ATSF 1958 cft covered hopper

peteraue

A few questions for the ATSF freight car experts:
I would like to upgrade my covered hopper models. Are the InterMountain 1958 cft covered hopper kits correct for any of the following ATSF classes: Ga-52/65/67/71/75? Did all of these classes have closed sides or were there any with open sides? What needs to be modified on the InterMountain kits to match the prototypes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Aue

Tim O'Connor

I'm no ATSF expert, but the -52, -67, -71 were built by
General American. The -75 was built by ATSF. (From kits?)
The -65 was built by ACF. RMJ 8/1991 has photos of one.

The Ga-71 roof had seam caps, so that is a noticeable
difference from any kits (Kato/Bowser/Intermountain). I
think Sunshine produced a minikit with a replacement
roof to model this car.

Tim O'Connor

At 4/20/2009 05:57 PM Monday, you wrote:
A few questions for the ATSF freight car experts:
I would like to upgrade my covered hopper models. Are the InterMountain 1958 cft covered hopper kits correct for any of the following ATSF classes: Ga-52/65/67/71/75? Did all of these classes have closed sides or were there any with open sides? What needs to be modified on the InterMountain kits to match the prototypes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Aue

Doug Dolloff

We are tooling a new roof with the seam caps. It should be available in a month or two.

Best regards,
Doug Dolloff
InterMountain

[...]

George Hollwedel

And the N Scale versions should come along when?

Prototype N Scale Models (TM)
by George Hollwedel
310 Loma Verde St
Buda, TX 78610-9785
512-796-6883
www.micro-trains.com/sr-0902-hollwedelUP.php
www.micro-trains.com/hollwedel.php
www.imrcmodels.com/n/sr/html/GHollSPTNO40BoxN.htm
www.imrcmodels.com/n/sr/html/GHollSP40BoxN.htm
www.imrcmodels.com/n/sr/html/GHollSP50SDBoxN.htm
www.imrcmodels.com/n/sr/html/GHollATSFExpressN.htm

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 20, 2009, 10:31 PM

[...]

    mailto:STMFC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

Rob & Bev Manley

Doug,
This will make a lot of CB&Q guys very happy.
There were some cool color variations too.
Mineral Red, Black, Grey and Orange.
Thanks,
Rob Manley

David North <davenorth@...>

I'm no ATSF expert, but the -52, -67, -71 were built by
General American. The -75 was built by ATSF. (From kits?)
The -65 was built by ACF. RMJ 8/1991 has photos of one.
The Ga-71 roof had seam caps, so that is a noticeable
difference from any kits (Kato/Bowser/Intermountain). I
think Sunshine produced a minikit with a replacement
roof to model this car.
Tim O'Connor

From the Society's Live List and folio diagrams where I have them,

the GA-52 and 67 were from ACF, while the 65 and 71 were from GAT.

The folio diagram for the GA-75 shows two series.

182060-182309 had radial steel roofs reclaimed from BX-8,9 & 10

box cars.

182310-182559 had Murphy solid riveted roofs.

As you say Tim it lists the builder as ATSF.

No info as to who the supplier may have been if they were kits.

Cheers

Dave North

charles slater

Peter, all the Santa Fe covered hoppers in these classes had four seam caps on the roof.

Intermountain is supposed to be making the ribed roof and hopefully will be out soon. The only classes of Santa Fe cars with the opensides were the ten cars of the Ga-45 class (it would be a kitbash from the intermountain car) and the Ga-52 class.

Also don't forget the Ga-79 class of hoppers in this group.

Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: peteraue@yahoo.de
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:57:30 +0000
Subject: [STMFC] ATSF 1958 cft covered hopper

A few questions for the ATSF freight car experts:
I would like to upgrade my covered hopper models. Are the InterMountain 1958 cft covered hopper kits correct for any of the following ATSF classes: Ga-52/65/67/71/75? Did all of these classes have closed sides or were there any with open sides? What needs to be modified on the InterMountain kits to match the prototypes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Aue

Windows Live SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009

Tim O'Connor

Dave North wrote

From the Society's Live List and folio diagrams where I have them,
the GA-52 and 67 were from ACF, while the 65 and 71 were from GAT.
Dave, thanks for the correction.

My source for Ga-52 info was Ed Hawkins' email 2005/08/07. I
made bad notes for the Ga-65 since Hendrickson posted correct
info back in 1999. Same with my Ga-67 notes.

Pecos River Brass imported Ga-45 model, #2602, with
round hatches, which I think represents a rebuilt car.

Tim O

At 4/22/2009 11:37 AM Wednesday, you wrote:

Peter, all the Santa Fe covered hoppers in these classes had four seam caps on the roof.

Intermountain is supposed to be making the ribed roof and hopefully will be out soon. The only classes of Santa Fe cars with the opensides were the ten cars of the Ga-45 class (it would be a kitbash from the intermountain car) and the Ga-52 class.

Also don't forget the Ga-79 class of hoppers in this group.

Charlie Slater

Ed Hawkins

On Apr 22, 2009, at 10:37 AM, charles slater wrote:

Peter, all the Santa Fe covered hoppers in these classes had four seam caps on the roof.

Intermountain is supposed to be making the ribed roof and hopefully will be out soon. The only classes of Santa Fe cars with the opensides were the ten cars of the Ga-45 class (it would be a kitbash from the intermountain car) and the Ga-52 class.

Also don't forget the Ga-79 class of hoppers in this group.

Charlie Slater
Charlie and Tim,
InterMountain's model will have both the open and closed side variants, and as Doug Dolloff stated the roof with seam caps is coming in a month or two. These are good variations to have available.

There's another aspect of an accurate Santa Fe model (plus cars for numerous other roads) that hasn't yet been discussed, namely the configuration of the hatch covers and locking bars.

If I have my facts straight, Santa Fe's covered hopper cars of this type had two different hatch cover configurations. The Ga-52, Ga-58, Ga-65, Ga-75 (series 182310-182559 only), and Ga-79 had hatch covers that essentially match the IM model with one long grab iron that runs longitudinally near the outboard edge. However, none of these cars were built by ACF (all were built either by GATC or ATSF), and an ACF locking bar design was used as the basis on IM models released to date. Therefore, even though the hatch covers for the stated classes of ATSF cars will be the right style, the locking bars are of a different appearance unless IM chooses to produce at least one more style of locking bar.

The Ga-67 and Ga-71 cars built in 1949 had a different hatch cover design with a pair of small grab irons that were perpendicular to the roof edge. This was actually the "common" hatch cover design for nearly all other prototype cars equipped with seam-capped roofs. Other railroads having roof/hatch arrangements like the Ga-67 and Ga-71 include all MP & subsidiaries, all but one early order for Burlington, M-K-T, LS&BC, and selected series of cars for CIL, D&RGW, DMIR, EJ&E, GN, and SL-SF. Locking bars for these cars were yet another variation. There's actually a third hatch cover arrangement used on some cars with seam-capped roofs (C&EI and GTW), but enough is enough.

The bottom line: it remains to be seen if IM will produce the more common hatch covers that were used on the majority of cars having roofs with seam caps. Perhaps Doug can provide some insight on this. Then there's still the matter of different locking bar arrangements used by the various builders. The car builder's sure knew how to make things complicated for scale models being produced 55-70 years later!
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

David North <davenorth@...>

Dave, thanks for the correction.
My source for Ga-52 info was Ed Hawkins' email 2005/08/07. I
made bad notes for the Ga-65 since Hendrickson posted correct
info back in 1999. Same with my Ga-67 notes.
Tim O'Connor

No probs, Tim.

Of course, I'm assuming that the folio diagrams were correct.

While I have no reason to doubt them, human nature dictates that errors

may occur occasionally.

Cheers

Dave

peteraue

Thank you very much for all your inputs. Lots of valuable information.
Peter Aue

peteraue

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Doug Dolloff <doug_irc@...> wrote:

We are tooling a new roof with the seam caps. It should be available in a month or two.

Best regards,
Doug Dolloff
InterMountain

What are the chances that InterMountain will make undecorated kits available? Modifiying ready to run cars with paint stripping and the rest of it is such a hassle. Please give it a try and have kits for sale.
Peter Aue

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "peteraue" <peteraue@...> wrote:

What are the chances that InterMountain will make undecorated kits available?
The initial version of this car is available as an undec kit, No. 43699.
It seems that most IM cars are offered in kit form: http://www.imrcmodels.com/ho/hokit.htm

Walt Lankenau

peteraue

Walt,

Sorry for not expressing myself correctly. I was asking for kits with the new roof with seam caps.
Peter Aue

SUVCWORR@...

Undec kits of the first version are now available for order by your dealer.? So it is not much of an extrapolation to assume the future variations will be available as undec kits.? But most likely, as with the first version, not until the second run.

Rich Orr