Topics

Reweigh Dates (was Re: B&O 26th St Terminal aerial view from 1951)

David Payne

In a message dated 7/2/2009 9:05:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cepropst@netconx.net writes:

Big problem I've having is I'm running out of reweigh dates (he models 65)
Does anyone make a decal set of just reweigh symbols and dates?

At this time (1965), cars were required to be re-weighed at least every ???
years. What was the ???

They were also required to be re-weighed when re-built; correct?

Thanks.

DPayne

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&;hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

DPayne wrote:
At this time (1965), cars were required to be re-weighed at least every ??? years. What was the ???
On this list we know nothing past 1960 <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Frank Greene

davidcofga@aol.com wrote:
At this time (1965), cars were required to be re-weighed at least every ??? years. What was the ???
They were also required to be re-weighed when re-built; correct?

David, I can't answer the 1st question about how often cars were reweighed, but certainly they were supposed to be reweighed when changes altered the weight, such as when DF rails, cross-bars, bulkheads, etc., were installed or removed. However, they were not always reweighed. In the forthcoming Southern Railway 50' steel box car book there is a photo of 39272, built in 1947, documented by Hayne Shop as being equipped with auto parts racks in 1955 (and listed as "XAP" in the Jan. 1955 and Oct. 1960 ORERs), and photographed at Augusta, GA, in 1974 with a recent patch over the "DF", and new "When Empty Return To SOU RY" and "XM" stencils indicating the DF equipment was removed. However, the light weight stencil says "HE. 6-68."

--

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN