Grand Trunk 16205

James McDonald

Hello all,

A friend is trying to date a photo from a picture postcard. He suspects the photo on it dates from the early 1900's but there is no date, photographer's mark, or other identifying information on the reverse of the postcard. However, on the card in one area can be seen the A end of a freight car (box or stock is unclear) lettered "GRAND TRUNK 16205".

He cropped and enlarged that section of the photo and with his permission I've uploaded it to the group files (presently waiting on moderator approval) in the album "Grand Trunk 16205". I'm hoping you can help me identify the car.

The end seems to be quite similar to Fowler cars. Judging by the lack of sill steps I suspect the photo must be taken before 1910. However, I'm unable to get closer to establishing a date for the photo than that on my own.

Are there among us any with a deep knowledge of Grand Trunk rolling stock? It'd be nice to be able to wrap some dates around the photo, but I'd also be curious how long this car (or its brethren) was in service.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

All the best,

James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD

Ian Cranstone

James, GT 16205 is a Pullman product built in July 1907 as part of the 15250-16499 series of 36' boxcars. Following the amalgamation of the Grand Trunk into the Canadian National system in 1923, this particular car was assigned CN 337271, with the last car being retired and/or renumbered during the 1936-38 time period.

Although these cars were similar dimensionally to Fowlers, they predated them by several years, and were actually a double-sheathed all-wood design (I have a photo of CN 337408) -- although steel centre sills would have been added in the 1920s if they weren't built with them. Although one example remained on the roster as late as 1956, their number began to decline in the early 1930s as CN acquired a large fleet of 40' single-sheathed cars. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that a number of these cars found their way into service as bunk cars during this period, as CN preferred the double-sheathed wood cars for this purpose.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@nakina.net
http://freightcars.nakina.net