W&LE single sheathed box cars

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ed and list members,

Ed Mines wrote:

I recall that W&LE had some single sheathed door and a half box cars
with 2 panel, verical ribbed steel ends like PM double sheathed box
cars.
The cars were real "odd ducks" with 3 diagonals on one side and 2 on
the other, similar to PM cars. However whereas the the PM cars had
Pratt trusses on the sides (diagonal adjacent to the doors on the
bottom) the W&LE cars had more conventional Howe trusses with the
diagonals adjacent to the doors at the top.
I've always thought these W&LE single-sheathed box cars would be fun to build as they are definitely quite unusual.

Altho the ones I have seen were single-door cars, not "door and a half" cars that Ed described.

A good builders photo of W&LE 27998 shows up in the Westerfield AC&F builders photo CD as image 9110.JPG

An in-service photo of W&LE 27009 (?) appears in Pennsy Power 3 by Staufer on page 109.

Anyone know of any other good photos of these?

- Claus Schlund

Ray Breyer

"Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@hellgatemodels.com> wrote:
>>I've always thought these W&LE single-sheathed box cars would
>>be fun to build as they are definitely quite unusual.
W&LE 27998, W&LE 27009
Anyone know of any other good photos of these?

Hi Claus,

I've got photos of 27201, 27342, 27439 and the builder's photo of 27998, not to mention at least half a dozen shots of these cars in NKP MOW service. I'm not sure where the photos came from specifically, but I know that John Corns and Howard Ameling both have photos of these cars, and both Big Four Graphics and Bob's Photos have other images.

Dean Payne found a grounded hulk of one of these cars in Warren, OH a couple of years ago, and took several photos as well. I need to prod him back out there with a tape measure...

Regards,

Ray Breyer

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 27, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Claus Schlund (HGM) wrote:

Anyone know of any other good photos of these?

I have a print of W&LE 27439, in disreputable condition but
apparently still in revenue service, at Toledo, OH in 1948. It's
from the Howard Ameling collection.

Richard Hendrickson

al_brown03

There are several published photos of the W&LE 27000 series.

A carbody in a junkyard is pictured in MM 12/85 p28.

The Rensselaer website has a discussion and links to five photos:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/article.php?article=1744

Corns's W&LE book, pp 58-59, has photos of W&LE 27439 and 27683, the
latter experimentally fitted with Simplex roller-bearing arch-bar
trucks.

A builders photo of W&LE 27342 is shown in TS CYC 67 p 417, in an ad
for Camel door fixtures. This is one of the photos accessed from the
RPI site, but the TS CYC version IMO is clearer.

There's an end-on builder's shot of W&LE 27024 in the '22 CBC, p 384.

Weird wonderful cars.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi Ed and list members,

Ed Mines wrote:

[...]

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...> wrote:
I've always thought these W&LE single-sheathed box cars would be fun
to build as they are definitely quite unusual.
Altho the ones I have seen were single-door cars, not "door and a
half" cars that Ed described.

I think you're right about the door Claus; maybe I was thinking about
cars with single doors.

I think all agree - unusual.

I wonder if you can make those vertical ribbed ends with the ends from
Intermountain USRA gons?

RDG used those ribbed sheets (used on some USRA cars including the
composite gondolas) as replacement sheets for 9 ribbed, 2 bay hoppers,
both for ends and even slope sheets.

Ed

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ed,

I wonder if you can make those vertical ribbed ends with the ends from
Intermountain USRA gons?
I would never have thought of that!

RDG used those ribbed sheets (used on some USRA cars including the
composite gondolas) as replacement sheets for 9 ribbed, 2 bay hoppers,
both for ends and even slope sheets.
I'm sure a kitbash of that sort would gather a few comments indeed! I would be fearful to run display the model without having a photo of such a car on me just to alay any doubts from others!

- Claus Schlund