Caboose Markers

Jim Betz

What are -you- doing for lit markers on your cabeese?

I have a system that I like ... but it takes a long time to do
just one caboose. What I've been doing is drilling out the brass
castings and installing #603 LEDs - and using a phosphor bronze
"H" shaped axle wiper on each truck picking up one rail on each
truck. And using my flicker free circuit between the rail and
the LEDs.

I'm going to start a new project and will be doing markers on
-dozens- of cabooses. So I'm looking for input on the following:

1) Any body know of a marker casting in plastic? I searched
Walthers and did not find one. Even finding brass ones is
a problem because the primary supplier is Precision Scale.
If they were made in plastic then drilling them out would
be a lot easier.

2) What system do you use/recommend for picking up track
power? Do you recommend a different system for brass
cabeese -vs- plastic? I have to do some of both.

3) One of the RRs I'm working - the WM - had markers that
were mounted on the corners of the caboose rather than
on the side - this requires that the mounting post be
'between' the lenses rather than perpendicular with one
face/lens. I found a marker like this named "A&W, old
style" (or some such similar identifier). These are
shown as "out of stock, arrival unknown". Anybody know
of a hobby shop that is likely to have any of these in
stock?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.
- Jim

Schuyler Larrabee

What are -you- doing for lit markers on your cabeese?

I have a system that I like ... but it takes a long time to do
just one caboose. What I've been doing is drilling out the brass
castings and installing #603 LEDs - and using a phosphor bronze
"H" shaped axle wiper on each truck picking up one rail on each
truck. And using my flicker free circuit between the rail and
the LEDs.
It's been a while since I've done a caboose, but I used a rechargeable battery circuit done by
******** which was published in RMC quite a while ago - probably 25 years. It's simple, involves
four or five diodes which I soldered directly to the battery (SOLDER TABS on the battery as
delivered - I wouldn't solder directly to a NiCad or NiMH battery) and an automotive light as a
power sink. It works well (still!) and the lights will stay on for a couple hours after the caboose
is off the track. It's a tad fussy, but not too bad. Power comes from the trucks via a lead
soldered to the truck bolster, no wipers. The recharging battery supplies a constant voltage when
the current path from the track to the battery is intermittent for whatever reason.

I'm going to start a new project and will be doing markers on
-dozens- of cabooses. So I'm looking for input on the following:

1) Any body know of a marker casting in plastic? I searched
Walthers and did not find one. Even finding brass ones is
a problem because the primary supplier is Precision Scale.
If they were made in plastic then drilling them out would
be a lot easier.
If you are getting them from PS, then they have them in plastic. PS does their casting work via the
"lost plastic" process. I've obtained a few castings from them in the plastic version that they
don't catalog as plastic parts. Call them. The plastic itself may be slightly different than
normal styrene, but basically similar.

2) What system do you use/recommend for picking up track
power? Do you recommend a different system for brass
cabeese -vs- plastic? I have to do some of both.
All mine have been brass, No opinion.

SGL

3) One of the RRs I'm working - the WM - had markers that
were mounted on the corners of the caboose rather than
on the side - this requires that the mounting post be
'between' the lenses rather than perpendicular with one
face/lens. I found a marker like this named "A&W, old
style" (or some such similar identifier). These are
shown as "out of stock, arrival unknown". Anybody know
of a hobby shop that is likely to have any of these in
stock?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.
- Jim Betz

Database version: 6.12670
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.12670

Schuyler Larrabee

Note: ******** = Don Fiehmann with Howard McKinney. RMC April 1980, page 52. 29 years.

<http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/> >

Database version: 6.12670
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.12670
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.12670

Claude Quesnelle

Jim,

I was thinking about doing exactly what you are doing. Instead of the 0603, I was going to use the smaller (yes, smaller) Ngineering Nano LEDs. As for the pickups, I was going to figure out an all-wheel pickup scheme for better results from the installed decoders (and I can install interior lighting too). For markers, I was going to use the ones from True Line Trains. They are plastic, they come already decorated, but the colourless lenses you'll drill out anywas, the mounting post comes out of the corner so that all four faces of the lamp have a lens. They are based on a CN prototype, I'll leave it up to you to decide if they are applicable to you. They look identical to those that come with the Rapido coaches, maybe they are sharing the castings. You can get them in packs of 12 (SKU#125922 Part#TLT900908 12-PACK END MARKER LIGHTS, DECORATED $11.27). These things were made for the TLT CN caboose, and they mount on the end, but stick out at an angle almost like they were mounted on the corner. Maybe right for your WM units.

HTH

Claude Quesnelle

[...]

Norman+Laraine Larkin <lono@...>

Hi, Jim. Tomar Industries lists two different color lens sets: Adlake Marker Lamps (brass with 1.5V lamps installed); either PN 807 (G-G-R) or PN 809 (Y-Y-R). They are flush mounted to the car side, and they look good. I have a pair on a CP caboose.They can be seen on Tomar's web site.
Regards,
Norm Larkin

[...]

brionboyles

I use Tomars' Adlake lamps/markers, with onboard battery power...two 1.5 volt batteries in parallel. I have several cabooses that I use when our group (Prince William Model RR Club...see: www.pwmrc.org. ) does modular shows. Sometimes my caboose is lit for 8 hrs a day and still the batteries last for many, many shows, as the drain in parallel is so little. I usually don't care what color lens I get, as I can use stained glass hobby paint to make my own lens color.
I make a mount on the floor of the caboose using two strips of brass , one bent in an "L" shape for the negative end(s) and the other in a "N" shape to give "spring" on the positive end(s) and hold the batteries down, and a simple slide switch mounted on the floor in the approx. position of the toilet or stove. The slide switch button is drilled to take a pin or small pipe, which is run up from the floor/underframe or down from the stove pipe exhaust, used to pull/push the slide switch. The pin/pipe represents the toilet drain, stove pipe smokejack ("Charley Noble" for us Navy vets) or steam condensate drain/vent on a passenger car. I have also made a kind of "drum" switch and mounted it to the brake wheel of a car using an end-of-train device...you just turn the brake wheel to activate...

Brion

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

Has anyone tried the Utah Pacific 755-64 caboose markers that are pre-wired
with lights? The lenses are already in place and they come in either
red/green or red/yellow.

Here is the link to the Walthers product page:

http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/755-64

Allen Cain

Norman+Laraine Larkin <lono@...>

I believe these are one in the same as the Tomar lights. Utah Pacific was bought some time ago by Tomar.
Regards,
Norm Larkin