From: peteraue
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:10 AM
Subject: [STMFC] ATSF MOW cars

Hi all,
I have a few freight cars which are too "old" for revenue service on
my 1950 ATSF layout. They would be perfect for MOW service and I'd
like to repaint them "battleship grey" as they should be. What is the
right color or color mix? I am normally using Floquil.
Peter Aue

michael bishop <goldrod_1@...>

When

The instructions to the Sunshine Santa Fe Work Train set (our of production) state "battleship gray paint is a matter of choice. The Budger Primer is a suitable shade of gray. This gray has a blue hue to it. Keith Jordan recommends use of D&H Gray because it has a warmer or brown hue."

Bill Childers in the Santa Fe Modeler reported "The interior of most cars appears to have been pale green (Apple Green) with some dining cars having tan interiors."
____________ __
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@ sbcglobal. net

I have a few freight cars which are too "old" for revenue service on
my 1950 ATSF layout. They would be perfect for MOW service and I'd
like to repaint them "battleship grey" as they should be. What is the
right color or color mix? I am normally using Floquil.
Peter Aue

michael bishop <goldrod_1@...>

When did the ATSF start to use silver for the MOW cars?

Michael Bishop

I have a few freight cars which are too "old" for revenue service on
my 1950 ATSF layout. They would be perfect for MOW service and I'd
like to repaint them "battleship grey" as they should be. What is the
right color or color mix? I am normally using Floquil.
Peter Aue

Steve SANDIFER

Aluminum began in 1956. As I understand it, the Santa Fe took two identical cars, painted one battleship gray and another aluminum, placed a thermometer inside each, then put them out in the sun for a day. The temperature difference was enough to establish a new standard. As I remember the story, John McCall was there when it happened.
______________

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

On Feb 1, 2009, at Steve Sandifer wrote:
Aluminum began in 1956. As I understand it, the Santa Fe took two identical cars, painted one battleship gray and another aluminum, placed a thermometer inside each, then put them out in the sun for a day. The temperature difference was enough to establish a new standard. As I remember the story, John McCall was there when it happened.
PFE did this test too, with aluminum-painted roofs, and got the same result; but when they repeated the test after a month in service, during which roofs got dirty, there was then NO temperature difference between aluminum, white, or BCR paint colors. Did Santa Fe ever re-check with dirty roofs?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve SANDIFER

We'll have to ask John.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

On Feb 1, 2009, at Steve Sandifer wrote:
> Aluminum began in 1956. As I understand it, the Santa Fe took two
> identical cars, painted one battleship gray and another aluminum,
> placed a thermometer inside each, then put them out in the sun for a
> day. The temperature difference was enough to establish a new
> standard. As I remember the story, John McCall was there when it
> happened.

PFE did this test too, with aluminum-painted roofs, and got the
same result; but when they repeated the test after a month in service,
during which roofs got dirty, there was then NO temperature difference
between aluminum, white, or BCR paint colors. Did Santa Fe ever
re-check with dirty roofs?

Publishers of books on railroad history

mcindoefalls

Good point, but remember that the entire car was silver on the Santa
Fe, so even if the roof got dirty, the sides would stay cleaner and
retain their reflective properties to a greater extent.

Walt Lankenau