What are your recommendations for HO decals for meat reefers?

Charlie Duckworth <trduck@...>

I'm probably the last guy on this list to have bought Gene Green's excellent color book on ice reefers. Are there 'good' sources for decals covering the private meat companies around - I model 1954?

Thanks - Charlie

sparachuk <sparachuk@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Charlie Duckworth" <trduck@...> wrote:

I'm probably the last guy on this list to have bought Gene Green's excellent color book on ice reefers. Are there 'good' sources for decals covering the private meat companies around - I model 1954?

Thanks - Charlie
Charlie: One source for a lot of reefer decals is Clover House. They're dry transfers but you can put them on decal paper. Download their catalogue, because it takes too long to read it online. I've got Gene's book and it's a good one.

Stephan Parachuk
Toronto

brianehni <behni@...>

Be very careful when ordering from Clover House. These are very nice dry transfers, but many of his decals are much too old for the era Charlie specified. Russ has marked his decals with the approximate dates of service, so make sure you get ones that are the right age.

Brian Ehni

--- In STMFC@..., "brianehni" <behni@...> wrote:

[...]

Charlie: Brian makes a good point about those decals although you can match the illustrations to the photos in Gene's book. There's also a set from Microscale 87-890 that has a few usable lettering combos. Some are a bit weird but some are good and there are lots of dimensional numbers and so on with black backgrounds. Mark Vaughan has some URTX sets as well, for M&StL. I used the URTX lettering plus a small CGW herald to make a car for a friend who was a CGW fan.
That car is in the book too.

Stephan Parachuk
Toronto

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

Charlie, while Clover House does early era stuff, they offer dry transfers for meat reefers suitable for the 50's. I have used
their sets for Decker (gone by the 50's) Armour and Swift cars. And don't forget Sunshine Models offers a line of meat reefers
suitable for the 50's and may have the decals available separately.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

golden1014

Group,

The Sunshine decals are all available separately. I order decals from Sunshine now and then. I write a letter explaining exactly what I want, and send a check for $6.00 for each set. Then I wait. Sometimes I have to wait for 60 days, and sometimes--as was the case the last time I ordered decals--I wait nine months.

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

Charlie, while Clover House does early era stuff, they offer dry transfers for meat reefers suitable for the 50's. I have used
their sets for Decker (gone by the 50's) Armour and Swift cars. And don't forget Sunshine Models offers a line of meat reefers
suitable for the 50's and may have the decals available separately.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

mforsyth127

Charlie,

Personally, I'm vexed by "Reefer Madness", and am on a quest to build many that moved on the Erie in the early 50's.

Some of the suggestions given a very good. Might I also add Oddball decals as a potential source. I model in "O" scale, but Oddball will make any set they offer in a variety of scales...AND THEY HAVE REEFERS!!! You'll need to look through his online list, to see what interests you. I ordered a few months ago, and his service is prompt, and pricing is good.

http://www.oddballsdecals.org/

Champ still makes the decals for Kingan's, ART, Morell, Swift, MDT/NRC, etc.

Microscale also offers a slew of reefer decals..

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=REEFER

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the DL&W, Erie, PRR, NYC
and LV, in "O" Scale, Elmira, NY 1951