Retail gas stations of the 1950's

Charles Hladik

Brian,
I recently gave away a book titled "The Gas Station in America". This
was from Johns Hopkins Press who also has one titled "The Motel in America".
Both of these have a pretty good history of the players and quite a few photos.
Hope this helps.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 2/5/2009 12:49:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brian@... writes:

I hope the Mike will allow mw a little latitude here since this group
is often a source of wide ranging information. I am looking for an
avenue to determine what retail gasoline stations operated in the
towns I model in the mid 1950's. I have done the usual ebay searches,
and am in the process of inquiring through local historical societies,
old business directories, phone books etc.. Many of these towns had a
bulk distributor'bulk distributor'<WBR>s that received shipment's in ste
but through mergers and acquisitions, I am not sure who the players
were in 1957. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find
additional information?

Brian carlson

net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

Brian J. Carlson <brian@...>

I hope the Mike will allow mw a little latitude here since this group
is often a source of wide ranging information. I am looking for an
avenue to determine what retail gasoline stations operated in the
towns I model in the mid 1950's. I have done the usual ebay searches,
and am in the process of inquiring through local historical societies,
old business directories, phone books etc.. Many of these towns had a
bulk distributor's that received shipment's in steam era tank cars,
but through mergers and acquisitions, I am not sure who the players
were in 1957. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find
additional information?

Brian carlson

Steve SANDIFER

Bulk oil dealers - try Sanborn maps, telephone books/yellow pages.

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/index
Church: http://www.swcentral.org

I hope the Mike will allow mw a little latitude here since this group
is often a source of wide ranging information. I am looking for an
avenue to determine what retail gasoline stations operated in the
towns I model in the mid 1950's. I have done the usual ebay searches,
and am in the process of inquiring through local historical societies,
old business directories, phone books etc.. Many of these towns had a
bulk distributor's that received shipment's in steam era tank cars,
but through mergers and acquisitions, I am not sure who the players
were in 1957. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find
additional information?

Brian carlson

Charlie Duckworth <trduck@...>

Many of these towns had a
bulk distributor's that received shipment's in steam era tank cars,
but through mergers and acquisitions, I am not sure who the players
were in 1957. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find
additional information?

Brian carlson
When I started on collecting information on the Bagnell Branch I came
across a commerically published regional map that listed all the stores
and businesses. There were a number of bulk oil and ful dealers
shown. If you can track down a 1957 telephone book that would be a
great source. I also found the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps to be a
great source in showing you on what RR the dealer had their facilities
and storage tanks located.
Charlie

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

Brian,

I quick search on Amazon came up with these three that looked like pretty
good places to start:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Gas-Station-Folklore-Stations/dp/0760306494/r
ef=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Stations-Coast-Michael-Karl-Witzel/dp/0760307407/ref=p
d_sim_b_4

http://www.amazon.com/Station-America-Creating-American-Landscape/dp/0801847
230/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233857309&sr=8-2

Allen Cain

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Wow! A bunch of responses quickly. I haven't been able to find Sanborn maps
for Warren Pa. Corry Pa, Youngsville, Titusville Pa. etc yet.
If these response get far from steam era freight cars please respond to me
off list at brian@... I don't want to incur the wrath of our
esteemed moderator. However, his eyes are probably a little glazed over
right now from rehashing his views on freight car distribution, so we should
be ok. :-)
Brian
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:12:34 -0500, Allen Cain wrote

Brian,

jrwark <jrwark@...>

Very timely, albeit possibly off-topic, question. Just a couple of
days ago I went to the state archives and library and yours was one of
the questions I researched.

In addition to Sanborn maps and phone books as already mentioned, I
also found good information in city/town directories. For larger
cities, these are usually published by Polk during the STMFC era. In
Tennessee, there were also directories published by other sources for
smaller cities/large towns. I wasn't able to find info on every town
I was interested in, but I was able to find enough information to
confirm which of the oil companies had wholesale distribution and
retail service station operations in the region.

Another source was centennial and sesquicentennial anniversary
publications. I found these for almost every town or county I was
interested in. These typically have advertisements for local
businesses and photos of business areas. In several cases there were
pictures of service stations and/or bulk plants that will be helpful
in modeling. In at least one case, there was confirmation of a track
routing that confirmed a detail from the Sanborn map that I had been
skeptical of. Unfortunately, no freight car pictures. Bummer.

If you're not close to your state archives, then most libraries have
at least some old phone books and directories. Local/county museums
and historical societies often do as well.

John Wark

Dave Nelson

Brian J. Carlson wrote:
I am looking for an avenue to determine what retail gasoline stations
operated in the
towns I model in the mid 1950's.
I learned quite a bit on this topic from reading Moody's Industrials.

I would think google could lead you to enough corporte histories that you
could put together a reasonable guess for the location you have in mind.

Dave Nelson

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>