Vesuvius box car

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

List;

Does anyone on the list know anything about the box cars owned by Vesuvius
Crucible, of Swissvale, PA? The photo shown in Classic Freight Cars is
interesting, but confuses me as far as the car's heritage goes. Were they
second-hand cars? When did they first come out in Vesuvius paint? What are
the key features of the car(s)?

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood

_,___

Scott Pitzer

I don't have the book handy, but I remember thinking that the car shown had peculiarities I associate with Pittsburgh and Lake Erie.
Scott Pitzer

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

List;

Does anyone on the list know anything about the box cars owned by Vesuvius
Crucible, of Swissvale, PA? The photo shown in Classic Freight Cars is
interesting, but confuses me as far as the car's heritage goes. Were they
second-hand cars?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Scott;

That's interesting! I had a similar impression, based on several series' of
P&LE cars that looked like an upgraded '37AAR in some respects. I hope
others have had additional observations!

BTW, if I remember correctly, you had built a Sunshine C&O gon that you
brought to one of the meets I wanted to ask you about recently. What scheme
did you do your car in, and what years did that lettering apply to?

Regards,

Elden Gatwood

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gatwood,