PSCC hopper article in Model Railroad Hobbyist

Dean Payne

The CV hopper in the Model Railroad Hobbyist is based on a Bowser
model, and the author (Marty McGuirk) says that the thing that the
most significant thing that scream "Pennsy" are the tapered side
posts. I, on the other hand, find that the end sills look wrong, too
deep and too tall, extending below the bottom of the side sills.
Another author (I searched for the article in RMC and couldn't find
it, maybe it was in MR) corrected the depth issue by sawing off and
reattaching the end sill, but it still extended below the level of the
side sills. A quick measurement shows the end sills to be about 11"
tall, versus maybe 7.5" for the side member (rough measures, sorry!)
There are a number of non-USRA hoppers that could be modeled using the
Bowser kit, including those manufactured by SSCC (and Cambria??) by
removing these Pennsy-specific details. I will try replacing the end
sill with square styrene stock. I also see six grabs on my prototype,
that may (or may not) be more common with the PSCC/SSCC cars.
The article has re-kindled my interest in these cars, thanks!

Dean Payne

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@..., "Dean Payne" <1payne1@...> wrote:

[...]

I found the article written by what I described above as "...another
author...", it is in the October 2007 MR, written by Bob Karig. He is
a hopper modeler of no small talent, I was very impressed when I saw
his work in person, which included grafting an additional several
inches on top of some Accurail USRA hoppers: the seam was expertly
hidden! The hopper in the October 2007 MR was a "minimalist kitbash",
retaining the cast-on grabs. In fact, the "prototype" (his was
lettered for the fictional Turtle Creek Central) is a car produced by
the Cambria Steel Car Company (see! Some of my brain cells are still
intact!) It had 5 grabs, like the GLa, but differed somewhat in some
other details that wouldn't be appropriate to correct in a "minimalist
kitbash".
There is also a super-detailed USRA hopper in that issue, which will
give you some idea of Bob Karig's capabilities.

Dean Payne

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

[...]

Hello Dean,

A number of us have looked at the Pennsy hopper for conversion to
both the earlier Rutland hoppers and the central Vermont hoppers.
Alas, it is at best a stand-in that for some will at least pass the
three foot rule but for others just doesn't make it.

Regards, Don Valentine

Marty McGuirk

Dean, Glad you liked the article, and thanks for reminding me about
the MR article - I'll add a note referencing it to the next column. I
considered replacing/reworking the end sills but since my goal was a
string of cars to spot by the coaling tower I had to make a choice -
with a large layout to build hopper cars are just one "piece of the
puzzle." I still think when the GLAs are viewed from the side the
tapered posts are certainly the most "Pennsy" specific spotting feature.

Don, it's true, these are compromises - a point I made in the article
- but at this point they represent the most logical starting point for
modeling the CV's 20000-series cars if the goal is several of these in
the context of a layout.

Marty

Manfred Lorenz

Marty,

Your car looks quite impressive. I like especially the handholds and
wheathering. Fist I thought it was a Kadee car.

I understand you made some choices about what to change to keep the
amount of time reasonable for a whole fleet. What I wonder is that you
didn't improve the door locks. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Perhaps it is due to the dies that this detail is not done more correct
by the manufacturers. As executed it won't hold anything.

Manfred