Color of the PRR X31 Boxcar at Cajon Pass

rwitt_2000

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these reproductions.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

Bruce Smith

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these reproductions.

Bob Witt
Bob,

PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to represent anything like the original color.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

rwitt_2000

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar
also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these
reproductions.

Bob Witt
Bruce Smith replied:

Bob,

PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car
shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more
red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone
scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the
body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also
darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks
like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately
captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to
represent anything like the original color.

Bruce,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a nicely weathered X31A. This is
the color and appearance of PRR boxcars I remember from my days spent in
freight yards in the 1960's. I don't recall observing a PRR boxcar in
the ball/circle keystone P&L scheme.

Regards,

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

Tim O'Connor

Bob

PRR went to a darker color, more like Conrail alkyd brown,
when it adopted the shadow keystone scheme. I seem to recall
many emails to this effect.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also
darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to represent anything like the original color.
Extremely sensible and complete answer. Thanks, Bruce.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jim Lancaster

[...]

I went to Cajon Pass that day in 1964 to photograph passenger trains. I'm glad the freight cars are of interest as well.

Jim Lancaster

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I find just as instructive the colour shift on the GTW auto boxcar in the third photo, which would have likely been painted within the same time frame as the "shadow keystone" PRR car--circa 1956. The GTW used CN Red #11, and the colour shift from that standard CN system colour is quite marked in the photo.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar
also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these
reproductions.

Bob Witt
Bob,

PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car
shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more
red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone
scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the
body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also
darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks
like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately
captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to
represent anything like the original color.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

SUVCWORR@...

Bob,

You are correct.? It is a late '60's nearly brown paint color.? The PRR freight car color shifted dramatically towards brown after the adoption of synthetic pigments and continued to move towards brown until the end.

Rich Orr

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these reproductions.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

Greg Martin

Steve and all,

I found the photos to be a bit shifted as well and lacking a bit of saturation, perhaps it is a result of the age of the photos. I did a bit of color correction and the photos look far better. This allowed the color of the PRR boxcar to loose it brownish hue and come back around to what I would consider far closer to thePRR freight car color I have found. Though the colors of PRR boxcars did change over time there is good photo evidence that the initial color (see the Prophet's Penny book just released byt he PRRT&HS yes a shameless plug) of a new or newly repianted cars in the 50s, particularly during the introduction of the "Shadow Keystone/ Billboard lettering" paint scheme was a red oxide color but did naturally weather toward the deeper red-brownish color as is evidence in this photo, but the deeper red-brown color didn't appear on new or newly repainted until after the coverage of this list.

Greg Martin

I find just as instructive the colour shift on the GTW auto boxcar in the third photo, which would have likely been painted within the same time frame as the "shadow keystone" PRR car--circa 1956. The GTW used CN Red #11, and the colour shift from that standard CN system colour is quite marked in the photo.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar
also
captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>

It is less like the bright oxide red that some freight car people
describe. The colors do not appear to be shifted in these
reproductions.

Bob Witt
Bob,

PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car
shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more
red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone
scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the
body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also
darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks
like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately
captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to
represent anything like the original color.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
I found the photos to be a bit shifted as well . . . I did a bit of color correction and the photos look far better. This allowed the color of the PRR boxcar to loose it brownish hue and come back around to what I would consider far closer to thePRR freight car color I have found.
This is going into my list of favorite quotes (vbg>: "I color- corrected the photos until they had the color I wanted."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

Actually below?is what?I wrote and it didn't include anything thing that said:

"I color-corrected the photos until I got the color I wanted"

I have shot hundreds of photographs in the Cajon Pass area within years of this photo,?and I will again say that the color appears to be shifted and or less saturated than it should be, are you saying that slide and negative don't do this? Are you saying you know more about the subject matter? I guess you have to have a knowledge of the subject to make this judgement. I will not place the blame as to why the photo is not true to color, perhaps it was just time... Likely there are other factors.?Seems that others feel the same. I didn't adjust the color to get the color?I wanted, just what I believe is a?better representation?of the?subject overall, all the colors appeared to come around. Are you saying we shouldn't do this? If we are going to place a value judgement to the color?of a particular subject within the photo shouldn't someone question the color of the overall photo first??Come on Tony...??

Greg Martin

"Steve and all,

I found the photos to be a bit shifted as well and lacking a bit of saturation, perhaps it is a result of the age of the photos. I did a bit of color correction and the photos look far better. This allowed the color of the PRR boxcar to loose it brownish hue and come back around to what I would consider far closer to the PRR freight car color I have found. Though the colors of PRR boxcars did change over time there is good photo evidence that the initial color (see the Prophet's Pennsy book just released by the PRRT&HS yes a shameless plug) of a new or newly repainted cars in the 50s, particularly during the introduction of the "Shadow Keystone/ Billboard lettering" paint scheme was a red oxide color but did naturally weather toward the deeper red-brownish color as is evidence in this photo, but the deeper red-brown color didn't appear on new or newly repainted until after the coverage of this list. "

If your going to add something to you list of all time favorite quotes you should qualify your quotes.

Greg Martin

Greg Martin wrote:
I didn't adjust the color to get the color?I wanted, just what I believe is a?better representation?of the?subject overall, all the colors appeared to come around. Are you saying we shouldn't do this? If we are going to place a value judgement to the color?of a particular subject within the photo shouldn't someone question the color of the overall photo first??Come on Tony...??
Gosh, a little defensive, Greg? Sure, you BELIEVED you knew the "right" color, regardless of the state of the color image, and corrected it to MATCH that BELIEF. Come on, Greg, this is what is known as a circular argument.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I have a piece of floorboard from an X31A given to me by Bruce Smith from a
donor, that has FCC paint on it, unfaded by sunlight or surface abrasion,
from one of the X31A I believe was rebuilt duing their big rebuilding
campaign c.1959-60. The color is noticeably redder than that of the X31A in
the color photo in question.

If one also looks at the excellent photos of X31A in the Color Guides, one
can also see the numerous and obvious color variations between the super shot
of a recently repainted X31A in Circle Key paint c. 1949, versus those
photographed later in the late 50's and 1960's, which are clearly browner,
but not as brown as that in the photo you've been discussing. While all would
agree that color photos may exhibit considerable color shift from that of the
real thing, I also agree with those that believe this shot to be shifted
toward brown, rather than red.

My photos of the real thing also differed when I was shooting Kodachrome,
which shifted toward red, versus Ektachrome, which shifted toward blue,
versus Agfachrome, which was quite colorless when compared to either. These
choices also had a dramatic effect on the outcome.

BTW, I have been unable to find ANY out-of-the-bottle paint that matches the
color of paint on the floorboard, which has hints of purple and/or maroon,
and is quite unlike chips of earlier FCC I have seen (one of which is in the
PRRT&HS archives). The latter, admittedly to my eyes only, I think closely
resembles out-of-the-bottle Modelflex Light Tuscan Oxide Red.

Elden Gatwood

I found the photos to be a bit shifted as well . . . I did a bit of
color correction and the photos look far better. This allowed the
color of the PRR boxcar to loose it brownish hue and come back around
to what I would consider far closer to thePRR freight car color I have
found.
This is going into my list of favorite quotes (vbg>: "I color- corrected the
photos until they had the color I wanted."

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

We tend to forget the effects of air pollution, especially in
industrial areas, in the years before the present. In just a few
years the original paint could be seriously stained and damaged
by standing for days at a time in a filthy industrial area with
various airborne particles and acids raining down constantly. I
have seen 1940's photos of cars less than 10 years old that look
like the cars were dipped in an acid bath... Growing up in NJ I
had first hand experience with the corrosive power of the air on
automobile finishes -- and those were baked enamel coatings!

Tim O'Connor

At 6/27/2009 12:56 PM Saturday, you wrote:
I find just as instructive the colour shift on the GTW auto boxcar in the third photo, which would have likely been painted within the same time frame as the "shadow keystone" PRR car--circa 1956. The GTW used CN Red #11, and the colour shift from that standard CN system colour is quite marked in the photo.
Steve Lucas.

Tim O'Connor

What do you all think of Scalecoat #81, PRR Freight Car Red?
I think this looks more like the later 1950's color. I think
I have used the Modelflex LTOR as well and seem to recall it
is similar. But of course red vary all over the map -- and I
use Maroon in small amounts sometimes to shift the color.

Tim O'Connr

"Gatwood, Elden wrote:

[...]

After the many comments on my post, I re-examined the photo with the
X31A again and unless the soil is that "pink" at Cajon Pass I agree that
this image has color shifted. Which way I am not sure.

I understand there are some "standard" color correction algorithms to
correct for the "aging" of slides, but as Elden Gatwood has noted each
slide emulsion had its coloration when new so color emulsions never
captured the "true" colors. Comparing paint samples in the same light
maybe one can hope to achieve a correct match.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bob Witt wrote:
captured the "true" colors. Comparing paint samples in the same light maybe one can hope to achieve a correct match.
in my opinion, Bob, this is a fantasy. The identical car photographed at morning, noon and late afternoon will look distinctly different; likewise cloudy vs. clear days; low vs. high sun angle at different seasons, same time of day. This is not to mention varying dirt and fading and corrosive attack. I'd say there is NO SUCH THING as a "correct match."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim;

I agree; it looks more like the late 50's version of FCC. LTOR is redder and
lighter, but again, just to my eyes. Given I currently have few cars that I
have modeled right out of the shops, I am wrestling with what to usde for
cars painted around that cut-off date of 1960. I especially need a paint mix
for the color that cars came out of Sam Rea shops, particularly G41 and X58
classes. It was a very unique color, and gives me fits trying to figure out
how to match. Any suggestions?

Elden Gatwood

[...]

I can't say since I never saw those cars freshly painted... I once
painted an SP 50' combo door box car model (built 1960) with Accupaint
Alkyd Brown because it was a good match to a photo of a new T&NO box
car on the cover of Trains Illustrated. It clashes with almost all of
my other SP freight cars, and yet since that time I have seen several
more photos that show SP cars with that color. I think Tony is right -
so much depends on ambient light, film, paint, fading, corrosion, etc,
that we can use almost anything. Just don't paint everything the same!

Tim O'Connor

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

All

Given the fair number of recent comments on STMFC regarding the PRR freight car in Jim Lancaster's image at:
http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_pass_6-64_05_jl_ps.jpg (from his web page: http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html ),

I have, with Jim's permission, attempted to upload a photo-montage showing the effects of color balance variation (using Adobe Photoshop) on his original image.

It demonstrates that an entire range of colors can be derived from the same original... and we've all seen photos, models and even prototypes, across the entire color range from warm (magenta/red) to cool (green/blue).

In short, there is no "Correct" in color correction... only perception and preference, given the intrinsic variability of the subject's paint batch, age, condition, lighting, etc... and the ensuing imaging process, compression, and viewing environment.

Richard
Richard Brennan - San Leandro
MP 17.8 on the SP Mulford Line
mailto:brennan8@...