Boxcar construction details, C&EI 65000-65499

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some construction information about the Chicago &
Eastern Illinois 40ft boxcars in the series CEI 65000-65499. A
builder's photo of CEI 65095 is on the pay-side of the RPI website:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/displayimage.php?i=31827#

An in-service shot of CEI 65432 is at:

http://www.boxcars.us/Boxcars_A_M/C-CM/images/3C&EI,%2040'%20Single%
20Door%20Boxcar,%2065432.jpg

And a picture of CEI 65360 is on page 16 of Classic Freight Cars,
Volume 7.

My questions are:

1) These cars were built in at least two lots in 1951 and 1952. Which
car numbers were built which month and year? I have March 1951 for
65095, and April 1952 for 65360.

2) What sort of brakewheels were used? The shot of 65095 shows a
Champion brakewheel, while a shot of 65360 may show an Equipco
brakewheel.

3) What sort of running boards were utilized? I believe the photo of
65095 indicates a US Gypsum running board.

4) I think ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks were used on all cars in the
series. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Mark Heiden wrote:

1) These cars were built in at least two lots in 1951 and 1952. Which
car numbers were built which month and year? I have March 1951 for
65095, and April 1952 for 65360.

2) What sort of brakewheels were used? The shot of 65095 shows a
Champion brakewheel, while a shot of 65360 may show an Equipco
brakewheel.

3) What sort of running boards were utilized? I believe the photo of
65095 indicates a US Gypsum running board.

4) I think ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks were used on all cars in the
series. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden
Mark,
The cars were built in two groups, 65000-65299 in 1951 and 65300-65499
in 1952. The C&EI diagram provides the year of production, but not the
months. Builder was Eastern Illinois Equipment Company of Danville,
Illinois. The diagram references orders from International Steel, which
I can only presume furnished steel parts other than specialty items.

Roof: SREM diagonal panel riveted
Ends: Dreadnaught Corrugated Steel Ends (R+3/4 Improved)
Side sheathing: .10" welded (12 panels per side)
Doors: Youngstown with Camel fixtures (65000-65199 and 65300-65499);
Utility doors and fixtures (65200-65299)
Hand brakes: Champion-Peacock (65000-65299); Miner (65300-65499)
Running boards and brake steps: U.S. Gypsum expanded metal (all 500
cars)
Trucks: ASF A-3 Ride-Control (all 500 cars)
Wheels: One wear wrot steel (65000-65299); cast iron (65300-65499)
8-rung ladders

You didn't ask about these, but another series of cars 100 cars
(66200-66299) were built in 1952 with identical features as
65300-65499. One exception was that 66275-66299 had Nailable Steel
Flooring. Arnold Menke offers an excellent photo of C&EI 66222, new
5-52, photographed Winnipeg, Manitoba in August 1952.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Was there not an article on modelling these cars in Mainline Modeler a
few years ago?

Steve Lucas.

sparachuk <sparachuk@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

Was there not an article on modelling these cars in Mainline Modeler a
few years ago?

Steve Lucas.
Steve: That goes 'way back to the eighties, an article by Jeff English
I think it was. He kitbashed an Athearn car with some Cannonball
reefer ends into a MP car. There was an article on the prototypes in
that issue as well. I still read those old Mainline Modelers again and
again. There was some fantastic information and some really good
modelling in those magazines and it's now nearly thirty years since
that stuff first appeared!

Stephan Parachuk
Toronto

sparachuk <sparachuk@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "sparachuk" <sparachuk@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@> wrote:

Was there not an article on modelling these cars in Mainline Modeler a
few years ago?

Steve Lucas.
Steve: I found the Mainline Modelers concerning 1932 boxcars. The
kitbashing article by Jeff English was in June 1985. The article on
the protoype 1932 cars was February 1986 by John Nehrich. There are
drawings done by Robert Hundman showing different roof and door
options, drawings of the side sill/floor interface and photos of an
underframe and several different different cars, including a Mt Vernon
Car Mfg Co demo. The same issue also includes an article on hand
brakes by the aforementioned Jeff English with illustrations of the
various types.
[...]

Steve: Okay, having seen the picture of the car you're asking about
let me say I seem to have been talking through my hat. This is not the
same car as the MM articles. Still good articles though.
Stephan

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Ed, didn't one series of C&EI cars (66300-?) have "carbuilder ends"
(aka Dartnot)? Do you have specs on those?

Tim O'Connor

Mark Heiden

Hi Ed,

I think the reference to International Steel on the equipment diagrams
is regarding the Utility doors on CEI 65200-65299. I found a message in
the STMFC archives (#27787) addressing this. These doors, which
featured a small door located high on the main door for loading bulk
commodities, were fabricated by International Steel. There is text and
a picture on page 323 in the 1953 Car Builder's Cyclopedia.
Interestingly, these doors seem to have been installed on cars destined
for sand loading.

Mark