Freight cars equipped with skids & covers

Larry Kline

I just created a folder called _Early coil gons_ in the files section and added a drawing and several photos of NKP. PRR and P&WV gons and coil covers.

Note that the PRR covers and skids were designed for both coils and bundles of sheets as shown in the drawing. Based on the correspondence in PRR Mechanical Engineering files at the PRRT&HS Archives, the 1950s was a time when the steel industry was transitioning from tin-plated steel sheets to coils. As a result, many railroads began equipping gondolas with coil covers as discussed in earlier posts in this thread.

Some additional photos of P&WV coil gons can be found at:
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/1957HiLines/Jan1957P1.jpg
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/images/PWVGon7276Web.jpg

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

water.kresse@...

About the same time as the C&O was experimenting with skid shock absorbers and cover shapes at their Wyoming Shops in Grand Rapids.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Al Kresse