nice freight yard details

Tim O'Connor

I'll bet not too many layouts have a guy sitting on
a chair next to the yard throat, ready to throw that
switch...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=63aa8efb7477cb32_large

It's a 1942 view of an SP yard -- note the three PRR
box cars on the far track, and the 50' single sheathed
box car.

Tim O'Connor

mrslandser

Could that be an "early" Hump Yard?  Looks like there might be a small elevation in the track, although I do not see any yardman handling the uncoupling.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE

rwitt_2000

I'll bet not too many layouts have a guy sitting on
a chair next to the yard throat, ready to throw that
switch...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=63aa8efb7477cb32_large

It's a 1942 view of an SP yard -- note the three PRR
box cars on the far track, and the 50' single sheathed
box car.

Tim O'Connor

It is a "slip-switch" he's manually operating. Not the usual
arrangement for a yard throat.

A nice find Tim.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

I'll bet not too many layouts have a guy sitting on
a chair next to the yard throat, ready to throw that
switch...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=63aa8efb7477cb32_large

It's a 1942 view of an SP yard -- note the three PRR
box cars on the far track, and the 50' single sheathed
box car.
It is a "slip-switch" he's manually operating. Not the usual
arrangement for a yard throat.
A nice find Tim.
Bob Witt

Yes, a double-slip. There were two of them at the throat of
the Taylor Yard classification bowl. There are several shots
of the yard in the Life collection.

Tim O'Connor

rfederle@...

I like the tie plates under the chair legs. Looks like the end of that board has some wear too. Might not be the best of jobs though on a rainy wintery day (or night) though.

Nice shot.

Robert Federle
---- Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I'll bet not too many layouts have a guy sitting on
a chair next to the yard throat, ready to throw that
switch...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=63aa8efb7477cb32_large

It's a 1942 view of an SP yard -- note the three PRR
box cars on the far track, and the 50' single sheathed
box car.
It is a "slip-switch" he's manually operating. Not the usual
arrangement for a yard throat.
A nice find Tim.
Bob Witt

Yes, a double-slip. There were two of them at the throat of
the Taylor Yard classification bowl. There are several shots
of the yard in the Life collection.

Tim O'Connor

Nolan Hinshaw

On Feb 25, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I'll bet not too many layouts have a guy sitting on
a chair next to the yard throat, ready to throw that
switch...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=63aa8efb7477cb32_large

It's a 1942 view of an SP yard -- note the three PRR
box cars on the far track, and the 50' single sheathed
box car.
*I* happened to notice that it's a puzzle switch the tender
is throwing.
--
Nolan Hinshaw, native Californian since 1944
Scenescent in the Outer Sunset since 1971