Central Valley trucks (was Re: 5' wheelbase trucks for new West

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Replacing wheels in CV trucks is pretty straight forward, but perhaps
not a straight forward as one might wish. I have replaced CV wheels
with Reboxx and some ball bearing wheels in perhaps 30 or so truck
pairs over the years. I have had a very few distintegrate as Jack
Burgess describes, but to a surprisingly low number, given their age
and composition. I suspect that he received his cache of trucks from
a single bad batch.

Because of casting variations (or inherent variations in the casting
patterns), the best wheel set pairs can vary, even within one single
truck. The other "odd man out" is that George Hook, who founded CV
had his own ideas about bearing holes, and they are of a steeper angle
than the time honored industry standard of about 15º. Nevertheless,
replacing the wheels can be very rewarding, and you can end up with a
fine running truck.

Now, regrettably, although I have converted a number of the CV
archbars, for reasons mysterious to me, I have never recorded on THIS
computer just what the ideal Reboxx replacements were, and how they
performed. I believe that the data may be at home (I am at the moment
fully sated with a heavenly Crayfish Etoufee dinner consumed in a
slightly raffish Savannah, GA waterfront restaurant. Sorry, fellas).

Now, I am getting out my Speedo, my muscle shirts, and my stick-on
tattoos so that I can arrive in style at Cocoa Beach tomorrow.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

tbarney2004

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

[...]

Make sure nobody gets any pictures of Denny please! <G> I'd rather
watch a last of it's kind steam era freight car (mandatory content)
get torched than see any man in a speedo!

Tim Barney

John F. Cizmar

Dr. Denny,
If you are the same guy I saw in the motorcar video, you shouldn't wear a speedo.  Maybe the muscle shirts and stickon tatoos.
John Cizmar

[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

I don't much care if Denny wears a Speedo, just as long as that's not ALL he wears below the waist!

SGL

[...]

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

I do. My girlfriend is coming with me to Cocoa Beach (Buffalo in January vs.
Florida, wasn't a tough choice) and I don't want her introduction to the
other rivet counting fanatics to be Denny in a Speedo! :-)

BRian Carlson

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:36:25 -0500, Schuyler Larrabee wrote

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Brian Carlson wrote:

I do. My girlfriend is coming with me to Cocoa Beach (Buffalo in
January vs. Florida, wasn't a tough choice) and I don't want her
introduction to the other rivet counting fanatics to be Denny in a
Speedo! :-)
Denny has threathened us with this before. It's just his way of having
the pool and hotel lobby to himself.

Tom Madden