Hal Carstens this morning

dh30973

Here is the offical Obituary

http://obit.smithmccrackenfuneralhome.com/obit-683315

Dave Hussey
Cannon and Company

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Del Vecchio wrote:
Hal Carstens peacefully died this morning at his home near Newton, New Jersey. He had been in good health, happy, and spry enough to have been a dinner speaker at a recent NMRA gathering in Texas. I was proud to know him.
He did a lot for the hobby, and a short list of accomplishments includes . . .
Thanks for letting us know, Mike, and I'd endorse your comments. His column in recent years did suggest he was living in the distant past, as far as modeling was concerned, but he had good priorities back in the day, which is why many prototype-oriented modelers preferred his magazine to our hobby's "Big Blue." And he had the good judgement to hire Tony Koester and Bill Schaumburg. Personally, he was a very nice man, as long as you didn't catch him in "grumpy mode." He's another giant gone.

Publishers of books on railroad history

MDelvec952

Hal Carstens peacefully died this morning at his home near Newton, New Jersey. He had been in good health, happy, and spry enough to have been a dinner speaker at a recent NMRA gathering in Texas. I was proud to know him.

He did a lot for the hobby, and a short list of accomplishments includes (from the NMRA):

"Carstens, Harold H. NJ President Carstens Pubications, Inc., Publisher Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad. Holds NMRA Distinguished Service Award 1962, Past President Hobby Industry Association 1971-1972, Model Railroad Industry Association 1977-1978, Train Collectors Association 1964-1965. NMRA Life Member. Member NMRA Museum Committee. Editor, Author, HO, train collector. Secretary, Eastern MRR Manufacturers 1956-1962. HIAA Meritorious Award of Honor 1979. HIAA MRR Division Big Wheel Award 1987. NMRA Model RR Man of the Year Award 1989. MRIA HALL OF FAME 1996. Listed in Who's Who in America. Train collection has been displayed in Williamsburg; Trenton State Museum, and National Geographic Hall, Washington.? Arrangments are currently being made."

It was a good run, Hal.

Mike Del Vecchio
former-Carstens employee