Topics

Cleanout or washout track for reefers a Question (Procedures)

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

Neville-

Here are some notes on Cleaning Refrigerator Cars from the Santa Fe.

These are from the booklet, "Rules Governing The Cleaning, Fumigation and Sanitation of Passenger, Work and Freight Equipment, Cars, Diesel Locomotives and Parts".

This text originally was written March 1, 1915, and was revised September 1, 1964.

"CLEANING FREIGHT EQUIPMENT
Refrigerator Cars-Interior:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD WATER BE ALLOWED TO STAND ON THE INTERIOR OF REFRIGERATOR CARS.

Sweep floor and walls, being sure all crack are cleaned. If sweeping does not properly clean, due to molasses, paint, etc., such portions of the wall or floor should be scraped. If necessary, follow scraping with a scrub brush and cleaning solution, Item 3-A or 3-F, with warm water, or, Item No. 8-K with hot water.

The bunkers of cars shall be cleaned by sweeping walls and drip pans. Clean drip cups and drain pipes of all dirt and refuse. Water under pressure may be used in bunkers only, for cleaning purposes.

Ceilings and walls of refrigerators [sic] shall be washed regularly with cleaning solution, Item No. 3-A or 3-F, mixed with 2 to 4 oz. per gallon of warm water."

The requirement to wash "ceilings and walls … regularly" does not define "regularly".

Item 3-A is two approved cleaners, Turco RR#1 and C&H #55, both semi-paste cleaners. Item 3-F is Oakite #202-BD, a liquid cleaner. Item 8-K is two granular cleaners, Dearborn Chemical Sanitizer and Oakite Products Disanite.

Most of this information probably is more than most of us ever need to know, but here it is for factoid collectors everywhere.

Bob Chaparro
Moderator
Citrus Industry Modeling Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citrusmodeling/

David Payne

In a message dated 6/28/2009 10:09:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rossiters@optusnet.com.au writes:

I think before you build anything whether it's a cleaning area, an
industry
or a freight car you have to have an understanding of the process or
purpose, this information while might seem tedious to some helps in
designing the model in fact as we all know building the model is usually
the
easy part gathering or researching for it is the hard part.

Neville,

I certainly agree. The model press devotes little, if any space, to how
freight cars are loaded or unloaded and this, to me, is absolutely vital in
properly modeling the freight equipment and the industry whether receiving or
shipping.

David Payne
Acworth, Ga

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323006x1201367222/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)

Neville Rossiter <rossiters@...>

Bob and members.
I think before you build anything whether it's a cleaning area, an industry
or a freight car you have to have an understanding of the process or
purpose, this information while might seem tedious to some helps in
designing the model in fact as we all know building the model is usually the
easy part gathering or researching for it is the hard part.
Thanks Bob.
Take care. Neville.

[...]

David.
You could be right in saying that and it can be frustrating, but I don't
want to get into that subject as I am new here and had the audacity to ask
for help on virtually my first posting.
I have had trouble finding information with another freight car unloading
area and have shelved the idea till I can spend more time on it maybe I
haven't asked the right people but I will get the cleaning area finished
first before I start on another project.
And I stress I truly appreciate the help I've been given so far.
Thanks.