C.N. 587350

Schuyler Larrabee

On 1-Jan-09, at 11:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
modeling this one??
http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-135752854&id=55

Seems (seams?) to me that the challenge isn't so much the raised roof; it's the rivet pattern on the
sides. ACR has nothing on this car.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Nice rivets. But what I find interesting is the modification to the
brake platform supports to accommodate the higher brake wheel
location. I am not sure that my short, fat, fingers have the talent to
fabricate such a set of support brackets.

I wonder if one of these cars would have ever made it to Gridley,
Kansas. Somehow I doubt that one ever did.

-- BIll Keene
Irvine, CA

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-
135752854&id=55

"Seems (seams?) to me that the challenge isn't so much the raised roof;
it's the rivet pattern on the sides. ACR has nothing on this car."

Not really. Look again - this car is a bit of a throwback, with a
reivet pattern more common to that of earlier steel boxcars such as the
PRR Class X29. It'll be a bit of work (and I'll have to confirmit
agains the right kit), but you can turn two Red Caboose X29 or ARA
boxcar kits into flat kits and splice together the taller sides. You'd
have to be very carful with the cuts and seam cleanup to avoid losing
rivets. The ends were available from Sylvan.

Ben Hom

Ron Smith <rpsmith@...>

Maybe Archer Rivets could be used it model the Side Seam Rivets, on this car.
Ron Smith
Carman UPRR

On 1-Jan-09, at 11:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
> But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
> modeling this one??

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-135752854&id=55

Seems (seams?) to me that the challenge isn't so much the raised roof; it's the rivet pattern on the
sides. ACR has nothing on this car.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Schuyler Larrabee

Seems like a good application . . . ;^)

SGL

Maybe Archer Rivets could be used it model the Side Seam Rivets, on this car.
Ron Smith
Carman UPRR

On 1-Jan-09, at 11:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any suggestions for
modeling this one??
http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-135752854&id=55
<http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-135752854&id=55>

Seems (seams?) to me that the challenge isn't so much the raised roof; it's the rivet pattern on
the
sides. ACR has nothing on this car.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Thanks to everyone for their advice on modelling this car. It's one
that I've wanted to model for some time, and took a few photos of an
example that survived until about ten years or so ago.

Richard, I bought a Red Caboose double door car (40', 10' ih., square
corner SDE) years ago intending to model this car with it, but didn't
have any idea how to model the second row of rivets. The roof is
easy enough to change as the model is built using a Sylvan Hutchins
roof, adding the extensions at the same time. But that second rivet
row on the sides! Arrgggghhhh...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Ron Smith" <rpsmith@...> wrote:

Maybe Archer Rivets could be used it model the Side Seam Rivets, on
this car.
Ron Smith
Carman UPRR

On 1-Jan-09, at 11:37 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:
> But, while we're on the subject of auto box cars, any
suggestions for
> modeling this one??

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-
135752854&id=55

Seems (seams?) to me that the challenge isn't so much the raised
roof; it's the rivet pattern on the
sides. ACR has nothing on this car.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

12/31/2008 8:44 AM