MKT SS box cars

ed_mines

I asked this question before - how common were BC red, SS MKT box cars
just after WWII?

I saw a 1958-59 NKP video on TV yesterday with an aforementioned BCR
car.

There were a surprising number of SS box cars. Most box cars were still
40 ft.

Many ice reefers too including a much more orange PFE reefer mixed in
with the more typical steam era color.

Ed

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:34 AM, ed_mines wrote:

I asked this question before - how common were BC red, SS MKT box cars
just after WWII?

I saw a 1958-59 NKP video on TV yesterday with an aforementioned BCR
car.

I have photographic evidence of a yellow car repainted in 6-48 and a
BCR car repainted in 4-49 (as well as several BCR cars repainted in
the early '50s). So by the '58-'59 date of the video, few (if any)
Katy SS box cars would have survived in yellow. And cars started to
be repainted yellow ca. 1942 - I have a photo of a car repainted BCR
in 10-41- so some BCR cars doubtless lasted into the early prewar
era, especially considering the deferred maintenance of the war years.

Richard Hendrickson

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Richard,

At least one survived into at least 1958. You will find a photo of a
yellow SS MKT boxcar in the group's photos section under MKT. This car
was yellow... well most of it. There was a good deal of flaking paint
and exposed -- graying -- wood. And the reweight information was white
lettering on BCR patches.

The location is Bartlesville, Oklahoma. The car was on the team track
being unloaded. The load was bricks.

The photo is not that good as it is a scan from a rather poor
enlargement. But the camera was not that good either. A Kodak 616 with
a pull-out metal bellows. Oh, and the photographer was a 12 year old
kid. Me.

I am planning on modeling this specific car.

Cheers,
-- Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:34 AM, ed_mines wrote:

I asked this question before - how common were BC red, SS MKT box
cars
just after WWII?

I saw a 1958-59 NKP video on TV yesterday with an aforementioned BCR
car.
I have photographic evidence of a yellow car repainted in 6-48 and a
BCR car repainted in 4-49 (as well as several BCR cars repainted in
the early '50s). So by the '58-'59 date of the video, few (if any)
Katy SS box cars would have survived in yellow. And cars started to
be repainted yellow ca. 1942 - I have a photo of a car repainted BCR
in 10-41- so some BCR cars doubtless lasted into the early prewar
era, especially considering the deferred maintenance of the war years.

Richard Hendrickson

Gene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

I noticed your comment about MKT single sheathed surviving in Sloan
Yellow into the 1950s. I am working on patterns for this car and
have photos of a fair number of cars taken in the 1960s still in
Yellow. A quick check of the pictures shows 95038,95680 and
96264. In the background of 95038, there appears to be string of
cars in yellow. The photo was taken in Fort Worth around 1969.
I am not disputed the statement that "few if any cars survived in
yellow". It does give photographic proof that cars lasted a long
time in this color scheme.

Gene Deimling

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all who answered.

My interest was to justify a BCR car just after WWII. The yellow cars
stand out too much.

But if Richard Hendrickson has a photo of a car painted BCR in the
early '40s, then I guess BCR is OK.

Ed Mines

...trying to rewrite railroad history to suit my own tastes.....