Monon gondola

Stephen Bishop

Hello group:

In the September, 2004 Mainline Modeler, Mont Switzer explained how he modified an Intermountain HO composite gondola to more closely resemble Monon 33171.  He used elongated spiral ends cast by Chad Boas (Car Shops) and decals from Model Railroad Supply.

I would like to replicate his work but "googling" hasn't located Car Shops and Model Railroad Supply doesn't seem to have these decals on their list.

Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks.

Steve Bishop

Jim Ogden

--- In STMFC@..., Stephen Bishop <superlab2003@...> wrote:

I would like to replicate his work but "googling" hasn't located Car Shops and Model Railroad Supply doesn't seem to have these decals on their list.
Hi Steve;

I think Chad Boas is not longer doing resin kits (which is a shame for me as well since I would have liked to have a couple of the bizarre IC "shortened height" hoppers he offered).

Jim Ogden
Fort Worth, Texas

Michael Aufderheide

True about Chad, but Mont still has the decals in HO and N.  Set 300 1940's Era Freight Lettering.  See:

http://www.greatdecals.com/Switzer.htm

The spiral end is more interesting, but note that the Monon also had two series that had USRA ends, car #s 30000-30299 & 31000-31299.

Mike Aufderheide