it was discovered that it was actually the noise and
motion of the operating gear of a steam engine that frightened horses,
rather than the unfamiliar outlines of a steam engine."

Well, Duh! I also disagree with their dates; we had some dummy lines
in the Chicago suburbs that lasted into the 1890's. Here is a more
useful link, although these engines are smaller than the one on the
flatcar:

http://ca.geocities.com/hamiltontransithistory@rogers.com/Dummies.html

Dennis