From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim
O'Connor
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 11:59 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com; bbfcl@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Intermountain bulkhead flat cars

http://irailway.qwestoffice.net/flyer216w.jpg
<http://irailway.qwestoffice.net/flyer216w.jpg>

Are any of the announced bulkhead flats (B&O/NYC/EL) accurate?
They are modified 53'6" AAR 70 ton flat cars.

I have to give Intermountain credit -- they're going to do a
modified 70 ton flat even before the standard flat is released.
Red Caboose promised to do bulkhead and TOFC versions of the SP
F-70-7 flat car years ago and we're still waiting...

Tim O'Connor

I think Jim Mischke mentioned that he supplied the drawings to IM for the B&O
car's bulkheads. I will be checking all my Color Guides for photos of the
real thing, to see if there are others it might be good for.

Elden Gatwood

Are any of the announced bulkhead flats (B&O/NYC/EL) accurate?
They are modified 53'6" AAR 70 ton flat cars.

Tim O'Connor

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Really?

Bottom line; As long as it's accurate...

Elden Gatwood

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Red Caboose promised to do bulkhead and TOFC versions of the SP F-70-7 flat car years ago and we're still waiting...
Ah, but Tim, did they say WHEN? and how did you conclude it was a "promise"? I understood it to be a "goal."

Publishers of books on railroad history

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Intermountain was working from provided B&O drawings and photographs. I met with their toolmaker twice in person to iron out details. So I have some confidence they will be accurate for B&O.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee

http://irailway.qwestoffice.net/flyer216w.jpg

Are any of the announced bulkhead flats (B&O/NYC/EL) accurate?
They are modified 53'6" AAR 70 ton flat cars.

Tim O'Connor

spsalso

In comparing the itty bitty pictures on the website with photos of the B&O and NYC cars, it looks to me that the drawing is closer to an NYC car. I'm basing this on the size of the triangular void visible in the bulkhead bracing and the flat steel reinforcing that defines the bottom of that triangle. It'd sure be nice to see something a little more concrete. Or styrene, in this case.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

bnpmodeler

Tim and list;

This is interesting news that I had not heard yet. According to the EL
Freight/Passenger Color Guide, the Erie first converted two of its
Greenville Car Co.-built 8050-8099 series flats in October 1956 (required
STMFC date range :) to bulkhead cars for sheetrock hauling; the EL followed
up with two more in September 1961, making the four car series numbers
7000-7003.

The IM art shows the bulkheads to be supported by some sort of open
structure; the photo in the color guide depicts what appears to be closed
framework or supports of some sort... It will be interesting to see the
exact details of the model bulkhead...

Thanks for the heads up on this model!

Jim Harr
Stella Scale Models
www.stellascalemodels.com

Posted by: "Tim O'Connor" timboconnor@comcast.net cf5250
Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 am (PDT)

http://irailway.qwestoffice.net/flyer216w.jpg

Are any of the announced bulkhead flats (B&O/NYC/EL) accurate?
They are modified 53'6" AAR 70 ton flat cars.

Tim O'Connor

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

<snip> . . . the SP F-70-7 flat car years ago and we're still waiting...

Tim O'Connor
Now that you mention the SP F-70-7 flat car I realize I couldn't find it on either the Red Caboose or Intermountain site. Is it available? Does anyone know if it will be available again?

Gene Green

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Green" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:
<snip> . . . the SP F-70-7 flat car years ago and we're still waiting...

Tim O'Connor
Now that you mention the SP F-70-7 flat car I realize I couldn't find it on either the Red Caboose or Intermountain site. Is it available? Does anyone know if it will be available again?

Gene Green
Less than 15 minutes after I wrote the above paragraph the FedEx truck delivered, among other cars, one of Red Caboose's RTR SP F-70-7 flat cars with wood deck.

The box end says, "1956 re-numbering." Did Red Caboose do these flats with the original numbering?

Gene Green

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Gene yes, they did both number series.
Brian Carlson

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:37:08 -0000, Gene Green wrote

The box end says, "1956 re-numbering." Did Red Caboose do these
flats with the original numbering?

Gene Green

leakinmywaders

Hey Jim, can you share which B&O number series these bulkhead flats were? Thnx,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:

Intermountain was working from provided B&O drawings and photographs. I met with their toolmaker twice in person to iron out details. So I have some confidence they will be accurate for B&O.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

I patterned them after class P-25d, 8800-8882. There were several additional identical series.