Westerfield ACF Photo CD Electronic Index

Dick

Hi Claus,

Great list.

Appreciate your efforts.

Dick
Clarence, NY

In a message dated 2/13/2009 7:53:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
claus@... writes:

Hi List Members,

A while back, I purchased one of Al Westerfield'A while back, I purchased

The good part of this CD is that it has hundreds of lovely ACF builders
photos.

The bad part of this CD is that there is no simple electronic way to search
the CD contents. Things like, say, find all the photos of PRR cars. Or find
all the photos of tank cars. Or find all the cars built in 1919.

In short, there is no electronic index of any sort, making it hard to find
what you are looking for other than by labor-intensive means.

To remedy this, I created such an index. It can be found at the url below.

_http://groups.http://grohttp://grouphttp://groups.<Whttp://groups.<Whttp://gr
oups_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/files/Westerfield%20ACF%20Photo%20CD%20Index/)

If the url does not work, go to groups.yahoo.If the url does not work, go
to groups.yahoo.<WBR>com, log in, go to the STMFC group, go to the files se

There you will find an excel spreadsheet listing the CD file name, road
name, car number, build date, and car type.

While I did the grunt work of doing the data entry, I make no ownership
claim of this thing - everyone is free to use this as they wish. For example, if
Al would like to distribute it with the CD, that is entirely fine with me.

As a rule, when doing the data entry, I took the builder's date from the car
lettering when available and legible, and if not, I used what was indicated
on the chalkboard found in some images.

I'm sure there are a million mistakes, they are all mine. In particular,
things like distinguishing reefers from insulated boxcars was not always
possible, so I guessed. Still, this is better than what we had before, even with all
the warts.

Enjoy - Claus Schlund

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
bemailfooterNO62)

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi List Members,

A while back, I purchased one of Al Westerfield's excellent ACF Photo CDs.

The good part of this CD is that it has hundreds of lovely ACF builders photos.

The bad part of this CD is that there is no simple electronic way to search the CD contents. Things like, say, find all the photos of PRR cars. Or find all the photos of tank cars. Or find all the cars built in 1919.

In short, there is no electronic index of any sort, making it hard to find what you are looking for other than by labor-intensive means.

To remedy this, I created such an index. It can be found at the url below.

If the url does not work, go to groups.yahoo.com, log in, go to the STMFC group, go to the files section, and go to "Westerfield ACF Photo CD Index".

There you will find an excel spreadsheet listing the CD file name, road name, car number, build date, and car type.

While I did the grunt work of doing the data entry, I make no ownership claim of this thing - everyone is free to use this as they wish. For example, if Al would like to distribute it with the CD, that is entirely fine with me.

As a rule, when doing the data entry, I took the builder's date from the car lettering when available and legible, and if not, I used what was indicated on the chalkboard found in some images.

I'm sure there are a million mistakes, they are all mine. In particular, things like distinguishing reefers from insulated boxcars was not always possible, so I guessed. Still, this is better than what we had before, even with all the warts.

Enjoy - Claus Schlund

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Claus - My goodness! It must have taken you weeks to do the spread sheet. I'll include the link in my instructions and credit you. - Al

[...]

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

Claus, let me help identify one photo on the Westerfield CD. It is not a very clear in the Westerfield collection, being washed
out on the upper part of the tank, but Kaminski has a very clear photo of same image in his ACF Tank Car book, on page 81.

You have listed in your spreadsheet line #1769 as "unknown006~1908.jpg M&StL 100 1908 tank high sideboards"

It is not an M&StL tank car. Clearly visible in the photo in Kaminski's book, the upper lettering not visible on the Westerfield
CD image reads "Kettle River Quarries Co.", below it reads Minneapolis and St. Louis. The caption in Kaminski's book reads -
Kettle River Quarries Co. (KRQCo. 100). 10,000 gallon, MCB Class II tank car with 50-ton trucks built in February 1909 from an
order for 5 on Lot #5408. (ACF photo, Edward S. Kaminski collection.)

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

Claus,

Thank you for both developing this helpful tool and most importantly
for sharing it with others for both critique and use. Do you model
B&O Steam Era Freight Cars? I sure could use some articles for the
B&O Modeler online magazine. It's to bad everyone does not have your
willingness to share their work. Again, thank you.

Best Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Summerfield, NC

--- In STMFC@..., "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

A while back, I purchased one of Al Westerfield's excellent ACF
Photo CDs.

The good part of this CD is that it has hundreds of lovely ACF
builders photos.

The bad part of this CD is that there is no simple electronic way
to search the CD contents. Things like, say, find all the photos of
PRR cars. Or find all the photos of tank cars. Or find all the cars
built in 1919.

In short, there is no electronic index of any sort, making it hard
to find what you are looking for other than by labor-intensive means.

To remedy this, I created such an index. It can be found at the url
below.

20CD%20Index/

[...]

Wendye Ware

--- In STMFC@..., "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...> wrote:

A while back, I purchased one of Al Westerfield's excellent ACF Photo
CDs.

... there is no electronic index of any sort, making it hard to find
what you are looking for other than by labor-intensive means.

To remedy this, I created such an index.

Enjoy - Claus Schlund
Hi Claus

This is superb! Thank you very much for doing this and making it
available to us all.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

proto48er

Claus -

Thank you very much for making your index of Westerfield AC&F photos
available!

A.T. Kott

lrkdbn

--- In STMFC@..., "proto48er" <atkott@...> wrote:

Claus -

Thank you very much for making your index of Westerfield AC&F photos
available!

AMEN!!!
Larry King