From: "Anthony Thompson" <thompson@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:59 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Model Rail Hobbyist

All I can say is that whoever is responsible for format has a funny idea of serving the public. Usually to make Web material ACCESSIBLE, one uses the OLDEST feasible software, to serve as many prospective users as possible, not the NEWEST software, so as to exclude the MOST prospective users. Using Adobe Reader 9 fits that definition neatly. Well done, guys.

Schuyler Larrabee

Not quite sure what you're grousing about, Tony. I mean, Adobe Reader 9 is free, easily available,
and an improvement over its predecessor versions. Sure, newest software is not ALWAYS better, (see
Vista) but in this case, it is better. So, download a free program so you can see this well? Where
is the problem? A serious question, not a flame.

SGL

All I can say is that whoever is responsible for format has a
funny idea of serving the public. Usually to make Web material
ACCESSIBLE, one uses the OLDEST feasible software, to serve as many
prospective users as possible, not the NEWEST software, so as to
exclude the MOST prospective users. Using Adobe Reader 9 fits that
definition neatly. Well done, guys.

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I mean, Adobe Reader 9 is free, easily available,
and an improvement over its predecessor versions<
Will it run on a ten year old computer. Also some of use still use land line.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Stokes John

Surely you don't think that most of the intelligent and resourceful modelers on the list are not capable of reading a couple of well written prompts and clicking on a few buttons to allow Adobe to download the new and improved reader for free? Come on, save the "I'm illiterate in computers" stuff for real issues. Try it, you will like it, and its FREE and once you have done it you won't have to do another thing to get the benefits. What a deal. As a bonus, you will have the latest Adobe Reader installed which you will use on countless other downloads.

John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@...
From: schroed2.bears@...
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:56:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Model Rail Hobbyist

well, maybe the intention was "Model Railroader for Computer Geeks"

Bernd

All I can say is that whoever is responsible for format has a
funny idea of serving the public. Usually to make Web material
ACCESSIBLE, one uses the OLDEST feasible software, to serve as many
prospective users as possible, not the NEWEST software, so as to
exclude the MOST prospective users. Using Adobe Reader 9 fits that
definition neatly. Well done, guys.

Stokes John

Your concern is understandable, but this upgrade should work for you as well, it will just take longer. Most programs out there already require Adobe 8.1, and while it is great that time stopped in 1941, that is not the reality for most of us and having the most effective tools to use is a benefit. If we kept everything held back for those who have not upgraded to a 21st Century system, we would simply not be able to enjoy the richness of current internet offerings and research and communication tools.

What does this have to do with STMFC anyway? Far too much band width spent on this tangent, but I may be wrong.

John S.

To: STMFC@...
From: atsf@...
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:32:29 -0800

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Not quite sure what you're grousing about, Tony. I mean, Adobe Reader 9 is free, easily available, and an improvement over its predecessor versions.
I don't mind downloading Adobe Reader 9, in fact I've done so, but it won't work with Mac OS 10.4.10 (latest one I have). This means (at least for Mac users) that only the newest OS can run the reader that handles MRH. That's what I mean by NOT reaching an awful lot of the public, which I think is a funny way to do a magazine.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 18, 2009, at 11:30 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

I don't mind downloading Adobe Reader 9, in fact I've done so,
but it won't work with Mac OS 10.4.10 (latest one I have). This means
(at least for Mac users) that only the newest OS can run the reader
that handles MRH. That's what I mean by NOT reaching an awful lot of
the public, which I think is a funny way to do a magazine.

I have had exactly the same experience as Tony. And I'm running the
earlier Mac operating system because I have many files in earlier
applications which won't run on the latest OS. So, while MRH seems
like a good idea, I can't access it, and I've already spent a fair
amount of time (when I could have been writing text for a book or
working on a model) trying unsuccessfully to do so. Yeah, I know,
print is SO twentieth century, but an internet publication that some
of us can't access seems needlessly stupid.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Guys

I think MRH is a very promising information format. Perhaps
Acrobat was not the best choice (HTML would have worked too)
but perhaps they will respond and correct these problems as
they are made aware of them. Acrobat offers a "self contained"
format unlike HTML which is a pastiche of objects and somewhat
problematic when it comes to portability. Both have advantages
and disadvantages.

Tim O'Connor

At 1/19/2009 12:04 PM Monday, you wrote:
[...]

Paul <buygone@...>

Group:

Like Tony and Richard I tried to download no luck so I've scratched it off
my list of things to do. If they want me to look at it they had better make
it easy for me not them

Paul C. Koehler

_____

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I think MRH is a very promising information format. Perhaps Acrobat was not the best choice . . .
If they had used, say, Acrobat 5.0, I bet they would not be hearing what they're hearing. If you look at Signature Press's website, you will see lots of simplified and even clunky graphics--we have deliberately avoided flashy "features" and enhancements like frames just so that even those with older browsers can successfully view the pages. Obviously the MRH approach is the diametric opposite.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Don Burn

Yes I for one stick with the older versions of Acrobat. I do work in the anti-virus / anti-malware area and the latest Acrobat and Flash in general are considered to be the biggest atack vector for computers right now in the protection industry. The comments my colleagues make are, if you want to secure your computers step 1, roll back to an old acrobat reader and eliminate flash.

Don Burn

I think MRH is a very promising information format. Perhaps Acrobat
was not the best choice . . .
If they had used, say, Acrobat 5.0, I bet they would not be
hearing what they're hearing. If you look at Signature Press's website,
you will see lots of simplified and even clunky graphics--we have
deliberately avoided flashy "features" and enhancements like frames
just so that even those with older browsers can successfully view the
pages. Obviously the MRH approach is the diametric opposite.

Publishers of books on railroad history

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3778 (20090119) __________

http://www.eset.com

Nolan Hinshaw

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Not quite sure what you're grousing about, Tony. I mean, Adobe Reader
9 is free, easily available, and an improvement over its predecessor
versions.
I don't mind downloading Adobe Reader 9, in fact I've done so,
but it won't work with Mac OS 10.4.10 (latest one I have).
It works fine on OSX 10.4.11, as that's what I'm running right now.
Acrobat Pro version 8.0.0 doesn't work, though.
--
"I think we are pole vaulting over mouse manure here"

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

I have had exactly the same experience as Tony.
Adobe reader 9 works fine with OSX 10.4.11; perform a software
update of Tiger rather than an upgrade to Leopard
--
"I think we are pole vaulting over mouse manure here"

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

I am running all the latest Adobe programs on the latest MAC OS but
it took some help from Adobe technical support to get them loaded.

Roger Hinman

On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Nolan Hinshaw wrote:

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

I have had exactly the same experience as Tony.
Adobe reader 9 works fine with OSX 10.4.11; perform a software
update of Tiger rather than an upgrade to Leopard

And why should I have to do this? I don't need it for anything else
but MRH. I've already spent more time trying to access MRH than I
suspect it's worth.

"I think we are pole vaulting over mouse manure here"

Feels like wading ankle deep in horse**** to me.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Nolan Hinshaw wrote:
Adobe reader 9 works fine with OSX 10.4.11; perform a software update of Tiger rather than an upgrade to Leopard
HELLO . . . OS 10.4 actually IS Tiger, and the latest version that exists for PowerPC Macs is 10.4.11, which is what I have. Reader 9 may WORK with this OS, but it cannot open MRH in this OS. One of these days no doubt I'll upgrade to Leopard, and won't miss MRH in the meantime.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Rod Miller

My iMac runs 10.1.11 and there was no issue in
downloading or viewing MRH. I had to download
Acrobat Reader, and then everything went
smoothly. I was quite surprised.

Maybe there are functional differences between
the PowerPC Mac OS and the Intel Mac OS even
though the version is the same.

Rod