Boxcar details, CBQ 18400-18699

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm gathering information on some Burlington boxcars, series CBQ 18400-
18699 (class XM-32c), for a possible future project, and I have a few
questions about these cars. Could anyone tell me:

1) What running boards these cars were built with?

2) What handbrakes were used?

3) Were these cars equipped with brake adjustors? I have one photo that
may show a Universal Rotary Brake Adjustor on CBQ 18682, but I am not
certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Tim O'Connor

Mark

A photo of CB&Q 18675 shows AJAX handbrake and APEX (grid style)
running board and brake step. Bracket-style grab irons. Also, no
poling pockets. The trucks are in shadow and can't be identified.

Tim O'Connor

I'm gathering information on some Burlington boxcars, series CBQ 18400-
18699 (class XM-32c), for a possible future project, and I have a few
questions about these cars. Could anyone tell me:

1) What running boards these cars were built with?

2) What handbrakes were used?

3) Were these cars equipped with brake adjustors? I have one photo that
may show a Universal Rotary Brake Adjustor on CBQ 18682, but I am not
certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Rupert & Maureen <gamlenz@...>

Mark

To broaden your target for photos, other cars in class XM-32C were 18700-19399 (built 1951), C&S 1250-1499 (built 1950-1) and FW&D 9001-9250 (built 1951).

With the exception 18400-699 (which were built with truck type 81,) the XM-32C's were built with truck type 79 (ASF type A-3 ride control version)

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

A photo of CB&Q 18675 shows AJAX handbrake and APEX (grid style)
running board and brake step. Bracket-style grab irons. Also, no
poling pockets. The trucks are in shadow and can't be identified.

Tim O'Connor

I'm gathering information on some Burlington boxcars, series CBQ 18400-
18699 (class XM-32c), for a possible future project, and I have a few
questions about these cars. Could anyone tell me:

1) What running boards these cars were built with?

2) What handbrakes were used?

3) Were these cars equipped with brake adjustors? I have one photo that
may show a Universal Rotary Brake Adjustor on CBQ 18682, but I am not
certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Mark Heiden

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for the information. What sort of trucks are the type 81? I've
got a fairly clear shot of CBQ 18471, and it has trucks that look
very much like an ASF A-3 ride control. Does the type 81 look similar
to an ASF A-3?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@...> wrote:

[...]

My apologies. I edited my original reply and put things back to front. I should have said "With the exception of 18700-19399 (which were built with truck type 81)".

18400-699 were built with the ASF type A-3 ride control version.

Sorry about that.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ