Topics

Surplus wheel sets

Fred Freitas <prrinvt@...>

List,

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of items.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT

bill_d_goat

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Freitas" <prrinvt@...> wrote:

List,

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of items.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT
Keep in mind that real wheel sets did not have pointed axle ends like our models. Thus a gon load or engine facility scene will not look prototypical.
Bill Williams

seaboard_1966

What do you say...no pointed axles? How in the heck did they roll then? Inquiring minds have to know.

Denis Blake
North Hamlet Shops, OH

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of items.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT
Keep in mind that real wheel sets did not have pointed axle ends like our models. Thus a gon load or engine facility scene will not look prototypical.
Bill Williams

al_brown03

In HO scale, Tichy wheel sets (part #3004 or #3010) are meant as loads or scenery. At the risk of coining a bad term, their axle ends are "blunt" rather than pointed.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "bill_d_goat" <billdgoat@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Freitas" <prrinvt@> wrote:

List,

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of items.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT
Keep in mind that real wheel sets did not have pointed axle ends like our models. Thus a gon load or engine facility scene will not look prototypical.
Bill Williams

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

In HO scale, Tichy wheel sets (part #3004 or #3010) are meant as loads or scenery.
I thought of those too, Al, but the current Tichy parts list doesn't show them:

http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_category.php&category=Freight+Car+Parts&offset=0

However, the flatcar kit with wheel load is still listed:
http://tichytraingroup.com/images/parts/4023_1_b.gif
http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=275&category=Freight+Car+Kits

Walt Lankenau

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Guyz,

          The gentleman asked for the wheels sets to remove the wheels and toss the axles
He is finishing a project and needed a few dozen more individual wheels.

Fred Freitas

________________________________

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal
axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the
requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please
contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of
items.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT
Keep in mind that real wheel sets did not have pointed axle ends like our
models. Thus a gon load or engine facility scene will not look
prototypical.
Bill Williams

05:53:00

cshope@...

Look under Trackside List

Charles D. Shope

_____

http://tichytraingr <http://tichytraingroup.com/images/parts/4023_1_b.gif>
oup.com/images/parts/4023_1_b.gif
http://tichytraingr
<http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=275&category=
Freight+Car+Kits>
oup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=275&category=Freight+Car+Kits

Walt Lankenau

Stokes John

Fred, not what you asked the first time, hence the comments about pointy axles. With this new information should be a piece of cake and the gentleman will have his wheel sets. The reference to Tichy should be a good bet for accurate looking wheels for this project.

For Dennis, check out some pictures or drawings of real axles, the ends ride in bearings that that fit around the end of the axle just as with an automobile, and the bearing surface is parallel. Like a stick in a doughnut. Pointed ends would not sustain the weight of the car. They are cheaper to make for models and do the job reasonably well given the light weight involved.

John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com

A fellow listr asked for surplus wheel sets in plastic on metal
axles to finish a gond load of wheels. I must humbly admit to loosing the
requesters address "somewhere" in the paper pile on my desk. Please
contact me off list as I will be happy to ship the now packed box of
items.
Fred Freitas
Bennington, VT
Keep in mind that real wheel sets did not have pointed axle ends like our
models. Thus a gon load or engine facility scene will not look
prototypical.
Bill Williams

05:53:00

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Denis F. Blake" <dblake7@...> wrote:

What do you say...no pointed axles? How in the heck did they roll then?
Inquiring minds have to know.

Denis Blake
North Hamlet Shops, OH
The bearings ride on a film of oil picked up from the underside of the axle riding on an oil soaked pad in the bottom of the journal box. That's why starting friction is so much higher than rolling friction with conventional bearings; it takes a couple axle revolutions for the film to completely form and the bearing to begin hydroplaning upon it.

Denis, Did you get my e-mail from last week?

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

It would be better to get the Tichy wheels. Code 110 wheels for scenery just look bad. Tichy has 8 sets (16 wheels) for a $1.50 or 96 sets (192 wheels) for $9.50. As they come separate you can have piles of wheels and axles.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor

Not to mention the axles are properly shaped, and have correct
journal ends. Tichy wheels are definitely the best for scenery.
Cheap too.

It would be better to get the Tichy wheels. Code 110 wheels for scenery
just look bad. Tichy has 8 sets (16 wheels) for a $1.50 or 96 sets (192
wheels) for $9.50. As they come separate you can have piles of wheels and
axles.

Jon Miller

Tim O'Connor

surely, thy jests.

What do you say...no pointed axles? How in the heck did they roll then?
Inquiring minds have to know.
Denis Blake
North Hamlet Shops, OH

seaboard_1966

Come on Tim...you know I am messing around here. Remember I an a locomotive engineer for NS....I do know how these things work.

Denis Blake
NHS, Ohio

What do you say...no pointed axles? How in the heck did they roll then?
Inquiring minds have to know.
Denis Blake
North Hamlet Shops, OH

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Tichy does list them:

Part Number: 3010
Price: $9.50
Scale: HO
THESE ARE NON-OPERATING WHEELSETS INTENDED FOR USE IN FREIGHT CAR LOADS AND AROUND YARDS AND REPAIR SHOPS. THEY REPRESENT 33" CAST IRON WHEELS AND ARE INJECTION MOLDED IN RUST COLORED STYRENE. THEY HAVE FULL BACK SIDE RIBS, LETTERING, AND BEARING JOURNALS.
96 WHEELSETS

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@> wrote:

In HO scale, Tichy wheel sets (part #3004 or #3010) are meant as loads or scenery.
I thought of those too, Al, but the current Tichy parts list doesn't show them:

http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_category.php&category=Freight+Car+Parts&offset=0

However, the flatcar kit with wheel load is still listed:
http://tichytraingroup.com/images/parts/4023_1_b.gif
http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=275&category=Freight+Car+Kits

Walt Lankenau

al_brown03

Looked on their website this morning, to get the part numbers ... the wheel sets aren't listed under "freight car parts" but under "details". Not sure why: 'cuz they're non-operating, maybe?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:

[...]

John,

         I thank thee for clearing it up, finally!

Fred Freitas

From: prrinvt@yahoo. com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:35:45 -0700