Heinz in Colorado

Richard Townsend

This is a question for those Heinz experts among us.? According to a?1951 AFE that year the Colorado & Southern installed a 260-foot spur in Windsor, Colorado to serve the H.J. Heinz Company.? My question is:?what type of facility did the spur serve?? I have seen photos and maps showing pickle salting vats at locations in nearby towns (Loveland and Fort Collins) for other companies but I have no idea whether this was what was being done for Heinz in Windsor.? I'm wondering if I get to run a pickle car.?:)?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

drgwrail

According to a book on Chronology of Weld County at the Colo RR
Museum Library Heinz operated a "pickle receiving station" at Windson
CO from 1948 to 1972. Could not find any reference to a C&S siding.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO