Tank Car Info

armprem

Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX 99988 ,92725 :PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.Armand Premo

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 16, 2009, at 7:07 AM, A. Premo wrote:
Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the
following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX
99988 ,92725
:PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.

I can probably give you some help here, Armand, if you'll specify the
approximate date for which you want this information.

Richard Hendrickson

armprem

Thank you .12/50

On Feb 16, 2009, at 7:07 AM, A. Premo wrote:
Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the
following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX
99988 ,92725
:PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.

I can probably give you some help here, Armand, if you'll specify the
approximate date for which you want this information.

Richard Hendrickson

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 2/16/2009 6:51:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
thompson@signaturepress.com writes:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
SHPX 25306: no such car number in the 10/50 ORER.
I'm pretty sure this is an SHPX covered hopper, not a tank car.
April 1952 ORER SHPX 25306 is indeed a 70 ton 1958cf covered hopper

Rich Orr

**************
Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&;ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

Charles Dean

I have GATX 4251 with heater coils, tank capacity 8044 gal, dome capacity 198 gal.

Best regards,

Charlie

Charles Dean
Shelbyville, Kentucky

Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the
following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX 99988 ,92725
:PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.Armand Premo

armprem

Thank you.Armand Premo

Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the
following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX 99988 ,92725
:PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.Armand Premo

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 16, 2009, at 7:07 AM, A. Premo wrote:
Group,I am seeking information as to the type and capacity of the
following tank cars :GATX 32071 ,4251 :SHPX 25306 ,3285 : UTLX
99988 ,92725
:PGX 54 :PQX 54.Any help will be appreciated.

With Armand's date of 12/50, I looked these cars up in the 10/50
ORER, then check my photo files and other data files, and here's what
I found:

GATX 32071: AAR class TPI, 50 tons nominal capacity. As usual with
GATC, this car is in a number series that includes a dog's breakfast
of cars ranging from 6K gal. chlorine cars to 10.5K gal. LPG cars.
Could be almost any insulated, high pressure car.

GATX 4251: AAR class TM, 40 tons nom. capy. This squares with the
data Charlie Dean had on the car. I have photos of a couple of other
cars in the series, but though they're 8,000 gal. ARA IIIs, they were
built by different builders (STC and AC&F), so GATX 4251 could be
almost any type of 8K gal. ARA III or ICC -103.

SHPX 25306: no such car number in the 10/50 ORER.

SHPX 3285: AAR class TA, ICC class 105A-300W, nominal capacity 40
tons. Like GATC, Shippers lumped large batches of disparate cars
under the same number series in the ORERs. However, we know from the
class designation that this was a high pressure acid car with a
welded tank, and the weight capacity indicates that it was no larger
than 8K gals., possibly 7K gals. (which was a common size for acid
tanks).

UTLX 99988: series 99500-99999, AAR class TPI, ICC class 105-300W.
These were all UTL-design (their class X-5-300) 11,000 gal. LPG
cars. I have a photo of UTLX 99529 with a built date in 1939, but
other cars in the series appear to have been built later.

UTLX 92725: series 91000-93999, AAR class TPI, ICC class 1050-300W.
UTL design (their class X-5-300) 11,000 gal. LPG cars. I have a
builder's photo of UTLX 92001 dated 5/48 and in-service photos of
91836 and 92042.

I hope this is helpful.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
SHPX 25306: no such car number in the 10/50 ORER.
I'm pretty sure this is an SHPX covered hopper, not a tank car.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

I just realized that, in my response to Armand, I overlooked PGX 54
and PQX 54. PGX 54 is apparently a recording error; the PGX
reporting marks were not in use in 1950. PQX were the reporting
marks for the Philadelphia Quartz Co., and PQX 54 was one of cars
numbered 47, 49, 50, and 55 which were, like almost all of the
company's 118 tank cars, AAR class TM with 50 tons nominal
capacity. The low numbers and the gaps in the number sequence
suggest that these were older cars, some of which had been wrecked
or retired. They were probably 8,000 gal. cars, though PQX did
have a few 10,000 gal. cars, and were certainly ICC-203s or the
earlier equivalent thereof, i.e. with single frangible disk vents
instead of safety valves, as all PQX cars were used in silicate of
soda service and that 's a non-regulatory commodity.

Richard Hendrickson

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 16, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is an SHPX covered hopper, not a tank car.
Tony,
You are correct. SHPX 25306 was a 70-ton 1,958 cu. ft. covered hopper
from lot number 3016, series 25269-25307, built 5-47, and leased to
General Chemical Company. The entire car was painted black with white
stencils.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

armprem

Richard and Tony,Thank you for the information.Since the data raising the question initially came directly from actual wheel reports raises the question of accuracy.How could anyone confuse a tank car with a covered hopper?The primary sources are over 50 years old and are still in very good condition.I shall revisit these items to see how closely the "Q " and the "G" seem to be and if they are by the same conductor.Maybe there was a violation of Rule G.Thanks again for all your help.Armand Premo

Armand Premo wrote:
Since the data raising the question initially came directly from actual wheel reports raises the question of accuracy.How could anyone confuse a tank car with a covered hopper?The primary sources are over 50 years old and are still in very good condition.
I hate to be the one to break this to you, Armand, but not everything on paper is accurate, not even handwritten stuff on paper. <g>

On Feb 16, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Richard Hendrickson wrote:
SHPX 25306: no such car number in the 10/50 ORER.
I'm pretty sure this is an SHPX covered hopper, not a tank car.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that, but it turns out that you're
correct. One of 514 cars in the 25000-25652 series of 1978 cu. ft.
two bay covered hoppers.

Richard Hendrickson

armprem

Rechecking my sources,I find that I_ made the mistake.The "Q" and the "G" looked different to my failing eyesight.The covered hopper however,was listed as an "ET".Thank you all for the help.Armand Premo

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Good point! I hadn't thought of that, but it turns out that you're correct. One of 514 cars in the 25000-25652 series of 1978 cu. ft. two bay covered hoppers.
That would be 1958 cu. ft., actually, the "standard" size of covered hoppers of the day, which were practically all built for cement service.
I knew the SHPX number series right away, because I built a model of one. There is something about applying car numbers with decals which tends to fix them in your memory. <g>

On Feb 16, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Good point! I hadn't thought of that, but it turns out that you're
correct. One of 514 cars in the 25000-25652 series of 1978 cu. ft.
two bay covered hoppers.
That would be 1958 cu. ft., actually, the "standard" size of
covered hoppers of the day, which were practically all built for
cement
service.

Certainly true that 1958 cu. ft. was the standard size, both for the
cars AC&F built and for the copies made by GATC and others. However,
Shippers Car Line shows the cubic capacity of these cars as 1978 cu.
ft. in the 10/50 ORER. Go figure.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Shippers Car Line shows the cubic capacity of these cars as 1978 cu. ft. in the 10/50 ORER. Go figure.
Maybe a typo. By the 1953 ORER, they have become 1958 cu. ft.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Cyril Durrenberger

Not the first time that ORER data was not correct.  And sometimes the bad data lasted for many years.  So one should check the data if they appear to be strange.

A case in point, for almost their whole time on the roster a class of HE&WT box cars were listed as 36' cars in the ORER.  But they were really 34' cars, that is if you can believe the photos.  The mistake was corrected about 2 years before they were all off the roster.

Cyril Durrenberger

Shippers Car Line shows the cubic capacity of these cars as 1978 cu.
ft. in the 10/50 ORER. Go figure.

Maybe a typo. By the 1953 ORER, they have become 1958 cu. ft.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com

Publishers of books on railroad history