Wood Boxcar ID

John Strenski

Hello Group:

We found this wood boxcar today:

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576460

Any help ID'ing it's possible former owner would be appreciated.

Also found this one a little far from home:

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576468

Holes in the roofs is to get some air into the cars, otherwise, the farmer would probably fall over with heat stroke upon entry.

Thanks very much for the help.

John
WF TX

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:48 PM, John Strenski wrote:

We found this wood boxcar today:

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576460

Any help ID'ing it's possible former owner would be appreciated.

CB&Q X25 class, nos. 15000-16999. Or, more likely in view of the
location, FW&D 7200-7700, which were cars of the same design. Check
the ends; they should be 7-8 corrugated.

Richard Hendrickson

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Strenski" <kjstrenski@...> wrote:

Hello Group:

We found this wood boxcar today:

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576460

Any help ID'ing it's possible former owner would be appreciated.

Also found this one a little far from home:

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576468

Holes in the roofs is to get some air into the cars, otherwise, the farmer would probably fall over with heat stroke upon entry.

Thanks very much for the help.

John
WF TX
The first one is a Burlington car. Look very carefully in the middle of the left most panel, and you can just barely see the CB&Q just above the grab iron.

I bet it does not have a complete underframe. There used to be a lot of these cars in my neck of the woods, northern Illinois; I believe they were sold out of the shop that was in Aurora. All had been prepared in the same fashion; the entire center sill, cross bearers, and bolsters were cut out of the car, usually by torch cutting the end around the striker casting, and then the existing floor was supported by wedging used bridge timbers into the channel side sills. This allowed the "Q" to reclaim most of the scrap value in the car, while making the "shed" lighter for the farmer to haul away. Unfortunately, it makes the bodies worthless for preservation.

Dennis

michael bishop <goldrod_1@...>

The car looks like a CB&Q car. I am from Mercer County, IL and the CB&Q had a branch line though it and many of the famers had old box cars like this one near the barns or on the edge of the fields.

MIchael Bishop

Any help ID'ing it's possible former owner would be appreciated.

Also found this one a little far from home:

http://soo2408. rrpicturearchive s.net/showPictur e.aspx?id= 1576468

Holes in the roofs is to get some air into the cars, otherwise, the farmer would probably fall over with heat stroke upon entry.

Thanks very much for the help.

John
WF TX

Rob & Bev Manley

I see a " &Q " on the far left panel.

Rob Manley

On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:48 PM, John Strenski wrote:

We found this wood boxcar today:

> http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1576460
>
> Any help ID'ing it's possible former owner would be appreciated.

CB&Q X25 class, nos. 15000-16999. Or, more likely in view of the
location, FW&D 7200-7700, which were cars of the same design. Check
the ends; they should be 7-8 corrugated.

Richard Hendrickson

John Strenski

Hello Group:

Thanks to everyone for the input. It is appreciated.

We counted no less than 10 of these cars within twenty miles of each other. They are all more or less in the same shape.

Thanks again.

John
WF TX

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Rob & Bev Manley" <robev1630@...> wrote: