Wabash hand brake

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

wlhoss@...

What do they look like? Can you reference a photo(s) on line?

Thanks,
Bill Hoss

In a message dated 3/26/2009 10:01:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
elden.j.gatwood@... writes:

Clark;

Because tooling that handbrake would be incredibly time intensive (ask Kadee
how long it took them to do their wheels), and not that many cars had that
wheel. I have gotten the same response on requests for an early Peacock or
any Klasing wheel.........

Elden Gatwood

**************Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219799606x1201361003/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doub
leclick.net%2Fclk%3B213153745%3B34689725%3Bo)

Victor Bitleris

I have attached a photograph of one I took in Owasso in 2007. According to Tony Koester, this is a Wabash Steel Sided Rebuild. Unfortunately I couldn't get close enough to take good photos of the B end, so the shot I posted here is the best I have. I also will be doing one of these using the Tichy Kit. I already have the requisite 7/8 ends.
I am hoping this list accepts attachments, if not, I will be happy to post it on the group photos or send in a private email
Regards, Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: STMFC@...
From: cepropst@...
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:06:13 -0500
Subject: [STMFC] Wabash hand brake

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

Quick access to Windows Live and your favorite MSN content with Internet Explorer 8.

To: STMFC@...
From: cepropst@...
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:06:13 -0500

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.

Paul Lyons

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Next question:
Why would you put out a kit without one of the most recognizable components?
I have spent time and money on a kit that I can't finish!
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Clark;

Because tooling that handbrake would be incredibly time intensive (ask Kadee
how long it took them to do their wheels), and not that many cars had that
wheel. I have gotten the same response on requests for an early Peacock or
any Klasing wheel.

Since a significant portion of all freight cars got their hand brake wheels
broken at some point, take a Miner housing and put a replacement Miner wheel
on it and tell people (in the unlikely event that anyone would ask) that it
needed a replacement! You can even put a freshly-painted wheel on a highly
weathered car, so they DO ask...

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , cobrapsl@...
wrote:

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have
seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I
have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few
years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a
very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The
hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes
on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Chet French <cfrench@...>

Clark,

I have a few photos of the cars in question showing later
Miner hand wheels (D-3279 or D-3384) which had replaced the
early wheel. So you can use the Miner hand brake with the
later wheel.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

I'm assembling the Wabash steel rebuild mini-kit Sunshine put out a few years ago using the Tichy steel rebuilt car.

The only photos of the B end I have are the one in the instructions and a very poor Sidney Wheeler snap shot. Both have some unusual hand brake. The hand wheel appears to be about 3' in diameter! Did they put any hand brakes on these cars at are available in HO scale?

Thanks for any help with this,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

While I haven't read the rest of the replies. I was thinking along those lines while on my 'cool off' walk.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Ness

Hi Clark,
While I'm not familiar with the brake wheel you're describing, I can't help but wonder; if it's about as big as you say, is it possible an S scale detail part might be workable for that 3' diameter? Or perhaps the wheel spokes and shortened and a new wire rim?

Regards,
Peter

--- In STMFC@..., "rockroll50401" <cepropst@...> wrote:

While I haven't read the rest of the replies. I was thinking along those lines while on my 'cool off' walk.
Clark Propst

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

Paul,
If it is the hand wheel I have in mind you might mention to Ted that I have a copy of the Miner blueprint for that hand wheel.

Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso

--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Paul Lyons

Gene,

I am going to see Ted the week after next and I will broach the subject again with him. However, when he has time, I know his brake wheel focus has been on?producing a Klasing wheel. I suspect?most folks?on this list would think that is the right priority. I know, as an SP modeler, I sure do!?

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

--- In STMFC@..., cobrapsl@... wrote:

Clark,

It is a very early Miner wheel that the Wabash seemed to like, as I have seen it on other cars besides this one. There is no HO detail part for it. I have spoken to Ted Culotta about it, but it is way down his "to do" list.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I was sirprised that that big old hand wheel on the car in the photo with the Sunshine mini-kit instruction was not in RP Cyc 10 the air brake issue.
Clark Propst