modeling cable on a crane

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

I have a Barnhart log loader (a type of crane) that I am working on. Does anyone have a good suggestion for what to use to model the cable?

I bought some thread for model ship building but was disappointed. Despite the description, it had fuzz. Apparently modelers use beeswax to cut down on the fuzz but that seems like it would make it look even less like a cable.

I also thought of using some fine gauge wire, excess from a dcc decoder for example, and strip off the insulation. While this gives a good look, my fear is the slightest jostling and the cable will get visible kinks.

Part of the problem is the "hook", actually more of a tong, is very light. This means there is very little weight to pull the cable tight.

This must be a common problem for anyone who has modeled a crane. Any suggestions? Is there a group specifically for modeling MOW
equipment?

Thanks,

Ned Carey

Bruce Smith

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Ned Carey wrote:

I have a Barnhart log loader (a type of crane) that I am working on. Does anyone have a good suggestion for what to use to model the cable?
<SNIP>

This must be a common problem for anyone who has modeled a crane. Any suggestions? Is there a group specifically for modeling MOW
equipment?
Ned,

I used EZ-line from Berkshire Junction (http:// www.berkshirejunction.com/) to rig my crawler crane. It has the advantage of being flexible so I can have the boom up or down. It is a monofilament so it looks like cable, not thread. I also use this for the cable tie-downs on many of my loads.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Greg Martin

I have found that quilting thread is the best to simulate cable in HO Scale. It doesn't have the "fuzz" that other thread has. You can generally find a nice dark brown that works real well and their are different thicknesses.

Greg Martin

[...]

al_brown03

Bruce's tie-downs caught my eye at Cocoa Beach because they're all
straight not bowed, as though in tension like the 1:1 thing. They
look that way because they *are* in tension: the EZ-line stretches.
Gorgeous.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___
________________________________
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Robert <riverob@...>

My wife uses stretchable monofilament line intended for jewlery
making & beading- available in different sizes at beading stores,
it's quite strong & flexible.

Rob Simpson

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Ned Carey writes:

"I have a Barnhart log loader (a type of crane)..."

Ah yes. But not a type of frt car. Ned, Ned, you need to venture back down to Cocoa Beach, warm up and...ooops...well, not tonight but surely tommorrow...anyhow, attend some of the clinics so you'll better understand the differences between a log loader crane and a frt car.

"I bought some thread for model ship building but was disappointed. Despite the description, it had fuzz. Apparently modelers use beeswax to cut down on the fuzz but that seems like it would make it look even less like a cable."

Before I terminate this out of scope thread, I'll mention that I used thread with something applied to it...a lot of help, eh?...and it really reduced the fuzz. By far the biggest problem was keeping the thread from snagging on the pulley attachments rather than staying in the pulleys. A nightmare. I finally realized that the only hope was to keep the "cable" under tension.

"Is there a group specifically for modeling MOW
equipment?"

Yep. There's a Yahoo group...North_American_M-O-W@...

Mike Brock

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

Thanks to Bruce, Craig, Al, Robert and Don (off list) for your replys. I think I will try the EZ line. I will also check out the Beading stores that Robert mentions. I wouldn't be surprised if what they use is the same stuff as EZ Line.

Ned Carey_._,___

Paul Lyons

Bruce,

What color EZ-line do you use-charcoal?

Paul Lyons
Laguna NIguel, CA

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Ned Carey wrote:

I have a Barnhart log loader (a type of crane) that I am working
on. Does anyone have a good suggestion for what to use to model the
cable?
<SNIP>

This must be a common problem for anyone who has modeled a crane.
Any suggestions? Is there a group specifically for modeling MOW
equipment?
Ned,

I used EZ-line from Berkshire Junction (http://
www.berkshirejunction.com/) to rig my crawler crane. It has the
advantage of being flexible so I can have the boom up or down. It is
a monofilament so it looks like cable, not thread. I also use this
for the cable tie-downs on many of my loads.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Cyril Durrenberger

Mike,

Between about 1900 and 1935 on the Minnesota & International (owned by NP at that time), and I think within the period of the group, there were a number of log loaders which ran across the tops of the M&I log cars (actually flat cars with log bunks).  The loaders were designed to run on any of the log cars.  These cars with the loaders on top of them were run in the trains.  They were certainly not MW equipment.

Now maybe that is too far up in the frozen north for folks from the sunshine state to be aware of these, but they did exist. But some of us who migrate north in the summer are aware that they did exist for a several decades.  The loaders were similar to the Barnhart, but were home built jobs.  Why buy it if you can build it?

So if some make a big deal out of a flat car loaded with a section of a marine boiler, then please tell me what is wrong with a log loader on a flat car??  And by the way,  the loader on the flat car was more often seen on the mainline in its domain (like daily) than a very infrequent move of marine boiler loaded on a flat car.

Cyril Durrenberger

[...]

Yep. There's a Yahoo group...North_ American_ M-O-W@yahoogroup s.com

Mike Brock

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Cyril Durrenberger writes:

"The loaders were designed to run on any of the log cars. These cars with the loaders on top of them were run in the trains. They were certainly not MW equipment."

"Now maybe that is too far up in the frozen north for folks from the sunshine state to be aware of these, but they did exist."

Hmmm. the current temp in Cocoa Beach is about 36� with a prediction of frost...whatever that is...tonight. However, Bruce Smith pointed out the same thing to me and Ned has defended his position. Since Bruce is a regular at Prototype Rails...and his young daughter is the only one I know of that has a lifetime pass there and to my op session as well...and since Ned promises to attend next yr and since they and Cyril are no doubt correct, I relent and withdraw my rulling cables on these loader things...did one ever cross Sherman Hill?...out of scope.

Mike Brock

Bruce Smith

On Jan 22, 2009, at 11:02 PM, cobrapsl@... wrote:

Bruce,

What color EZ-line do you use-charcoal?
Yes, and I think I used the finer of the two weights, but don't count on it <G>. I will also note that for the marine boiler I did NOT use EZ-line, but used brass wire, since the prototype tie-downs were clearly threaded rod and not cable.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL