On-line article: IC “Mainline of Mid-America” 2-bay offset hoppers

thbguy <livingston@...>

Hello all,

While I have been a long-time lurker on this group and have really enjoyed the modeling efforts and information shared by many of you, I have never posted here before. Most modellers on this Yahoo group are HO-scale, but some really good work can be done in N-scale as well. I thought that it would be good to share it.

I have finally completed my N-scale Illinois Central "Mainline of Mid-America" hopper decal set and GHQ has agreed to post my article and sell the decals. This set decorates six, distinct IC hopper cars with high-resolution white decals that I printed using an ALPS printer. I had been planning to release these for over three years, but didn't really have a good venue to get them out to the public.

It would also be helpful to get an idea of whether or not these decals would be a hit in HO-scale.

While I could have submitted thsi article to a magazine, I really like what Gregg Scott is doing with these on-line articles, and am planning to write several, highly-detailed and researched articles on various railroad modeling subjects. My RR model building is good, but not yet up to Gregg's level, however I am getting better with every project that I do. Hopefully you will appreciate the detail and background information about company coal delivery into Canada and particularly, the detailed information about the IC coal service hopper fleet. I would appreciate any feedback, incremental information, corrections, or revisions.

To go on the N-scale forum go to the GHQ Web site (www.ghqmodels.com) and select Forums from the list or try this link:

<http://www.ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3290>

Check it out.

Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario RRs including CNR, TH&B, CPR, NYC, Wabash, C&O, N&W, PC, Via, GO transit, Conrail, Pere Marquette, etc... just not all at the same time!

I am not affiliated with GHQ, but I am a friend of Gregg Scott's and am now a contributor to this online article series. Now I hope to be a regular contributor!

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "thbguy" <livingston@...> wrote:

I have finally completed my N-scale Illinois Central "Mainline of Mid-America" hopper decal set and GHQ has agreed to post my article and sell the decals. This set decorates six, distinct IC hopper cars with high-resolution white decals that I printed using an ALPS printer. I had been planning to release these for over three years, but didn't really have a good venue to get them out to the public.

It would also be helpful to get an idea of whether or not these decals would be a hit in HO-scale.
The cars look very nice, and I for one think the decals would be well received in HO scale. The article is well done. What is it about Canadian modelers? Is everyone up north a prototype modeler? <G>. GHQ does nice work, I remember a friend of mine had some of their 1/285 tanks. Phenomenal detail!

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

thbguy <livingston@...>

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the compliment about the article. I am from Canada, but live in Minnesota now. Proof that you can't take the Canada out of the Canadian though, Eh!

I think that the IC decals would sell well in HO-scale too, but I haven't sold a single decal set in N-scale yet. What is up with that? :-(

Oh well. My next decal project is done except for some grouping and renumbering (and I have to decal the car yet!. It is a TH&B gondola decal set that I reproduced faithfully panel by panel to photos that Lance Brown and I took a few years ago. These will be modern era (1960s-present) and I'll probably do them in HO and N-scale. I saw quite a few of these cars in the 1990s at Northstar Steel in Saint Paul, MN mixed with CP gondolas.

Best regards,
Michael

--- In STMFC@..., "gn3397" <heninger@...> wrote:

The cars look very nice, and I for one think the decals would be well received in HO scale. The article is well done. What is it about Canadian modelers? Is everyone up north a prototype modeler? <G>. GHQ does nice work, I remember a friend of mine had some of their 1/285 tanks. Phenomenal detail!

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Most Canadian modellers are, as I assume that many American modellers are as well, satisfied with the commercial RTR offerings. But there are a few of us that desire to model the prototype more accurately. Stephen Parachuk is involved with the Toronto branch of RPM, for example.

And any serious Canadian STMFC modeller needs to understand the US fleet and model it with the same degree of fidelity. American STMFC's came into Canada hauling everything from loco and furnace coal to automobile frames. 80% of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border.

Steve Lucas.

[...]

Armand Premo

Steve,On the area of the railroad that I model,there were more CN box cars than that of the Pennsy, second only to the NYC.The Pennsy also came in second to the B&O with hoppers.Like other enterprises,location ,location ,location as the key to car selection................................IMHO.Armand Premo