FGEX Single Sheathed Refrigerator Car

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

I didn't know Fruit Growers Express had single sheathed cars.

http://tinyurl.com/cwmnzm

Richard Wilkens

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

They were ex-PRR R7s, Richard. - Andy

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Ex PRR R7 see RPC 15 for more information on these cars.
Building them on the PRR PRO list right now.

Brian carlson

Bruce Smith

On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:41 PM, railsnw1 wrote:

I didn't know Fruit Growers Express had single sheathed cars.

http://tinyurl.com/cwmnzm

Richard Wilkens
Now you do! <G> That is an ex-PRR R7 (X23). It is offered in HO by Westerfield and over on the PRR Projects list (http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/PRRPro/) several folks are building them as part of our FGE woody project.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

We offer 3 FGE kits plus 3 FGE-leased kits. See our 11600 series at www.westerfield.biz. - Al Westerfield

On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:41 PM, railsnw1 wrote:

> I didn't know Fruit Growers Express had single sheathed cars.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cwmnzm
>

> Richard Wilkens

Now you do! <G> That is an ex-PRR R7 (X23). It is offered in HO by
Westerfield and over on the PRR Projects list (http://
groups.yahoo.com/group/PRRPro/) several folks are building them as
part of our FGE woody project.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

lnbill <bwelch@...>

Technically speaking, I think it would more accurate to say that these ex-PRR reefers were outside braced double sheathed cars. They did have insulation in the sides, although according to FGE company information it was only one half inch.

FGE owned another series of outside braced reefers, having acquired in 1945 the ten cars owned by the N&W and built to another design unique to them. A photo of one of these appeared in the Car Builders CYC in the early 1920's.

Bill Welch

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:
FGE owned another series of outside braced reefers, having acquired in 1945 the ten cars owned by the N&W and built to another design unique to them. A photo of one of these appeared in the Car Builders CYC in the early 1920's.

There are a couple of photos of these unique, outside braced N&W reefers in the Virginia Tech collection of N&W photos (imagebase.lib.vt.edu.....). Do a Yahoo seach of Norfolk & Western and you should find it.

Ed

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:
FGE owned another series of outside braced reefers, having acquired in 1945 the ten cars owned by the N&W and built to another design unique to them. A photo of one of these appeared in the Car Builders CYC in the early 1920's.

There are a couple of photos of these unique, outside braced N&W reefers in the Virginia Tech collection of N&W photos (imagebase.lib.vt.edu.....). Do a Yahoo seach of Norfolk & Western and you should finf it.

Ed

John Hile

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:

FGE owned another series of outside braced reefers, having acquired in 1945 the ten cars owned by the N&W and built to another design unique to them. A photo of one of these appeared in the Car Builders CYC in the early 1920's.

Bill,

Are these the N&W cars you mention?

http://tinyurl.com/d29elm

and

http://tinyurl.com/dgst5m

(Both from the Virginia Tech Imagebase)

Just curious,

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

lnbill <bwelch@...>

They are indeed the cars in question. I had not seen these but will be ordering prints of them. It is nice to see the end view, however partial it is. Given that there were only ten, the likelihood of seeing one of these in FGE stenciling seems small.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Hile" <john66h@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@> wrote:

FGE owned another series of outside braced reefers, having acquired in 1945 the ten cars owned by the N&W and built to another design unique to them. A photo of one of these appeared in the Car Builders CYC in the early 1920's.

Bill,

Are these the N&W cars you mention?

http://tinyurl.com/d29elm

and

http://tinyurl.com/dgst5m

(Both from the Virginia Tech Imagebase)

Just curious,

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

timbowilts <tim.tumber@...>

One fascinating bit of information in one of the two photographs is the backs of the wheels in the truck in the foreground.

Note that the ribs spiral in opposite directions. How many model wheelset manufacturers incorporate that I wonder?

Tim Tumber
Wiltshire, England

[...]

Andy Carlson

I believe the wheel shown in one of the photos is of a paper centered wheel, a wheel more common than many STMFC'ers realize in the early part of the 20th century.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

One fascinating bit of information in one of the two photographs is the backs of the wheels in the truck in the foreground.

Note that the ribs spiral in opposite directions. How many model wheelset manufacturers incorporate that I wonder?

Tim Tumber
Wiltshire, England

Barry Bennett <Barrybennetttoo@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

There are a couple of photos .......unique.........
These cars are not 'unique', but are 'unusual' or perhaps 'rarities' or some similar description but can NEVER be described as unique.

To be UNIQUE an item has to be a single, unduplicated object.

Barry Bennett

Self appointed member of the 'Prevention of the Abuse of the English Language Police.

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

List,

       Lord help us, Mike has a Deputy Sheriff on board. Grammatical scores will be tabuated.

Fred Freitas

There are a couple of photos .......unique. ........
These cars are not 'unique', but are 'unusual' or perhaps 'rarities' or some similar description but can NEVER be described as unique.

To be UNIQUE an item has to be a single, unduplicated object.

Barry Bennett

Self appointed member of the 'Prevention of the Abuse of the English Language Police.

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I'd have to guess that one reason that paper centred wheels fell out of favour is that a car fitted with them would not operate track circuits. Also the paper centre must have gotten fouled with journal box oil over time. Some heat from the brakeshoes, and you'd have a flaming wheel?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I believe the wheel shown in one of the photos is of a paper centered wheel, a wheel more common than many STMFC'ers realize in the early part of the 20th century.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

One fascinating bit of information in one of the two photographs is the backs of the wheels in the truck in the foreground.

Note that the ribs spiral in opposite directions. How many model wheelset manufacturers incorporate that I wonder?

Tim Tumber
Wiltshire, England

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

I'd have to guess that one reason that paper centred wheels fell out of favour is that a car fitted with them would not operate track circuits. Also the paper centre must have gotten fouled with journal box oil over time. Some heat from the brakeshoes, and you'd have a flaming wheel?

Steve Lucas.
Please. "paper" wheels shunt track circuits just fine, since they have steel tires, cast iron hubs, and a pair of steel plates that connect those parts together. The pressed paper was just a filler, which helped deaden the squealing sound that wheels made on curves.

How did paper wheels enter into this discussion?

Dennis

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Dennis--

I wasn't aware of the steel plates connecting wheel and hub on a "paper" wheel. But back OT...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

[...]

I can also contribute...

From a blueprint titled "Freight Car Data - Cars Rebuilt, Purchased and Built New, Etc." which is a single sheet of data tables, "Office Superintendent Motive Power, Norfolk & Western Railway Company, Roanoke, VA, January 1, 1939, (Revised)"

As of that date, there were 10 cars, class A-25, built 1918, but the number series changed to 70000 - 70009.

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA