Brake Diagram for WW2 Pullman Troop Sleeper

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Tony.

SGL

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
So where does it come to pass that giving someone >>A<< copy for
their own use is a problem? That certainly does not constitute
"publication."
Right on target, Schuyler. It's called "fair use" and it's
spelled out in the law.

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
So where does it come to pass that giving someone >>A<< copy for their own use is a problem? That certainly does not constitute "publication."
Right on target, Schuyler. It's called "fair use" and it's spelled out in the law.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Marty, I didn't quite catch this message of yours yesterday, but, forgive me, but I think you're
being a bit silly. If "someone else" were to go to a good library, or their model railroad club's
library, and take a magazine to the copier to copy it "for their own use" that is legal.

So where does it come to pass that giving someone >>A<< copy for their own use is a problem? That
certainly does not constitute "publication." I mean, I don't condone wholesale copying of an
article and handing it out willy-nilly to anybody who happens by, or worse, selling those copies,
but a single copy to one other person?

SGL

Marty and list;

Marty, you're absolutely right on that, and in fact as I went out
yesterday evening I was thinking just that - "You can't do that..."

Oh well, lesson learned, no harm, no foul... Thanks for the gentle
reminder, though!

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "cvsne" <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

More bad news Jim, you cannot send a photocopy of the
article/drawings
to someone else. I don't think the police will come knocking, but I
should remind you of that. Photocopies (or perhaps back issues) are
available directly from the nice folks at Kalmbach Publishing.

Marty

bnpmodeler

--- In STMFC@..., "cvsne" <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

More bad news Jim, you cannot send a photocopy of the
article/drawings
to someone else. I don't think the police will come knocking, but I
should remind you of that. Photocopies (or perhaps back issues) are
available directly from the nice folks at Kalmbach Publishing.

Marty

golden1014

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the response. Mike Aufderheide came through immediately
with drawings, and I'm sure I have that issue of MR in case I need
back up.

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "cvsne" <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Wow, good memory - I don't even remember that article and had to
look
it up.

I don't know where Harold got the information for those drawings -
it
was Harold's usual practice to measure an existing prototype if one
could be found - always a dangerous thing since you never know
if/how
completely a car had been "restored" or "preserved.".

--- In STMFC@..., "bnpmodeler" <bnchmark@> wrote:

Hi John and list;

The December 2001 issue of Model Railroader has an article by
Marty
McGuirk entitled "Troop Sleepers" that includes a set of drawings
by
Harold Russell; there are two exceptional underbody views (two
different step treatments = two different views) that ought to
tell
you all you need to know to detail your car. E-mail off-list if
you
would like me to send a photocopy.
More bad news Jim, you cannot send a photocopy of the
article/drawings
to someone else. I don't think the police will come knocking, but I
should remind you of that. Photocopies (or perhaps back issues) are
available directly from the nice folks at Kalmbach Publishing.

Marty

Marty McGuirk

[...]

Hi Bruce;

Thank you for the clarification; I had no idea and should have known
better... It's nice to know the drawings are correct for SOMEthing,
and all the better that that something is what John is looking for!
Also good for me when I get around to modeling DL & W/EL m-o-w
equipment with these models. Thank you again;

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2009, at 3:45 PM, bnpmodeler wrote:

Hi John and list;

The December 2001 issue of Model Railroader has an article by
Marty
McGuirk entitled "Troop Sleepers" that includes a set of drawings
by
Harold Russell; there are two exceptional underbody views (two
different step treatments = two different views) that ought to
tell
you all you need to know to detail your car. E-mail off-list if
you
would like me to send a photocopy.

Jim Harr
Jim, John,

Bad news/good news. The drawings used for the troop sleeper
articles
were originally drawn for an article on the NYC express car
conversion. So the bad news is that these drawings are incorrect
for
the troop sleeper and troop kitchen cars as built and should not
have
been published as such. The good news for John is that they are
PRECISELY what he was looking for.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___
________________________________
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Bruce Smith

On Feb 24, 2009, at 3:45 PM, bnpmodeler wrote:

Hi John and list;

The December 2001 issue of Model Railroader has an article by Marty
McGuirk entitled "Troop Sleepers" that includes a set of drawings by
Harold Russell; there are two exceptional underbody views (two
different step treatments = two different views) that ought to tell
you all you need to know to detail your car. E-mail off-list if you
would like me to send a photocopy.

Jim Harr
Jim, John,

Bad news/good news. The drawings used for the troop sleeper articles were originally drawn for an article on the NYC express car conversion. So the bad news is that these drawings are incorrect for the troop sleeper and troop kitchen cars as built and should not have been published as such. The good news for John is that they are PRECISELY what he was looking for.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

bnpmodeler

Hi John and list;

The December 2001 issue of Model Railroader has an article by Marty
McGuirk entitled "Troop Sleepers" that includes a set of drawings by
Harold Russell; there are two exceptional underbody views (two
different step treatments = two different views) that ought to tell
you all you need to know to detail your car. E-mail off-list if you
would like me to send a photocopy.

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

--- In STMFC@..., John Golden <golden1014@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I've got one of those Walthers HO scale NYC "converted troop
sleeper" express cars that I intend to finish one of these months,
and was wondering if anyone has a brake rigging diagram you could
forward or post?  The model has rudimentary details and it'll be fun
to finish it right.  Thanks so much for the help!

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN