Lehigh Gas tank cars - Norwich Connecticut

Marty McGuirk

As luck would have it one of the towns on my Central Vermont layout is Norwich, Connecticut - known for many things but among Steam Era freight car fans and modelers it's most likely best known as the location of a Lehigh Gas facility - see

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/tank/acf/lgx500main.html

While I'm interested modeling the cars I'm also trying to track down some information on the facility itself, and I'm curious if any portion of the facility in Norwich shows up in the background (or anywhere) in pictures of the tank cars themselves.

Oh, and I welcome any suggestions on the best way to model these particular cars.

Thanks,

Marty

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Marty,

Have you checked the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps? They should include detailed ground plans of this facility. Your public library can probably get what you need on microfilm. Also try the Norwich historical society or the nearest university library. Some libraries can access the maps online (where I work we have only Virginia).

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

cvsne wrote:

As luck would have it one of the towns on my Central Vermont layout is Norwich, Connecticut - known for many things but among Steam Era freight car fans and modelers it's most likely best known as the location of a Lehigh Gas facility - see
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/tank/acf/lgx500main.html

While I'm interested modeling the cars I'm also trying to track down some information on the facility itself, and I'm curious if any portion of the facility in Norwich shows up in the background (or anywhere) in pictures of the tank cars themselves.
Oh, and I welcome any suggestions on the best way to model these particular cars.
Thanks,
Marty

Marty McGuirk

Garth,

I've checked the Sanborns and although they show the footprint of the various buildings they don't tell me what they looked like.

I checked with the Norwich Historical Society - nothing much on Lehigh Gas, although they had some info on the Standard Oil dealer next door. Most Connecticut small town historical societies I've dealt with over the years seem to think the town's history stopped in 1820!

There's been an Arcadia book published on Norwich that may be useful, but it's out of print at Arcadia. The folks at the Historical Society didn't know about the book, which struck me as rather odd.

Thanks for the tips!

Marty