MP Eagle Merchandise colors

Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

I've just started building Sunshine kit# 19.6, MP 36' steel rblt box car in the Eagle Merchandise scheme. RP CYC 14, pages 8-11 is my primary reference. Sunshine calls for "flag" blue & cream sides, yellow doors, silver ends, gray roof. RP CYC says blue&cream sides, yellow doors with a gray center section, gray ends & galvanized roof with gray seam caps. I'm going the RP CYC way.

I plan to use a mix of aluminum & gray for the galvanized part of the roof and reefer yellow for the top/bottom panels of the doors. But what to choose for blue, cream, gray? My RR is NP not MP, plus choosing colors from b&w pictures isn't easy. I chose colors from the Floquil/Pollyscale pages of Testors website. These colors differ from the pics in the Walthers catalog. And what's in the bottle may differ from both of those. However, looking at my monitor, I chose Conrail or B&M blue, TH&B or D&RGW cream, and SP light lettering gray. Comments?

And looking at the pic on page 11, at least one of these cars clearly had an Apex roofwalk with wood laterals.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

cshope@...

Jim:

Modelflex - MP Eagle Blue and Eagle Roof Gray

Charles D. Shope

_____

[...]

Thanks Charles, I must have been mesmerized by Testors' website. I forgot about Modelflex.
That takes care of blue and gray. Anyone have a suggestion for the Eagle cream?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

cshope@... wrote:

Jim:

Modelflex - MP Eagle Blue and Eagle Roof Gray

Charles D. Shope

Tim O'Connor

Des Plaines Hobbies has custom mixed colors including
the MP Eagle colors.

At 2/20/2009 02:24 PM Friday, you wrote:
[...]

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 20, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Jim and Lisa Hayes wrote:

That takes care of blue and gray. Anyone have a suggestion for the
Eagle
cream?
Jim,
Ron Sebastian offers specially mixed Scalecoat paint for MoPac colors
including yellow (DPH964 Missouri Pacific Cream 254-55073).

http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/

Click on the custom paint link for a list.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

OK. Now I'm getting confused by nomenclature. Ed, rereading your article in RPC 14, the sides are blue with a gray center band. In the pictures, that center band is a different color than the ends. Are the 'gray' center bands DPH964 Missouri Pacific Cream and the ends DPH965 Missouri Pacific Gray? And while I'm talking to the expert, is reefer yellow an OK color for the upper & lower portions of the door?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

On Feb 20, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Jim and Lisa Hayes wrote:

OK. Now I'm getting confused by nomenclature. Ed, rereading your
article
in RPC 14, the sides are blue with a gray center band. In the
pictures,
that center band is a different color than the ends. Are the 'gray'
center bands DPH964 Missouri Pacific Cream and the ends DPH965
Missouri
Pacific Gray? And while I'm talking to the expert, is reefer yellow an
OK color for the upper & lower portions of the door?
Jim,
The gray band extends completely across the car including the door. The
end is the same gray as used on the sides. Some of these cars received
blue ends. The yellow (also referred to as cream) is on the door that
interrupts the blue bands on the sides.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

Thanks. I think I have it now.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Ed Hawkins wrote:

Jim,
The gray band extends completely across the car including the door. The end is the same gray as used on the sides. Some of these cars received blue ends. The yellow (also referred to as cream) is on the door that interrupts the blue bands on the sides.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

sunbeam13n14

Ed -

Did these cars run in passenger trains or second class freight? Would they usually be found on the house track of the local depot or at the MP freight house? Did they run singly or would you be apt to see several in a train? As brightly painted as they were I don't remember ever seeing one.

Thanks
Frank

On Feb 21, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Frank Fertitta wrote:

Did these cars run in passenger trains or second class freight? Would
they usually be found on the house track of the local depot or at the
MP freight house? Did they run singly or would you be apt to see
several in a train? As brightly painted as they were I don't remember
ever seeing one.
Frank,
Eagle Merchandise Service (XME) box cars were for less-than-carload
freight service. They were often found on house tracks at a local depot
to be loaded or unloaded, such as the color photo at Topeka, Kansas,
shown in RP CYC Vol. 14. They were commonly run in blocks of 3 or more
cars, as exemplified in wheel reports shown and illustrated in the
recently published Fall-Winter 2008 edition of The Eagle
(www.mopac.org). The cars had stencils in the upper left corner of the
sides stating they were to be kept on line. That's not to say they
didn't get off line, but prior to the late 1950s it wasn't a common
occurrence. So if you didn't happen to see them and were looking off
line, that's the reason you don't recall seeing them. The Eagle
Merchandise Service less-than-carload service was terminated in 1961,
and the cars were then free to roam. By this time the cars weren't
looking so bright and cheerful.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

asychis@...

They did make to some pretty obscure places on the MP. In discussion with
Joe Collias, I sent him a photo of my layout with one of these cars spotted at
the house track in Zeigler. Joe made mention that he didn't think an Eagle
Merchandise Car would show up on the Southern Illinois coal branch lines.
But, lo and behold, a photo of the Bush yards around 1954 or so, that he sent
me, shows one of the cars.

Jerry Michels
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

asychis@...

The yellow (also referred to as cream) is on the door that
interrupts the blue bands on the sides

But the reference to "cream" is not the same as the striping on diesels. It
was a brighter yellow, correct? Closer to reefer yellow. I was kind of
surprised by the references to silver or aluminum in the Sunshine instructions.
Other than the roof, there was no silver on these cars.

On Feb 22, 2009, at 7:49 PM, asychis@... wrote:

The yellow (also referred to as cream) is on the door that
interrupts the blue bands on the sides

But the reference to "cream" is not the same as the striping on
diesels. It
was a brighter yellow, correct? Closer to reefer yellow. I was kind of
surprised by the references to silver or aluminum in the Sunshine
instructions.
Other than the roof, there was no silver on these cars.
Jerry,
As far as I can determine the yellow (sometimes also called cream) on
the doors was the identical color used for striping on passenger cars
an MP Diesel locomotives. The terms "cream" and "yellow" were used
synonymously on MoPac painting diagrams. I don't know where Sunshine
came up with silver or aluminum on their instructions. There wasn't any
silver specified for use on these cars. The yellow color was a
relatively pale shade and faded quickly to even a more pale shade. The
Sherwin-Williams yellow paint specified on the MP stenciling drawing
was G41AC15 if that means anything to anyone 50-plus years after the
cars were painted.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins