Model Rail Hobbyist - online magazine

Marty McGuirk

The first issue of Model Rail Hobbyist is available for download.

There have been a few technical issues, but those are being resolved.

The first column features an article on converting a PRR GLa to a CV
hopper. Nothing particularly stunning about the project - I chose it
since I happened to have it finished!

In general, I'm pleased with how the magazine looks and how the first
prototype modeling column came out. I chose to focus on learning the
process (apparently writing for an "online" magazine is different than
other medium - these youngsters won't let you build up to a
conclusion!!) Some of the interactive content is "neat" and, as we
learn how to use it deciding which to include to add value and which
is simply "neat for neat's sake" should become more apparent.

One neat feature is the virtual lack of space restrictions - not
necessarily a good thing but we may try running prototype photos so
they show an entire car, with detail shots available by clicking on
the image. The rotating 360-degree view of the completed models (in
this issue the finished CV hopper and the N scale decoder installation
have this feature) is a neat way to see all sides of the model.

On deck for next issue?

A piece by Richard Hendrickson and, if I can figure out some of the
mechanics, a piece on using Sanborn Maps and other online maps to
develop a prototype-based LDE.

Would love to hear any feedback, on or offlist. And, if you have an
idea for an article or topic for the Prototype modeling column, please
let me know.

Marty

Bernd Schroeder

Marty,

even though (or maybe because) I am likely one of the younger members of this list with a definitely technical professional background, I have to express very mixed feelings about the first issue (especially since it has been hyped quite a lot before...)

I liked your column, since it adresses the basic principles of protype modeling and also found the steel article interesting, but the remaining contents reminds me very much of MR since Terry T took over...
12 pages on DCC decoder installation in N locomotives ? 13 pages on how-to-use a specific computer program ? The curve thing ? More ads then MR or RMC ?OTOH, maybe the technical gimmicks (especially in the ads) are supposed to cover for the contents.

So, if you can convince the other people in the team to cut down on the tech stuff and push the modelling level up, it would be interesting for me...

FWIW, Over here in Germany, the comments from the other half of the US-modelling crowd are like this:

"It�s free", "It�s new", "It�s interactive", so it has to be the best thing since sliced bread...

Bernd

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

jerryglow2

I think early announcements and downloads were for registered
members. After that, there were to be no restrictions.

Jerry Glow

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

Steve SANDIFER

It was free, I like it.

Problems, sure, but I got a lot more than I paid for.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

Ernie Valentine

I have played around trying to download  the magazine for about two hours on high speed with no luck.  I hope the editor hurries up with the "lite edition".  Hopefully I can download that.  I did enjoy the 1960's Kansas City photos.

Editor, please remember:
Not all of us have degrees in computer science
Not all of us have the latest super big, super fast computers
I appreciate that it is free, but if I can't access it, what good is it?

Ernie V

Roger Robar

_____

From: On Behalf Of Ernie Valentine

I have played around trying to download the magazine for about two hours on
high speed with no luck. I hope the editor hurries up with the "lite
edition". Hopefully I can download that. I did enjoy the 1960's Kansas
City photos.

Ernie V

All you need is Adobe Reader 9 to download.

Roger Robar
,_._,___

rfederle@...

I too have a high speed internet connection and I downloaded in less than 20 minutes. I only have Adobe 7.0 and about 95% was readable. I have since downloaded the Adobe 9.0. But, even with the older version I was still able to download.

Robert Federle

_____

From: On Behalf Of Ernie Valentine

I have played around trying to download the magazine for about two hours on
high speed with no luck. I hope the editor hurries up with the "lite
edition". Hopefully I can download that. I did enjoy the 1960's Kansas
City photos.

Ernie V

All you need is Adobe Reader 9 to download.

Roger Robar
,_._,___

pdsteam@...

Guys, the reader has nothing to do with the download or the download speed.
Your computer speed does have small affect on the download time but not a
huge amount unless you have a REALLY old computer.
The real hiccups come from their server, their hosting speed and your
hosting speed (the "network connection" )

Be careful when you "download" that you are not trying to open the file
instead of saving it. If that is the case then it will take a looong time to
open and most probably you will get some timeout errors.

PeteC

In a message dated 1/17/2009 4:36:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

From: On Behalf Of Ernie Valentine

I have played around trying to download the magazine for about two hours on
high speed with no luck. I hope the editor hurries up with the "lite
edition". Hopefully I can download that. I did enjoy the 1960's Kansas
City photos.

Ernie V

All you need is Adobe Reader 9 to download.

Roger Robar
I have 9, and a fast connection, and "the operation timed out." There's
more to it than just what
reader you have. I plan to try again.

SGL

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)

Schuyler Larrabee

From: On Behalf Of Ernie Valentine

I have played around trying to download the magazine for about two hours on
high speed with no luck. I hope the editor hurries up with the "lite
edition". Hopefully I can download that. I did enjoy the 1960's Kansas
City photos.

Ernie V

All you need is Adobe Reader 9 to download.

Roger Robar
I have 9, and a fast connection, and "the operation timed out." There's more to it than just what
reader you have. I plan to try again.

SGL

Jack Burgess

When I downloaded the zipped version several days ago, I got it in probably
less than 5 minutes on a broadband connection. It might be that the number
of downloads trying to go on simultaneously now is downgrading the
performance of the server.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com