Topics

Helium Cars

Steve and Barb Hile
 

Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.

Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on this front?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Steve Hile wrote:
Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.

Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on this front?
Those of us in the West are eagerly waiting for the opportunity to run unit trains of these cars . . . <g>

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
 

Those of us on the FAR West Coast have the luxury of knowing that the helium cars did run regularly (albeit not in large numbers) out to the military and aerospace installations in California.

FWIW... NAS Moffett Field and Edwards AFB were known destinations... as well as industrial gas supply houses serving the aerospace industries.

...and who makes the clasp-brake trucks???

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 08:18 PM 2/11/2009, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Steve Hile wrote:
Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the
possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars
along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on
the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.

Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on
this front?
Those of us in the West are eagerly waiting for the opportunity
to run unit trains of these cars . . . <g>

Tony Thompson

Jim Scott
 

Just a a note, they also ran on the Coast route to Vandenberg AFB. I saw many there.

Jim Scott
Lompoc, CA




________________________________
From: Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:43:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars


Those of us on the FAR West Coast have the luxury of knowing that the
helium cars did run regularly (albeit not in large numbers) out to
the military and aerospace installations in California.

FWIW... NAS Moffett Field and Edwards AFB were known destinations. ..
as well as industrial gas supply houses serving the aerospace industries.

...and who makes the clasp-brake trucks???

------------ --------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
------------ --------

At 08:18 PM 2/11/2009, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Steve Hile wrote:
Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the
possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars
along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on
the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.

Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on
this front?
Those of us in the West are eagerly waiting for the opportunity
to run unit trains of these cars . . . <g>

Tony Thompson

Rod Miller
 

This car was imported in O and HO by Pecos River Brass
(now OOB). See

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=HO_PRB_US_Navy_Helium_Car/

I have no connection with shopwiki...

Rod

CalifCoast wrote:
Just a a note, they also ran on the Coast route to Vandenberg
AFB. I saw many there.
Jim Scott
Lompoc, CA
________________________________
From: Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:43:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars
Those of us on the FAR West Coast have the luxury of knowing that the helium cars did run regularly (albeit not in large numbers) out to the military and aerospace installations in California.
FWIW... NAS Moffett Field and Edwards AFB were known destinations. .. as well as industrial gas supply houses serving the aerospace industries.
...and who makes the clasp-brake trucks???
------------ --------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
------------ --------
At 08:18 PM 2/11/2009, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Steve Hile wrote:
Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the
possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars
along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on
the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.

Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on
this front?
Those of us in the West are eagerly waiting for the opportunity
to run unit trains of these cars . . . <g>

Tony Thompson

James SANDIFER
 

The last word I heard, Speedwich was going to offer these once the masters were made. Jay Miller was spearheading the project and had a quality clinic about them at the Santa Fe convention in 2007. Pecos River, AHM, and Ambroid all produced HO models. Speedwich will be doing the resin version which will probably be the most authentic of the bunch.

----------------------------------------------------------------
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/index
Church: http://www.swcentral.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Rod Miller
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars


This car was imported in O and HO by Pecos River Brass
(now OOB). See

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=HO_PRB_US_Navy_Helium_Car/

I have no connection with shopwiki...

Rod

CalifCoast wrote:
> Just a a note, they also ran on the Coast route to Vandenberg
AFB. I saw many there.
>
> Jim Scott
> Lompoc, CA
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
> To: STMFC@...
> Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:43:10 PM
> Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars
>
>
> Those of us on the FAR West Coast have the luxury of knowing that the
> helium cars did run regularly (albeit not in large numbers) out to
> the military and aerospace installations in California.
>
> FWIW... NAS Moffett Field and Edwards AFB were known destinations. ..
> as well as industrial gas supply houses serving the aerospace industries.
>
> ...and who makes the clasp-brake trucks???
>
> ------------ --------
> Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
> ------------ --------
>
> At 08:18 PM 2/11/2009, Anthony Thompson wrote:
>> Steve Hile wrote:
>>> Back in June of 2007 there was a flurry of messages surrounding the
>>> possibility of a quality model of one or more phases of helium cars
>>> along with separate decals. Jay Miller did a terrific presentation on
>>> the industry at Naperville and the ATSF meet.
>>>
>>> Since then, it has been quiet. Has anyone heard of any progress on
>>> this front?
>> Those of us in the West are eagerly waiting for the opportunity
>> to run unit trains of these cars . . . <g>
>>
>> Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith
 

On Thu, February 12, 2009 12:34 pm, Rod Miller wrote:
This car was imported in O and HO by Pecos River Brass
(now OOB). See

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=HO_PRB_US_Navy_Helium_Car/

I have no connection with shopwiki...

Rod
Rod,

No offense to you or the person selling this car, but the Pecos River car
is just AWFUL! A close look will show you that the tanks are a single
stamping. Heck, the Ambroid car looks better! Amongst those few of us
who really care and see a need for this car, it seems clear that a new
resin car is really the right way to go with this...

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Rod Miller
 

Bruce, thanks for the info on the HO PRB car.

I have the O scale PRB car. The tanks on it are
separate pieces, and IMHO it is a nice model. Very
heavy BTW which I attribute to all those separate
tanks.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:

On Thu, February 12, 2009 12:34 pm, Rod Miller wrote:
This car was imported in O and HO by Pecos River Brass
(now OOB). See

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=HO_PRB_US_Navy_Helium_Car/

I have no connection with shopwiki...

Rod
Rod,
No offense to you or the person selling this car, but the Pecos River car
is just AWFUL! A close look will show you that the tanks are a single
stamping. Heck, the Ambroid car looks better! Amongst those few of us
who really care and see a need for this car, it seems clear that a new
resin car is really the right way to go with this...
Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Rich Yoder
 

Well If you're interested I have a photo of one of the first types of
helium cars. Attached to this email.

Sincerely, Rich Yoder
7 Edgedale Court
Wyomissing PA 19610-1913
610-678-2834 after 6:00PM est until 10:00PM
www.richyodermodels.com

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Rod Miller
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:27 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars

Bruce, thanks for the info on the HO PRB car.

I have the O scale PRB car. The tanks on it are
separate pieces, and IMHO it is a nice model. Very
heavy BTW which I attribute to all those separate
tanks.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:
On Thu, February 12, 2009 12:34 pm, Rod Miller wrote:
This car was imported in O and HO by Pecos River Brass
(now OOB). See

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=HO_PRB_US_Navy_Helium_Car/

I have no connection with shopwiki...

Rod
Rod,

No offense to you or the person selling this car, but the Pecos River
car
is just AWFUL! A close look will show you that the tanks are a single
stamping. Heck, the Ambroid car looks better! Amongst those few of
us
who really care and see a need for this car, it seems clear that a new
resin car is really the right way to go with this...

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Richard Hendrickson
 

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Rod Miller wrote:
Bruce, thanks for the info on the HO PRB car.

I have the O scale PRB car. The tanks on it are
separate pieces, and IMHO it is a nice model. Very
heavy BTW which I attribute to all those separate
tanks.

Bruce Smith wrote:

No offense to you or the person selling this car, but the Pecos
River car
is just AWFUL! A close look will show you that the tanks are a
single
stamping. Heck, the Ambroid car looks better! Amongst those few
of us
who really care and see a need for this car, it seems clear that
a new
resin car is really the right way to go with this...



















I've seen both the O and HO scale PRB models. Bruce is correct that
the HO scale version is awful, and Rob is correct that the O scale
model is vastly better. The fact that John Smith of PRB was/is an O
scale modeler may help to explain this disparity.


Richard Hendrickson

earlyrail
 

An other destination would be Navy Shipyards that built/pverhauled nuclear submarines.

Mare Island, Charleston,Portsmouth plus Electric Boat to name the ones I am familiar with

Howard Garner
(x-sub guy)

spsalso
 

Still another destination for these cars was a building on West Grand
Avenue in Oakland CA. I used to see these cars spotted there all the
time. There was at least one that was "permanently" there for He
storage. All gone, though. Sniff!!!

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor
 

But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor

I've seen both the O and HO scale PRB models. Bruce is correct that
the HO scale version is awful, and Rob is correct that the O scale
model is vastly better. The fact that John Smith of PRB was/is an O
scale modeler may help to explain this disparity.

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith
 

On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
<VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
would result in a nicely weighted car.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Rod Miller
 

My O scale PRB helium car weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. 30 discrete
tanks have been modeled; whether the tank models are tubes or
sold rod is unknown.

At the time the models were imported there was some banter
about a loaded real car weighing less than an empty car, which
of course we know is not correct.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:

On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor
Tim,
You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
<VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
would result in a nicely weighted car.
Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

Tim O'Connor
 

That's about the equivalent of 7.5oz for an HO model -
less than many HO brass models. But in O scale I imagine
those are indeed tubes, and the brass walls, roof and floor
are closer to scale than they would be in HO. So an HO
brass model probably would come in closer to 12oz or more.

Tim

At 2/13/2009 06:08 PM Friday, you wrote:
My O scale PRB helium car weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. 30 discrete
tanks have been modeled; whether the tank models are tubes or
sold rod is unknown.

At the time the models were imported there was some banter
about a loaded real car weighing less than an empty car, which
of course we know is not correct.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:
On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
<VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
would result in a nicely weighted car.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Rich C
 

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller bearing. All were retired by 1998+/-. I have more prototype data if anyone is interested.
 
RIch C

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor> wrote:

From: Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 5:21 PM







That's about the equivalent of 7.5oz for an HO model -
less than many HO brass models. But in O scale I imagine
those are indeed tubes, and the brass walls, roof and floor
are closer to scale than they would be in HO. So an HO
brass model probably would come in closer to 12oz or more.

Tim

At 2/13/2009 06:08 PM Friday, you wrote:
My O scale PRB helium car weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. 30 discrete
tanks have been modeled; whether the tank models are tubes or
sold rod is unknown.

At the time the models were imported there was some banter
about a loaded real car weighing less than an empty car, which
of course we know is not correct.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:
On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
<VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
would result in a nicely weighted car.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


















[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Charles Dean
 

Rich,

I photographed a few of these helium cars passing through my town on the Norfolk Southern a few years ago. What prototype info do you have that you can share?

Best regards,

Charlie

Charles Dean
Shelbyville, Kentucky

----- Original Message -----
From: Rich C
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars


I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller bearing. All were retired by 1998+/-. I have more prototype data if anyone is interested.

RIch C

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor> wrote:

From: Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 5:21 PM

That's about the equivalent of 7.5oz for an HO model -
less than many HO brass models. But in O scale I imagine
those are indeed tubes, and the brass walls, roof and floor
are closer to scale than they would be in HO. So an HO
brass model probably would come in closer to 12oz or more.

Tim

At 2/13/2009 06:08 PM Friday, you wrote:
>My O scale PRB helium car weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. 30 discrete
>tanks have been modeled; whether the tank models are tubes or
>sold rod is unknown.
>
>At the time the models were imported there was some banter
>about a loaded real car weighing less than an empty car, which
>of course we know is not correct.
>
>Rod
>
>Bruce Smith wrote:
>> On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>> But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
>>> weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
>>> load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
>>> those sticks were made of brass...
>>>
>>> Tim O'Connor
>>
>>
>> Tim,
>>
>> You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
>> <VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
>> would result in a nicely weighted car.
>>
>> Regards
>> Bruce Smith
>> Auburn, AL

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Rich C (don't know his last name) wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller bearing. All were retired by 1998+/-.
Glad you said "+", since I saw several of them on the siding at Cape Canaveral in 2006.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:

Rich C (don't know his last name) wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the
prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier
duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller
bearing.
All were retired by 1998+/-.
Glad you said "+", since I saw several of them on the siding at
Cape Canaveral in 2006.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history
I photographed MAHX 1301 and 1047 at Oro Grande, NM on a US Army siding
adjacent to White Sands Missile Range in June 1982 and MAHX 1211-A &
1211-B at Rincon, New Mexico on the Santa Fe in December 1989. The car
numbers 1211-A & 1211-B suggest a permanently couple pair of cars but I
don't recall ever checking that while I was there.

Gene Green